• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guess who started the Royals' turnaround this year?

fan_since79

Wait, you're actually serious?

If veteran presence was that valuable, every team would be getting guys like Ibanez to help out. 

He didn't help at the plate or in the field, but you can't deny the immediate and extreme turnaround after that meeting.

If team meetings were irrelevant, teams would never have them.

9-18 before, 19-4 after.

I never made any point about his "veteran presence", only that the team caught fire after he called that meeting. It changed the whole tone of their season. Look at what he said to them. They still believe those words, that's why they're playing inspired baseball.

I get what you're saying: Sosh can't compete with the best team in the league.

I thought what he was saying is that before Sosh the team was so bad they didn't make the playoffs.

Doing numbers are stupid. Include that percentage before Sosh....yeah, doesn't look so sex or relevant, does it?

Actually, I think it was the guy who took the bat out of his 2nd best hitter's hands and had him try to bunt on a 2-0 and 3-1 pitch. Seems like ever since that unbelievable gift, they've been unstoppable.

I would agree if the first amazing catch in right center field didn't happen on the first pitch of the game against the Angels.

Jesus Christ guys if you want to repeat yourselves go and reopen those threads, don't litter more threads, with the bunting or not bunting and the Scioscia is an idiot crap.

give_me_your_thread.jpg

some people will stop at nothing to make their point over and over again.

Edited by True Grich

If I were to follow the logic of the argument in the op, Dipoto should be fired for cutting Ibanez.  We would be in the WS if he had stayed on the Angels.

That doesn't follow logically at all. I never made that assertion or implied it. I just think it's cool that Raul called that meeting and helped them regain their confidence. He was a good presence here in the clubhouse. No complaints about that from me. He just couldn't hit, and we needed production from our DH spot.

Every successful team does have players like that.

Veteran presence is invaluable for a young team.

The Astros kids will need that kind of guidance eventually as well. 

Sure, it has its' value but the point made above was stating that Ibanez's speech was responsible from the team going from a 9-18 stretch to a 19-4 stretch. 

People don't think that speech was actually that valuable do they? 

For the record, I do think having a veteran presence does help some. Just not as valuable as some make it out to be. 

He didn't help at the plate or in the field, but you can't deny the immediate and extreme turnaround after that meeting.

If team meetings were irrelevant, teams would never have them.

9-18 before, 19-4 after.

I never made any point about his "veteran presence", only that the team caught fire after he called that meeting. It changed the whole tone of their season. Look at what he said to them. They still believe those words, that's why they're playing inspired baseball.

I'm sure the speech helped a bit. I'm not denying that. 

But I'm highly skeptical of saying that was the sole reason for them turning it around. They were very streaky the whole season. 

Plus, there's the whole "correlation doesn't imply causation" thing. 

If I were to follow the logic of the argument in the op, Dipoto should be fired for cutting Ibanez.  We would be in the WS if he had stayed on the Angels.

It could be argued that Dipoto's was forced to cut Ibanez because he had become one of "Scioscia's toys", that is, while he still had value as a veteran clubhouse guy and pinch hitter off the bench, that's not how he was being used in the game.  The fact that he was penciled ionto the cleanup spot in a regular basis ahead of players like Collin Cowgill and Grant Green meant that he was a net negative to the Angels yet still could have proven valuable to the Royals.