• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What OPS do Pujols and Hamilton each need in 2015 to be satisfactory?

Does anyone think that one more high priced free agent signing would've made a difference during the ALDS? Arte will not sign anymore high priced players in the near future. His focus will be on getting that land in Anaheim. Interesting that the team picked up Dipoto's one year option instead of extending him while Freidman was handed the entire baseball operations across the street. Arte has figured it out and he's not sold. He's stuck with Scioscia, Hamilton and Pujols. He's not stuck with Dipoto.

Tell me the last time a big name free agent was signed for what he will do versus what he has done? Welcome to the cost of big name free agents. We are not the only ones doing this we just care far less about how bad other contracts are out there. Case in point, some people here would trade Hamilton for ARod, perhaps the stupidest thing I've read on here. Hamilton has isolated himself to some fans on here, ARod has isolated himself from his team, the sport and every single fan of the sport.

To the OP, I will be satisfied with our three big money players if they get us to the post season and perform well.

Then why are we constantly buying big name FA?

The Cardinals do just the opposite, they let suckers like the Angels take their expired goods, and it doesn't seem to negatively effect them at all.

In fact, none of the four teams left rely on big name FAs.

wRC+ of 125 would be acceptable from both.  Providing some semblance of lineup depth would be key.  

You could argue that Pujols is still capable of being a middle of the lineup guy.  He's got a little dangerous in him.  

Hamilton is a 25mil per year platoon player or 4th OFer.  Any season from him where he can be a capable 4/5 hitter and provide some level of lineup presence would be a total bonus.  

Fortunately, the lineup is very balanced.  We had the best offense in the league and there wasn't one player you could consider as having some sort of crazy aberrant good season.  

So as long as Pujols and Hamilton give us similar performances, I expect the offense to be pretty similar.  

We need one strong rotation arm and maybe a Grilli type for the pen.  That will keep us in the mix to be tops in the division.  Another back end rotation arm would be a nice bonus.  Pipe dream would be that even if they keep Josh around, they go out and get a leadoff type for the OF and move everyone down a spot.  Don't think they'll spend the money on that and frankly I'd rather see them get pitching anyway.  Pujols won't be moving out of the three spot regardless.  

Yeah, but how do we beat KC next year? :)

Both need to be between .850 and .900.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Pujols started hitting better after a dismal end of May and June, the Angels suddenly got hot. If you took away his June, his slugging numbers were quite good. 

May .234 / .293 / .439

June .271 / .308 / .365.

Rest of the year .281 / .335 / .493

Something was wrong with Albert here, either injury, mechanics, or maybe he was just trying to do too much with Hamilton and Calhoun out plus Freese Struggling. 

I want one year, where Albert produces something like his 2009 season. His slump that year was a month at a .900 OPS. Now I know that's not realistic as he's slowed down, but maybe he needs to come in to camp with less weight, or do more weight training or something. 

Hamilton though has been a mess since his 2010 campaign. He struggles for large portions of the season. Mainly injury related, but we saw what he could do for a week before he broke his hand. I hope he comes back into camp healthy and ready to contribute. If not, after next year, he may be on the block. 

I'm still wondering if this whole idea that Arte stepped in on both signings is based in reality or just a fan concoction. I mean it makes sense, but I'm not sure where it is coming from.

It's been bugging me and I'm sure we'll never find out.

I think most of the trades and smaller budget moves he's made, have coincided with his philosophy and approach.

The big budget signings have gone against what he has repeatedly said he believes needs to be accomplished to build a successful franchise.

The Angelswin spring training interview stands out for me.

Of course, there have been a few duds and some trades are still up in the air, but I think we can all agree he's done a great job thus far.

I don't believe Dipoto was the one making the decision on guys like Pujols and Hamilton.

If he was, he probably would've been canned by now.

Edited by Poozy

The biggest disappointment with Pujols the past 4 seasons (3 of them here) has likely been the marked decrease in unintentional BBs.

Up through 2010, he averaged 68 unintentional BBs a season. 

Since 2011, he's averaged only 38 unintentional BBs a season. 

That plus the vastly decreased BA has led him to average just a .341 OBP since 2011, after averaging a .425 OBP through 2010.

Any wonder now why people are pissed at his contribution so far for the $240 million?

He's become like anyone else on this team not named Calhoun or Trout.   Swing at anything.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The biggest disappointment with Pujols the past 4 seasons (3 of them here) has likely been the marked decrease in unintentional BBs.

Up through 2010, he averaged 68 unintentional BBs a season. 

Since 2011, he's averaged only 38 unintentional BBs a season. 

That plus the vastly decreased BA has led him to average just a .341 OBP since 2011, after averaging a .425 OBP through 2010.

Any wonder now why people are pissed at his contribution so far for the $240 million?

He's become like anyone else on this team not named Calhoun or Trout.   Swing at anything.

Funny, I was just going to post something similar. The 2009 season Albert's protection (4th and 5th batters) was worse with the Cards than with the Angels last year. Yet he took the walk then. Pitch selection has definitely changed.

Ultimately, it goes to Arte. Yes, I get that Arte wants to win. But he made the same mistakes that the O's and the Skanks made from the 2000s forward (too many aging players to big salaries).

You can use this same analogy as to why Hamilton was in the lineup during the playoffs. I have no doubt Arte wanted him to play.

That's your and others problem. You actually believe they will play to the value of their contracts.

I already conceded that they are bad contracts so my expectations are lower.

You wouldn't be expecting as much out of him, that's for sure. It would also be easier to get rid of him for sucking.

And to answer your question, no.

? I sure don't expect Pujols or Hamilton to perform to the value of their contracts. They're both massive busts already.

The thing is, with such a large deal comes large expectations and a much longer leash. Regarding Hammy... do you think that it's OK to expect a league average player (at best) who is set to make $83 million for the next 3 years? $83 million over 3 years for a part-time league average player..? Does that sound ok?

And because of his name and contract he has a longer leash. If he sucks they're stuck with him unless they just release him.

Edited by Angels

The Hamilton drama has been way over blown here. The guy is a team player and clearly wants to win. I believe a healthy Hamilton next season will be good for the team. Hamilton isn't getting released anytime soon and can be traded only if he wants to be.

My guess is Hamilton will put up a OPS greater than .800 if healthy.

It's been bugging me and I'm sure we'll never find out.

I think most of the trades and smaller budget moves he's made, have coincided with his philosophy and approach.

The big budget signings have gone against what he has repeatedly said he believes needs to be accomplished to build a successful franchise.

The Angelswin spring training interview stands out for me.

Of course, there have been a few duds and some trades are still up in the air, but I think we can all agree he's done a great job thus far.

I don't believe Dipoto was the one making the decision on guys like Pujols and Hamilton.

If he was, he probably would've been canned by now.

You can use this same analogy as to why Hamilton was in the lineup during the playoffs. I have no doubt Arte wanted him to play.

I agree with both of these. The fact that both Dipoto and Scioscia remain un-fired strongly implies than Moreno has been directly intervening in both roster decisions and on-field decisions.

Neither have been fired since the team finished with the best record in the league.

"If you lose the last game of the year, nobody cares how many games you won during the regular season" -- Billy Beane, Oakland Athletics GM, 2002