• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Randal Grichuk

Blarg

Grichuk strikes out A LOT and doesn't walk much. Unless he shows some better plate discipline he's not going to amount to anything special.

He also struck out a lot and didn't walk much at AAA and his overall numbers weren't anything to write home about. 102 wRC+ at AAA

I see Grichuk as a future .270/.800, 25 HR hitter with good defense and a few SB. 3-4 WAR is certainly possible.

In other words, better than Josh Hamilton.

so you're comparing what Grichuk may become to Hamilton's current production?

Not really sure what that proves.

and to answer somebody else's question, the reason he was included in the trade was because we weren't getting Freese for just Petey.

so you're comparing what Grichuk may become to Hamilton's current production?

Not really sure what that proves.

and to answer somebody else's question, the reason he was included in the trade was because we weren't getting Freese for just Petey.

Ironically Grichuk and Petey might get their first championship rings before Trout or Hamilton.

I see Grichuk as a future .270/.800, 25 HR hitter with good defense and a few SB. 3-4 WAR is certainly possible.

In other words, better than Josh Hamilton.

Do you know how many player seasons there have been for a RFer to have a WAR above 3 with an obp of .330 or less, an avg of .280 or less and 25hrs or less in the last 100 years?

there have been 14 seasons that fit that criteria.  Oddly enough, Calhoun had one this year.  

If offense keeps declining, and defense becomes more important, it could happen more often, but my point is that I think his value is being overestimated.  

Do you know how many player seasons there have been for a RFer to have a WAR above 3 with an obp of .330 or less, an avg of .280 or less and 25hrs or less in the last 100 years?

there have been 14 seasons that fit that criteria.  Oddly enough, Calhoun had one this year.  

If offense keeps declining, and defense becomes more important, it could happen more often, but my point is that I think his value is being overestimated.  

Number likely goes way up if you expand that to corner OF instead of just right fielder.

Alex Gordon springs to mind as an example of someone wiht very high WAR (6.6, second highest in the AL) despite bein a left fielder with hitting numbers comparable to what you said. ( 19HR, .266 AVG .350 OBP -- I'm aware you said OBP below .330 but 6.6 is also a lot larger than 3)

Edited by ScottLux

Number likely goes way up if you expand that to corner OF instead of just right fielder.

Alex Gordon springs to mind as an example of someone wiht very high WAR (6.6, second highest in the AL) despite bein a left fielder with hitting numbers comparable to what you said. ( 19HR, .266 AVG .350 OBP -- I'm aware you said OBP below .330 but 6.6 is also a lot larger than 3)

13 more seasons. if you include LFers.  So 27 player seasons in the last 100 years.  

That's kind of the point though.  Grichuk isn't likely to sniff anywhere near a .350 obp.  

Last year Gordon did it with an obp of .327, and his 3.5 WAR is the 5th highest all time for LFer meeting that criteria in the history of baseball.  

We are talking about some seriously rarefied air here.  Even if you exclude the hr criteria and allow any number of hrs, there are only 45

If you include 20 stolen bases or less, there are 17 for all corner OFers.  17 seasons of all qualified corner OFers that meet that criteria in the last 100 years of baseball.  A category that includes almost 1100 players seasons.  So we are talking about being among a group of about 2%.    

Grichuk>Salas

At the time I thought it was a great trade, now I don't know because of the Grichuk factor and the fact that Salas sucks. I guess it depends on how well Freese does for us next season. Salas frustrates me almost to the level of Frieri.