• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Beckham wants to stay, but unsure where he'll land

I can't see the Angels paying Beckham the money he will get in arbitration as a bench guy.... I think he's "plan B" if the Angels trade Howie.  I don't think Grant Green is going to get a shot (right or wrong) as a starter.  He's already 27 and appears limited defensively.

I assume McDonald retires..........if you non-tender Beckham you can probably get him back if you want.........

I wouldn't over-pay for him.......he did contribute and did provide bench depth at al INF positions.

I preferred McDonald as a late inning defensive replacement but 1,) McDonald is probably retiring and 2.) Beckham not quite the glove McDonald is, but better bat with some pop and is probably a better choice to pinch run as well.........

As for McDonald, in ST we had several non-roster MIF invitee types -- I couldn't figure out why we invited them when we had enough options within the system (at that point, Romine was still a Halo)....one guy I thought was real surplusage during ST was McDonald...........I didn't think at age 39 he was the best of the bunch of ST non-roster invitees -- I was amazed when at the end of the day he made the 25 man roster.......within weeks, IMO, he proved his value to club........he was a solid contributor in a bench depth (late inning defensive replacement, guy to come off the bench to sac bunt, pinch runner) all season......if he his final BA was close to .200 or where-ever he ended up........

Our bench is probably the biggest contributor to our successful season.  If it wasn't for Cowgill, Navarro, Green, and Cron stepping up for injuries we probably would have been out of the race in June.

And yet, the bench is still a major focus for the Angels this offseason. Straight from the official website. Cowgill had a pretty big decline in numbers in the second half, Cron isn't the solution long term at DH or 1st (limits value especially since he can only play one position and doesn't hit enough to justify being the everyday DH), and Navarro is a nice player to have around, but there are better solutions

Bench/designated hitter: Dipoto identified this department as "a focus of our offseason." Last winter, the Angels signed 41-year-old Raul Ibanez to take over that spot, only to release him in June and have a revolving door all year (until finally settling on Cron in the ALDS). This offseason, the Angels will try to acquire more functional pieces that can rotate and also play the field, with Pujols and Hamilton increasingly needing time at DH. They're also expected to be in the market for a utility infielder, unless the Angels surprisingly tender Beckham a contract.

Edited by nikkachez

I like Howie Kendrick, but if he can land us a 3 or 4 guy on a short term deal (similar to the Vargas/Morales trade), I might not object to a Green/Beckham platoon at second.

As the Royals have demonstrated, fielding wins in the postseason. 

Kendrick >> Beckham >>>> Green

....Cron isn't the solution long term at DH or 1st (limits value especially since he can only play one position and doesn't hit enough to justify being the everyday DH), and Navarro is a nice player to have around, but there are better solutions

Way too soon to give up on Cron....he's hit everywhere he's been...pretty good year for a rookie....

They don't have to tender Beckham a contract to potentially keep him. They can simply say "we want you back and we will pay you $3 million." If nobody offers him more, he takes that offer. If someone offers him more, he goes to that team. Doesn't mean the Angels can't compete for his services.

He's due for about 5-6 million in arbitration. I like what he showed but it was a small sample. His career 83 wRC+ and 5.3 WAR shows that he's pretty much a replacement level player. 

I would like to keep him if he was cheaper but I don't see the need to pay 5 million for him when Green can provide similar value for the league minimum.