• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Miller: Hamilton's comments, like his performance, anything but comical

The Angels and Hamilton need to do some damage control or this could get worse next season and beyond. Hamilton for A-Rod could help both teams and give both players a fresh start. Hamilton could get his confidence back with that short RF porch and A-Rod could be more productive than Freese for a couple of seasons.

A fresh start for both.

The Angels and Hamilton need to do some damage control or this could get worse next season and beyond. Hamilton for A-Rod could help both teams and give both players a fresh start. Hamilton could get his confidence back with that short RF porch and A-Rod could be more productive than Freese for a couple of seasons.

A fresh start for both.

I am actually coming around on this idea. Just might work for both teams

No way in hell would I do that trade. A-Rod has missed a year, is expensive, and probably won't be any better than Freese. Not to mention he is a pariah. Hamilton gets one more start to a season to see what he can do. If he starts slow then platoon him, just like Scioscia has been prone to do in the past. Besides, I'm guessing the Yanks simply release A-Rod.

Oddly Miller's article had nothing in it that hasn't discussed on the board over the last week. I had expected something a little more in depth that contained maybe even a few quotes that supported his article rather than just an editorial of Fletcher's reporting.

Honestly, this just shows the myopia of some fans on this site.  They would prefer a-rod, a player who is universally despised, was declining before his suspension and hasn't played in an entire year and a known liar, cheater and complete douchebag in every way possible over hamilton.

Eeeesh.

In my opionion, this situation is going nowhere.  Hamilton has to learn some basic public relations skills, and the fans are going to have to moderate their hatred of Hamilton.  The simple economics of the situation will have him here at least a couple of more years, or until he performs well enough to be desirable elsewhere.  As for the Miller article, I'm as disappointed at Miller for not letting this one drop.  There is nothing new in the article, it only serves to inflame the situation by focusing on parts of what Hamilton originally said. If you read the original full text of what Hamilton said it was ill advised to say it regardless of what he thinks.  I'm sure there are other players who play mostly for their teammates, and don't really care about what the fans think of their game, they just don't say it.  With social media in the state it is today, the fans will extrapolate his comments into all kinds of bad contexts, true or not.

As much as we criticize the unwritten code in baseball play, there is also an unwritten code in what players, front office personnel, and coaches can say, and how they should act that will be acceptable to the fans.  Some fans and media personnel live for that code to be violated so they can criticize, or make news.  Most fans have never had to make comments to the press, or see the results of their comments written and permanently publicized.  It's a skill to keep yourself from putting your foot in your mouth.  I don't think Hamilton has that skill, and neither does Arte at times.  So when Arte signed him I don't think they took that skill into consideration.  Arte has been a lot quieter this year, and Hamilton just needs to shut up.  And Miller needs to come up with a new approach, and write something more intelligent.

I wonder if Fletcher wishes he han't written that Hamilton article.

I believe Fletcher wrote it because it sells newspapers, or he knew that it would be controversial and be discussed further.  I don't think it was a mistake to write or print it.  It was a mistake for Hamilton to say anything like he did in response, regardless of his beliefs. "No comment" would have been the better answer.  There are a thousand better answers.  He could have said, "I was disappointed in their response (the booing), I tried my best to help my team.  I couldn't do it, so I understand that they were also dissappointed, as was I.  I'm am also sorry I couldn't support my teammates with a better performance."

Tim Mead, please have a discussion with this guy.  Hamilton, take your family on a nice vacation somewhere, preferably in another country.

Edited by tomsred

Astute post, tomsred.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that the main reason Hamilton is disliked by fans is not his mouth, but his bat (or lack thereof).

Yep, if you can hit well, then you can say what you really think more often.  You earn the privilege I guess.