• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THREE POSSIBLE FUTURES FOR MIKE TROUT

The point being, the "hit-before-power" approach of 2012-13 not only yields better results but, according to Blengino, would also bring greater longevity.

I absolutely agree. It's as if his ability to legitimately shorten his swing and just make contact has gone away. As I said in previous posts, I really do believe that Tori was a huge influence on him in 2012 as far as his approach going the other way and just making contact in 2 strike, clutch situations.

lol, no F'n way!

Chuck Trout has been nothing short of amazing. But there some red flags. Many actually. His defense regressed. His speed regressed. It's not even that he attempted fewer SBs, he looked awful in the last one.

He is impatient at the plate which leads to a lot of things like, first pitch automatic strikes, and poorer hitting in deeper counts.

I don't like the power trout. I liked the connect bat to ball trout.

We all desire Pujols and Hamilton to be what they once were. Doesn't look like we will get our way.

Pitchers are adjusting to MT. If he doesn't adjust, the numbers will slip.

Most importantly since I believe the Halos are one of the more jinxed teams in MLB, they've been pretty much murdered by any long term deal with a big name.

So far Weaver is the only one who is earning it. I hope Trout doesn't get screwed and his hunger isn't diminshed by the big deal.

There's a lot of possible futures. Expecting 10 WAR seasons was/is ridiculous.  Comparing him to Trumbo is ridiculous.  There's a lot of room in between that may or may not involve postseason success, Mickey Mantle comparisons, and a stint with a team other than the Angels. It'd be great if he is a lifetime Angel and HOF player...  and I think those two things will happen.  

For now, I'm enjoying the fact the Angels have the best player in baseball.   His major weakness is probably correctable.   He seems to be a good dude.   I like it... and don't understand why some focus on comparisons that are a long way off, his performance over one three game stretch, and a high number of strikeouts.  

One thing to remember is that Trout is 23 years old and it still developing as a player. 

That said, it did seem to me that Trout made a choice to become more of a power hitter this season which is why his power numbers and strike outs went through the roof.

Personally, I'd prefer for Trout to hit "only" 25-30 HR, see him strike out less, walk more and get more doubles/singles.

The Angels don't need Trout to be an elite power hitter.  They need him to get on base, score runs and drive in runs.

I forgot to say that it really was a great article by Jonathan. My question is, lets say Trout is able to get back to his old ways striking out less and making better contact. Is that an adjustment that he can make by himself? I think its a reasonable assumption given his age and his history of making adjustments not only within a game, but within an AB. But to paraphrase the article, that aspect of his game just wasn't there in 2014.

So lets just say hypothetically that its more of a mental approach problem, which I tend to think it is. Can Baylor be the guy to fix him? That's what I'm worried about. I know they say not to give too much credit to the hitting coach and there is only so much they can do, but who knows what the right hitting coach could do with Trout, and this teams full offensive potential?

Thanks for the complement, Angelsfirst.

I think Trout himself has to decide which hitter he wants to be, whether he wants to be "hit-before-power" as in 2012-13 or "power-before-hit" as in 2014, when every single at-bat seemed to be a swing for the fences.

So the problem doesn't seem to be mental or physical, but intentional. Trout intended to hit more HR this year, he intends to hit it out every time he goes up to the plate. This is a classic mistake that young players make. I think the best that Baylor and others can do is to convince him that he's actually a better player--which he is--when he is "hit-before-power."

As a baseline, we're talking about a range of .320 with 25 HR to .270 with 40 HR. I'm guessing that he settles on something in the .300/30-35 HR range.

Thanks for the complement, Angelsfirst.

I think Trout himself has to decide which hitter he wants to be, whether he wants to be "hit-before-power" as in 2012-13 or "power-before-hit" as in 2014, when every single at-bat seemed to be a swing for the fences.

So the problem doesn't seem to be mental or physical, but intentional. Trout intended to hit more HR this year, he intends to hit it out every time he goes up to the plate. This is a classic mistake that young players make. I think the best that Baylor and others can do is to convince him that he's actually a better player--which he is--when he is "hit-before-power."

It looks like Trout has actually lost a considerably amount of raw speed, which has nothing to do with his approach while batting.  I think the switch to hitting for more power and reduction in stolen bases is a reaction to the loss in speed, not the cause of the loss in speed. I don't think it's a reversible change. 

It's very easy to see that Trout changed his hitting approach this season because of Miguel Cabrera.

2012 Cabrera 44hr's / 139rbi's = MVP (Trout MVP-2)

2013 Cabrera 44hr's / 137rbi's = MVP (Trout MVP-2)

Trout muscled up this season and increased his Hr's and Rbi's but created some other correctable flaws. His BA went down while his K's went up.