• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Donnie Moore Article

Biergott

Actually if you read the article it was common knowledge he was beating her.  Also he doesn't get a pass, he's a bad guy.  I just wonder if someone had stepped up and helped years ago if the whole thing could have been averted.  

Plus, the fans weren't booing him because he was beating his wife, they were booing him because he gave up a home run.

Why was he remembered as the one guy who blew that game? Because he was one strike away from ending it? One could just as easily blame Mauch, Witt, Lucas, Wilfong or DeCinces.

The article talks about how the Angels counterpunched in the bottom of the ninth and almost won it in the 10th. What no one ever talks about is how the Angels were the first team ever to overcome a three-run deficit in the ninth inning to win a game in the postseason just the night before. That game never happened now.

As for Moore, reading this article I don't feel sorry for him any more. I've seen my own mother suffer in a verbally abusive and controlling relationship. No matter how many good things a person has done for you, you never are able to respect them again when you see them pushing someone weaker around.

Edited by Angelfish

Downing Rules makes a good point -- different time, different place.

It not reported much anywhere (so little in fact, that one of the real experts on Angels franchise history, Rob Goldman, was unaware of this at one point when I mentioned it on a thread post a year or so back) but the first mental health type 'disability' case for MLB was former Halos player (and AL batting champion in the 70's) Alex Johnson.

Alex Johnson was a player and hitter with tremendous physical talent and strength and lots of personal demons. His erratic behavior was nerve-racking, highest of highs, lowest of lows, outright incidents of nastiness to team mates, managers and coaches coupled with being a guy who would never turn away a kid asking for an autograph..........he would act like he didn't want to play and take himself out of the line - up -- all of this got his traded to St. Louis and later Philadelphia where his once significant ability at the plate stalled to a halt and the ugly off field incidents involving team mates and club officials continued........he ended up getting released.........

The late MLB Player rep, Marvin Miller, then led a years long effort to get Johnson appropriate pension benefits as MLB's first case of a player retired because of a mental disability.