• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com's 10th Anniversary Member Appreciation Interview with yk9000

10th-anniversayURL-LARGE-01.jpg

This week we celebrate our 10th anniversary with an interview with long time member, yk9000. Paul brings intelligent (and controversial) topics for discussion to our forum, demonstrating a knack for getting things going when it comes to conversation threads on our website. A participant of our Softball Tournaments over the years, Paul has poured into AngelsWin.com in many ways over the years and we love him! 

Let's find out a little about yk9000 in this week's member appreciation post. 

AngelsWin.com: When and how did you first come to AngelsWin.com?

yk9000:  I came over from the ESPN site when most everyone else did - the Great Migration of 2004.

AngelsWin.com:  What keeps you coming back to the site?

yk9000:  The smart-aleck posters, as well as the informative posters.  I really like the forums.  I like reading points of view different from my own.  I know its a cliche, but I feel a kinship with a lot of people here, even though I have barely (or never) met them. 

My kids, years ago, jokingly referred to this message board as the "nerd board".  Nobody in my family even knows the name "Angelswin"... its just known as "the nerd board".  I like that.

AngelsWin.com:  What have been some of your favorite articles and threads? 

yk9000:  I liked the all-time greatest games articles.  I also like any thread, baseball related or not, that goes off the rails, in a direction completely opposite of its original topic.  Nutswingers vs. Failos is like catnip for me.

AngelsWin.com:  What in-person events have you attended from AngelsWin.com (Spring/Summer Fanfests, Charity Golf, Charity Softball)?

yk9000:  I've been to several softball games over the years, and have enjoyed every one of them.  I am not much of a fan of Spring Training, and as a CPA, it isn't in a convenient time, so I won't be making it out to Tempe.

I've made it to a few happy hours, and bailed on a couple others that I promised to attend - one of which Blarg made Raisin Roundies ( a running joke on one of the Hangout threads) for me.  I still feel bad about that.

AngelsWin.com:  Why is AngelsWin.com your internet home for the Angels?

yk9000: I get all the information I need in one stop.

AngelsWin.com:  In your opinion, what is AngelsWin.com’s best feature: the articles, charitable events, game-day chat, message boards, Fanfests, podcasts, etc?

yk9000: 1. Message boards.  2. Message boards.  3. Message boards.

Lighter Side

AngelsWin.com:  Where do you live and what do you do?

yk9000:  Lakewood, CA.  I am controller and compliance officer for an investment firm.

AngelsWin.com: Why are you an Angels fan?

yk9000:  I was born in Northridge, CA, but lived all over the country growing up.  I never really had a home team to root for until high school.  I lived in Maryland, and was a pretty big Orioles fan.  We moved back out to Southern California in 1983, and I found it harder and harder to root for a team across the country (this was pre-internet).  And, my team, the Orioles, went from having such homegrown talent, to signing free agents like Fred Lynn and Ray Knight, guys I had no connection with.  I think that is one of the reasons I don't like FA signings today.

Anyways, I went on my first date with my wife, Judy, in 1990 to an Angels game.  Her grandparents were original season ticket holders, and our seats were right behind the visitor's dugout.  It was an easy switch to make the Angels.  The early 1990s Angels teams were terrible, but the seats were great.  I got hooked on the Angels.

AngelsWin.com:  What was your first Angels game that you remember? Who’d you go with?

yk9000:  Spring 1985 - I went with my college buddy, Rich.  A day game against the A's, in the old Big A set up.  Upper deck, near the LF foul pole.

AngelsWin.com:  Who have been your favorite players? Why? Any great stories or interactions with them?

yk9000:  I like Scot Shields.  I loved those years of dominance from him, with little 'maintenance'.  Actually, I am pretty partial to anyone from that 2002 team (except the lousy startiing pitching).

AngelsWin.com:  How do you survive the offseason?

yk9000:  NFL Red Zone

AngelsWin.com: What’s one thing you’d like everyone in AngelsWin.com to know about you?

yk9000: Not one damn thing :)
-IO3iV8cZh0

View the full article

Thanks for having this place, Chuck.  And sorry for chasing your friend off the site.

Here are some updates.  I drive by the grass clippings guy's house once in a while.  His lawn looks impecible, while my church-friend's lawn looks like sh*t.  My niece and nephew got me some glitter and crap, to dump on his lawn, for my xmas gift last year.  They didn't like the eggs part.  Nobody does.  I deposited that glittery stuff on his pristine lawn sometime this year.  Not as messy as eggs, but I am sure a pain in the ass to clean.  The story of the eggs comes up from time to time with friends - nobody approves of my original egg plan.

Brandon, I have forgotten which stories about my dad I have told and haven’t told, but here’s one, not from when I was a kid, but as an adult..  My brother’s kid was graduating high school, (locally in SoCal) and my parents weren’t going to the kid’s hs graduation.  I asked my dad why he and my mom weren’t going to the graduation.  His response:  “If we go to one of the grandkids’ high school graduation, we’ll have to go to them all.”

Here’s another update:  Longtime posters may remember my oldest, my stepson, who was a marine a few years ago.  He's been out of the marines for a few years. He accepted employment this year as…. Wait for it… a fireman!  In a department in Southern California.  Man, when I saw that list of benes, my heart soared.  God bless him, I hope he will be soaking up the overtime, the benefits, the retirement package… until the state of California runs dry!

My respect goes out to your son that is choosing to become a fireman. I still remember vividly the firemen from the twin towers on 9-11. Smoking burning buildings, panicked people running down the stairs to get out side and save themselves. And then there were the firemen running up those same stairs to save others that maybe couldn't find their ways to the stairwells. Or were scared stiff and couldn't move. These heroes rounding up victims and getting them to the stairwell while continuing up the stairs until the buildings collapsed. Taking with it hundreds of firemen and first responders. Mrs Splint and I have made baskets for our local fire station for over 20 years at the holidays to show our appreciation for all they do. I have gotten a tad choked up while thanking them over the last 13 years. But we don't miss a year.much love and respect for the Herod in our midst.