• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"They aren't trying, or don't care"

Don't forget that Arte is content because he gets 3 million fans and doesn't care about winning.

My favorite is that these athletes who are super competitive and have to be in order to make it to the big leagues, stop trying after getting big contracts.

It comes down to simple minded people wanting easy answers because they feel like they were wronged.

It really lacks common sense to actually believe the players don't care.  Appearing even slightly dejected with their play while the Royals are continuing to find that extra sparka and emotion,  most likely creates this impression.  I think the Royals pulled momentum from the defensive plays, when the Angels botched some.  That coupled with knowing they were the underdog, tied and victory within reach against the number 1 seed, it possibly gave the Royals that extra intensity.

Edited by acro2008

I believe that when you are the favorite, or have the best record, teams likely have more of a "we belong here" attitude and act as such where these wild card teams and small market teams carry on a "no one believes in us" attitude. It shows on the field.

Well said junky!  The "they don't care" explanation, especially tied to "as long as they get paid" is just silliness.  I've read some of the boards of the teams that got eliminated so far.  The fans go through the same old tired moaning, groaning, and blaming as our fans do.  After you read it after almost every year, it's gets hard to take it seriously anymore.  They are just emotional reactions, and it makes them irrational.  Also many people take same sample sizes, and try to draw big conclusions from them.  Sully has it right, maybe they "just sucked for a week."  Few people or organizations have lifetimes when they "never suck, or events suck" for weeks or months at a time for that matter.

I can also understand why players react so defensively to fan reactions at times, winning tends to be taken for granted, failure gets magnified and brought up over and over.  Looking at the big picture on just this board, think of how much more time is spent discussing failure compared to winning.  Think of it compared to your personal life, if you spend most of your energy discussing or worrying about things that go wrong in your life, well you would turn into a pretty grumpy, defeatist, and reactionary person.  I guess I understand the reason to vent to some degree, but I don't see the real attraction to wasting too much time doing it.

That's why it doesn't make sense to be come too emotionally invested in a playoff team, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.  Angels fans should know this as well as anyone.

After you've had your heart ripped out by sports teams as many times as I have you learn that but I guess it's something you just have to learn.

Be glad you made it to the playoffs and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

They just don't look or sound like it.

If I were an Angel player, I would take a long vacation somewhere.  There is nothing you can say or do that will positively impact fan reaction at this time.  People are looking to blame rightly or wrongly, they will take statements out of context, and they will magnify any public statement you make to prove their point.  If you don't win the World Series, stay away from public sight.  Players are hired because they have physical skills, baseball players are not public relations experts. 

That's why it doesn't make sense to be come too emotionally invested in a playoff team, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.  Angels fans should know this as well as anyone.

After you've had your heart ripped out by sports teams as many times as I have you learn that but I guess it's something you just have to learn.

Be glad you made it to the playoffs and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Everybody handles failure and disappointment differently, to let it consume you just isn't healthy.

OK, this has been bothering me for a bit now. Whenever the Angels lose there's the predictable refrain of, "They look they aren't trying out there, like they don't care." Not only the team as a whole but individual players (especially Hamilton).

I just don't get this. Of course they are trying, of course they care. I imagine that Josh Hamilton cares a lot more than people realize, and that his poor performance is eating him up. Not performing well does not automatically mean they aren't trying or don't care. To me this feels like an excuse, something to the effect of "They're not doing well so obviously not trying, because if they cared they'd win." That's just wrong on so many levels.

Trying and caring is not the same as having heart, moxie, mojo, chutzpah, that special spark - all of which comes about when your effort and talent merge in such a way that is almost magical. In other words, its when you're able to break through the struggle and find a way to win again. The Angels weren't able to do that, but it doesn't mean they didn't care or weren't trying. I mean, sure, maybe they could have cared more, or maybe this or that player could have run a tad harder to first. But I'm not sure it would have made a difference. In other words, they didn't lose because of a lack of effort or care.

I think the most we could say is that maybe the Angels were too complacent, they didn't take the Royals seriously enough, and thought they could roll right through them. But even that I doubt. Maybe the first game, but not the second and third.

I get it. People are looking for excuses and/or angry and want to blame someone. But let's be clear: the Angels tried and they certainly do care. They just didn't have that special something that makes a champion.

Good post! 

OK, this has been bothering me for a bit now. Whenever the Angels lose there's the predictable refrain of, "They look they aren't trying out there, like they don't care." Not only the team as a whole but individual players (especially Hamilton).

I just don't get this. Of course they are trying, of course they care. I imagine that Josh Hamilton cares a lot more than people realize, and that his poor performance is eating him up. Not performing well does not automatically mean they aren't trying or don't care. To me this feels like an excuse, something to the effect of "They're not doing well so obviously not trying, because if they cared they'd win." That's just wrong on so many levels.

Trying and caring is not the same as having heart, moxie, mojo, chutzpah, that special spark - all of which comes about when your effort and talent merge in such a way that is almost magical. In other words, its when you're able to break through the struggle and find a way to win again. The Angels weren't able to do that, but it doesn't mean they didn't care or weren't trying. I mean, sure, maybe they could have cared more, or maybe this or that player could have run a tad harder to first. But I'm not sure it would have made a difference. In other words, they didn't lose because of a lack of effort or care.

I think the most we could say is that maybe the Angels were too complacent, they didn't take the Royals seriously enough, and thought they could roll right through them. But even that I doubt. Maybe the first game, but not the second and third.

I get it. People are looking for excuses and/or angry and want to blame someone. But let's be clear: the Angels tried and they certainly do care. They just didn't have that special something that makes a champion.

well said. 

My opinion is the complete opposite of many here which won't come as a surprise. I think , if any thing, that they were over prepared as a team, put to much pressure on themselves, and came into the series tight. Having 3 days off before the series may have affected their performance. Nationals and Angels both loss to the wild card teams.

The Angels are loaded with veterans who know from experience how to manage their energy and competitive emotion over a grueling 162 game season.  They did it more effectively than anyone else this year.  So effectively, they clinched a playoff position with 10 or so games left in the season.  So now they can rest the vets, give the youngins a chance to play.  All good right?  Some use the word coast, but whatever the word is an argument can be made that they lose some of that competitive edge during the "coast".  Suddenly they are matched against a team fresh off an intense end of the season race to qualify AND an even more intense 1 game winner take all.  Angels, trying to recover the intensity, vs KC, riding the intensity. 

Difficult to quantify the intensity effect, not so difficult to quantify the effect of some very odd decisions by Scioscia.  He didn't play small ball, prudently with this lineup, all year.  Then suddenly he's hip deep in small ball.  The infamous 3-1 count sacrifice order to Calhoun which, even if it works, they walk Trout to get to the GIDP machine.  Sacrificing one of his best hitters twice to provide a RISP for one of his worst hitters.  The absurd excuse for not bunting Cowgill to third...to preserve his defensive catcher for another inning.   When did Iannetta turn into a good defensive catcher?  I understand Hamilton in game 1, sorta, gotta try it, but to continue the failed experiment for game 2 & 3?  Nibs starting the most impt game of the season seemed very risky going in.  Not blaming Scioscia for the sweep, but frankly he didn't help much.