• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you guys really think....

Torridd

Yes.  For years in the playoffs we have dealt with horrible decisions that have cost us games.  This year it was Hamilton, CJ, Calhoun failed bunt, not pinch hitting for Ianetta with Cowgill on 2nd, Cowgill getting thrown out at 2nd and then saying to the media it was the right decision.  There doesnt appear to be any discipline within the team or the clubhouse.  You can run yourself into outs and swing at junk every single time you step to the plate, but it wont matter to the manager.  In years past, it was the similar decisions.  Failed bunt attempts, suicide squeeze attempts, playing the wrong lineups, pulling starters early, horrible bullpen management, etc.  

This year I wasnt against Hamilton playing in Game 1, but I had no idea what kind of shape he was in.  He looks like hes never seen Major League pitching in his life, and after his first few at bats it was clear he didnt belong.  These are the kind of things the manager should know and pay attention to when making a lineup.  But of course, we saw Hamilton come up to bat with the game on the line later on, and then proceeded to flail away.  

I dont know what manager I would want, but im starting to think anything is better than what we have now.  Unlike most people I dont give too much credit for winning divisions.  The reason we won so many divisions before 09 was because of how horrible it was, and we always fielded a competitive balanced team.  This year we once again had a high payroll with a lot of talent, winning the division was expected.  But getting swept by the Royals is unacceptable, not for a team with this amount of talent.  If we had a different manager who doesnt make those same bonehead mistakes, we probably win that series or at the very least, are playing in a Game 5 tomorrow night.

I've been banging the Fire Sosh drum for years.

Great manager. Would be even better in NL.

I simply believe his magic, his essence, his inspiration has worn off with these guys.

Granted it's a new roster every year and guys are shuffled in and out.

But I feel both sides need a change of scenery and a fresh approach.

He's a great manager. But he's tired here.

Trade him to the Dodgers after Mattingly screws up this series. Get some worth out of him.

I have no idea whether or not a different manager gets us any further into the playoffs. I am not going to say as a matter of fact that we lost games because of Scioscia, because, well we don't know. I doubt many other managers would have managed us to a 98 win season with the adversity this team had this year. Also, since the team has missed the playoffs the last four years, I don't see any relevance between what happened back then as it relates to how this team performed in the playoffs. That being said, i would have no problem with a change of managers. To me it is a change of voice type of thing, and not really that I think we will find a better manager. You can sit here and question his in game management, but he runs a good clubhouse, and his one game at a time approach is what really helps with the adversity of a long season.

Yes is magic only got us 98 wins this year

I've been banging the Fire Sosh drum for years.

Great manager. Would be even better in NL.

I simply believe his magic, his essence, his inspiration has worn off with these guys.

Granted it's a new roster every year and guys are shuffled in and out.

But I feel both sides need a change of scenery and a fresh approach.

He's a great manager. But he's tired here.

Trade him to the Dodgers after Mattingly screws up this series. Get some worth out of him.

firing the manager of a team that just won 98... we would be the laughing stock of the game.

you fire the manager when his message stops getting thru, or as a scaepgoat for other bull with some teams... but in our case there is zero reason.  he hasnt lost the team. 

i though he had for a time last year... but there is no reason to suggest that now

Yes is magic only got us 98 wins this year

Had Bruce Bochy or Mike Matheny been given the roster we had to work and been given free reign to work without any direct intervention from Arte (which I suspect might be the case of some of the lineup and roster calls) with we would have triple digit wins and would still be playing today.

Edited by ScottLux

Had Bruce Bochy or Mike Matheny been given the roster we had to work and been given free reign to work without any direct intervention from Arte (which I suspect might be the case of some of the lineup and roster calls) with we would have triple digit wins and would still be playing today.

How can you possibly say that? This team lost two of their five starters, another starter started 0-7. They lost their lead off hitter for about six weeks, and their number four hitter underperformed all year. Yet with all that you think Matheny would have won more games. Simply put that's some crazy speculation.

It's interesting you guys want to credit the 98 win season success to Sosh but then slam Hamilton Trout CJ and everyone else that sucks and absolve Sosh of the playoff failure.

Here's a concept. You didn't need 98 wins to get to the post season. You only needed whatever Oakland had to get there. And then you had to win. They didn't, and were bounced.

It's kind of like needing just one ticket to get into the big dance but buying a roll of extra tickets. Once the playoffs started it's a new season.

Sosh is a big reason we got to 98 wins, as is Trout's overall hitting, Weaver and Shoe's pitching, Richards and Skaggs pitching before injuries and all of the hitting.

Take a good look at this season. We weren't the wunderkind team, pulling games out of our asses in heroic fashion. We had a couple of triumphs. We'd be streaky (obviously with more win streaks than losing streaks) where we crushed the ball and AO could have been pitching and it wouldn't have mattered.

The 2014 regular season was great, but the playoffs were a dismal failure and when you look at the catalog of Sosh's work you have to ponder all of the shortcomings since 2002. It's the body of his work that has to be looked at it, not just the what have you done for me lately.

And his latest work sucks.

Again. He's a great manager but the window with these old contracted players to win is dwindling. Why not make a change?

Trade him to the Dodgers for value. Grab a starter or a reliever, or anyone that doesn't bog down the books with a pricey contract.

Sosh is valuable enough to trade. Beats firing him. The Dodgers will overpay for him. There's no question.

Like Adam said, I don't know who the next voice is. But let's get a fresh approach. It doesnt look like these guys have fun.

2002 everyone was dying their hair and beards red and they were batshit crazy. We've lost that edge, that spark, that extra gear.

This team has no apparent clubhouse leader. Maybe it's Trout but will Albert have that? I'm not sure. Is it Weaver? Don't know. Hard to say when he might be the 4th best pitcher next season. Yes 4th (Shoe, Richards and hopefully Skaggs late next summer.)

If Sosh comes back next season I'll still support the team. I'm not calling for a fire sale. I'm looking for a catalyst to jump start this capable team.

We could have have had Richards and Skaggs this season, we didn't hit. Either the hitters failed or the situational calls from Mike failed. Probably a combination of both.

Edited by SOTO

I think Scoscia worked magic without starting pitching and a lineup that featured Erick Aybar or Howie Kendrick as the clean up hitter much of the end of the year.  I have wanted him out for years, but believe this might have been one of the best managing jobs in history to coax 98 wins out of this team.

So no, I would not fire him.

The Angels had amazing talent. Let's not forget about that. Saying Scioscia worked his magic appears to be discrediting what was the best offense in baseball, an amazing bullpen, and a rotation that could've been excellent had Richards not went down but still got their asses saved thanks to Shoemaker and Rasmus + the bullpen that followed him.

The Angels were really, really talented. Scioscia didn't turn a garbage team into juggernauts. He had incredible talent to work with.

Edited by Angels

The Angels had amazing talent. Let's not forget about that. Saying Scioscia worked his magic appears to be discrediting what was the best offense in baseball, an amazing bullpen, and a rotation that could've been excellent had Richards not went down but still got their asses saved thanks to Shoemaker and Rasmus + the bullpen that followed him.

The Angels were really, really talented. Scioscia didn't turn a garbage team into juggernauts. He had incredible talent to work with.

Ok, so Mike doesn't get credit for the regular season, it was the players that got it done. So I guess your opinion is that Mike doesn't get the blame because it was the players that didn't get it done.