• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 WSOP ME on ESPN

That dude was beyond annoying. I like to chat at the table, but how that dude was loud during hands was too much. One of my pet peeves is when someone not in a hand talks to me when I'm in one and he kept talking to players involved in decent sized pots. I would have tilted like the table big stack did as well.

There actually is a great storyline. I don't want to drop spoilers but I followed it live and already know the final table. It's actually cool going back and seeing how it played out to get there.

The crazy thing that I remember watching live and also seeing at the end of the telecast was the top 10. There were at least 5 top tier pros, maybe even more listed. More a tourney this size, to see that many big names at the top makes it really interesting.

ESPN built it up at the beginning of the episode, showing dufus chatting loudly while two others were playing a pot.

Good lord, that dufus was super annoying.  As he was getting mic'd up for the feature table, he probably figured this was his one chance to show he's the next Negraneau.  Boy, did he fail.

Most annoying ME poker player since that idiot who would go running and screaming up and down the aisles after winning pots (5 or 6 years ago).

Fun fact about that opening table talk segment, it was about a friend of the families. The mic fluctuated too much, but the loud mouth was talking about Dusty "Leatherass" Schmidt. Grew up in Anaheim and actually is one of the best amateur golfers California has ever had......he broke some of Tiger Woods records and is still friends with a bunch of pros like Kevin Na that played at the same country club. I heard the loud dude talking about golf and playing with him.

Dusty was one of the first prominent online players and made a name for himself because he was one of the first to do large prop bets on the 2+2 poker site and was one of the first players to mass multi table (play a ton of poker tables at the same time). When online poker was banned Dusty hit the links again to try and make it as a professional golfer. To my knowledge he is still floundering.

Funny how I came across him being a friend of the families. During family get together an uncle and I would talk poker and my grandfather would chime in as a card player. He would always ask about online poker and talk about one of his buddies that updates everyone on his son saying his kid was making 30k a month playing online poker and my grandfather thought he was full of shit. I said it was possible to make that much, but at the same time if you ever talked to anyone during the poker boom magically everyone was a winning player, so I never really inquired about this poker player because I too thought it was bullshit, but at the same time there were a ton of dudes making great coin playing online so I was kind of numb to people being successful. 

My gramps used to host a high stakes poker night once a month and we were all eating dinner before playing and one of the other players starts talking about the father and it turns into him saying the poker players name. Ironically at the this time I was reading this dudes poker book. Most of the dudes in this game know Dusty and his family but thought the day was full of shit, too. Me being really in tune with the poker world, the conversation became kind of a Q&A about Dusty and I basically verified how good he was.......when the dude was doing prop bets on the site he was posting his poker graphs from tracking sites and he killed it.

Just kind of funny to hear his name and ask my grandfather, "Wait, so you were talking about Dusty the whole time?" and he was like, "Yeah, but I thought he was full of shit so never really asked you about it."

Dusty is kind of an arrogant asshole, so I never really talked with him much outside of some golf chat. No denying his skills though. He was good enough to play high stakes, but just played a ton of tables at the beatable mid-stakes games and crushed it, wrote some books, became an ambassador for some sites, and I think still writes articles every now and then for Card Player.

He was kind of the epitome of the poker boom and how successful some of these kids were becoming and really how much money was being made.....I think he was easily making more than the 30k a month his dad would tell people.

That dude was beyond annoying. I like to chat at the table, but how that dude was loud during hands was too much. One of my pet peeves is when someone not in a hand talks to me when I'm in one and he kept talking to players involved in decent sized pots. I would have tilted like the table big stack did as well.

There actually is a great storyline. I don't want to drop spoilers but I followed it live and already know the final table. It's actually cool going back and seeing how it played out to get there.

The crazy thing that I remember watching live and also seeing at the end of the telecast was the top 10. There were at least 5 top tier pros, maybe even more listed. More a tourney this size, to see that many big names at the top makes it really interesting.

Just for the love of God tell me That annoying f didn't make it!

Just for the love of God tell me That annoying f didn't make it!

I honestly didn't even follow that dude and know he didn't make the FT.

ESPN just had him on for the tv value as they put on anyone with personality. If they put on a bunch of top pros it would be a snooze fest to the average poker watcher as most guys are like that Kieran guy and quiet. It would be great poker to watch, but if you're into stories and the people at the table (which is what ESPN found to be the case for ratings) they like to show the talkers and guys like Negreanu and Matusow.

This was played in July. If memory serves me correct he did play in it., he actually won two seats, I believe.

Don't think he finished where he would have liked, but having played cards for so long know the dry spurt I believe he hit. I fully believe poker is a game of skill over the long run, but in one single tournament with this many players you really need to have luck on your side. Don't think he had cards or spots where he could pick up big amounts of chips.

I personally don't think Ivey has what it takes to win the big one. Although I love him to death he just plays to cocky in the big tournament year after year. Which is weird because he's such a nice guy. But watching him last week he played so many bad hands and stays in way too long. Tries to over power his opponent because he is Phil Ivey. Truly hope he proves me wrong one day

good for him for getting in. hope it goes better for him next time around.

how many players get in to the wsop in vegas? and how long does the tournament take?

He's doing well. Online poker is legal in Nevada and I believe sits in 2nd for player of the year on the WSOP site.

How many players that enter is a variable. It's open to anyone that puts up the 10 grand or it's possible to win a satellite. ...smaller or lower stakes tourney that wins you a seat. There are generally 6000+ players.

Number of days depends on entrants. I think on average over the years it's 7-8 days.

Edited by Brandon

I personally don't think Ivey has what it takes to win the big one. Although I love him to death he just plays to cocky in the big tournament year after year. Which is weird because he's such a nice guy. But watching him last week he played so many bad hands and stays in way too long. Tries to over power his opponent because he is Phil Ivey. Truly hope he proves me wrong one day

He's good enough to win, but there is variance in poker so over one tourney the best player doesn't always win. He final tabled the year Joe Cada won (I think 2009) and got crippled loosing with AQ to Darvin Moon's AJ all-in preflop. Different game if Moon doesn't hit one of his three outs.