• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When was an Angel as universally disliked as Hamilton?

Oz27

The fury at him and desire to get him off the team seems pretty close to unanimous and it's hard to remember a time where there's been that feeling to such an extent. I'm not sure Wells ever got there - plenty of people always talked about what a good guy he supposedly was and so on. In the past decade or so, has any Angel been so disliked? Hell, has it ever happened?

Well, I like him and I still think he can help the team. I just wish there was something definitive to say this is what his problem is.

Hamilton, meh. It's more the fault of the manager for playing him. I hope he returns with some fire in his belly next season.... because he will be returning.  

If you guy are wanting to hate on someone. I give you Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Now there's a real piece of work. 

Playing Hamilton was a group decision by all accounts. They rolled the dice with him and crapped out.

Hamilton worked hard on getting healthy. He struggled with the pain and rehab. I can't hate on him for trying.

If you want to hate on someone .., then hate management for signing him. The writing was already on the wall with this guy.

Hopefully Josh will be 100% next season and be a big contributor.

Oh yea, the Mathis hate lol

Edited by Troll Daddy

The fury at him and desire to get him off the team seems pretty close to unanimous and it's hard to remember a time where there's been that feeling to such an extent. I'm not sure Wells ever got there - plenty of people always talked about what a good guy he supposedly was and so on. In the past decade or so, has any Angel been so disliked? Hell, has it ever happened?

Wells got there.  The problem is that Wells never sucked during a playoff series.  Wells was on the team when the Angels struggled together.  Thus his suck-age wasn't as bad.

I think the problem here is that Hamilton is already at this stage with the fans.  We have 3 more years of this garbage to look forward to most likely.  He has shown nothing to indicate otherwise.  The thing with Hamilton is that he looks like the worst player in the league sometimes.  Who knows whats really going on with him, its pretty remarkable how bad a turn he's taken in terms of performance.  I think in the last 10 years the only real comparisons are GMJ and of course Vernon Wells.  Probably more Vernon Wells since he was suppose to fill the same roll.  I know people complained about some of the other names mentioned here (Anderson, Guillen, etc,) but those guys really dont come close.  I actually really dont understand the Anderson haters.  He dogged plays but he was an awesome player and he definitely showed up when it counted in 2002.

Is it that offensive? I'm not talking trash to you guys or about the Angels. It's just interesting to see this story unfold. Imagine if Vernon Wells had talked trash about the people of Anaheim after he left, then continued an epic career nose-dive that caused his new team's fans to hate him. Don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy that. I see us as brothers-in-arms on this. ;)

Is it that offensive? I'm not talking trash to you guys or about the Angels. It's just interesting to see this story unfold. Imagine if Vernon Wells had talked trash about the people of Anaheim after he left, then continued an epic career nose-dive that caused his new team's fans to hate him. Don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy that. I see us as brothers-in-arms on this. ;)

In Wells' case the Jays and Angels fans were a bit annoyed that annoyed that as soon as Wells was traded to the Yankees he went on a rant about how all his life he'd always dreamed of playing for the Yankees, and how whenever the teams he played for got eliminated he'd always root for the Yankees in the playoffs etc. 

Not offensive to me. My team made the post-season.  If my team didn't, make the post-season, I probably wouldn't go to whatever Yankees fan board and lick my chops over Vernon Wells lack of performance.  I'd be too concerned about my own team's terrible, no good, awful, bad season.

Hey, that's cool. The Rangers had a historically awful season, but I'm not the type that gets all wound up about it. I was pulling for the worst record in baseball so we'd get better draft picks, but they even failed me on that. ...and you guys will probably never feel a baseball pain as bad as our Game 6. I've got the thousand-yard stare. If it makes you feel better, pull up the video of Freese's double over Cruz. I can't watch it, but it'll probably give you a good laugh. :D

I think Mo Vaughn was pretty much universally dis-liked by Halos fans.

GMJ although fans didn't necessarily dis-like GMJ but couldn't stand the contract he was signed to (from day one -- just like Hamilton).

Lackey sort of left a bad taste for Halos fans but not while he was playing here but for his attitude/ comments about the Angels after he left -- same thing with Jimmy Edmonds.

then there are those Halos who were considered Halos regardless of what uniform they were wearing and were fan favorites: Jim Fregosi, JT Snow, Chuck Finley, David Eckstein; I'd add Torii Hunter -- and he was a fan favorite here and IMO is still rooted for by Halos fans - -but push come to shove his primary affiliation is with the Minnesota Twins.

another guy who is on the list -- and may hold the record for the most dis-liked Angels for the shortest time on / affiliated with team and fewest games played :

Jose Canesco -- who was a non-roster walk on for ST about what? ten years back now?

I think he was with the team about a week, maybe ten days, claimed he was hurt and couldn't play for a majority of the time he was in camp -- and then when he played I remember seeing him mis-play a ball in the OF -- after telling Sosh he 'was  hurt' and couldn't play for something like 4 days in a row (remember , this is a NON-ROSTER guy in Spring Training) -- Sosh and the Halos 'dis-invited him from camp' (he can't be really DFA'd because he's not really on the team in the first place).......Canseco didn't catch on with another team and has blamed Scioscia and the Angels ever since for 'bad mouthing him' and saying he was 'injured/ damaged goods' ---- this from a guy who said he couldn't play four days straight while he's trying to make the roster as  a non-roster invitee..........

another head case was Raul Mondesi who was actually on the Angels regular season 25 man roster for about ten days...........unlike Canseco, though, rather than making an  E in the OF, I remember Mondesi throwing a guy out at the plate for the Halos -- it was about the only good thing he did.......he think he may have gotten one hit and if he got 13 ABs for us (seemed like he was Halo for a week/ ten days at most) he struck out about 12 of those...........he then made some sort of MLB worker's comp type claim and I remember reading an article about MLB teams (Pittsburgh and Angels) convinced that Mondesi was gaming the worker' comp'/ disability angle.

too bad, too - because Mondesi was truly a five tool player when he first came up with the Dodgers -- he wound up being just a tool.

I think the problem here is that Hamilton is already at this stage with the fans.  We have 3 more years of this garbage to look forward to most likely.

^^^This^^^.....I guess he could come into spring training (again) in great shape and get off to a good start (again)....maybe that would quiet the howling....but, more than likely, he will be what he is---unproductive and usually hurt....that doesn't portend well for the 3 remaining years....

This notion that Josh takes his abilities for granted is just dumb. I get that he is public enemy number one and I don't really like defending him, but I also think people grasp for straws when a player isn't performing. You know another player that got called out for not hustling and going through the motions, Robinson Cano. Imagine if Eckstein had Cano's ability.