• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball second most popular American sport

I was going to post this in the Sports Forum but I rarely go there, plus this is relevant to baseball. Check it out here. The results are:

1. NFL 35%

2. MLB 14%

3. College Football 11%

4. Auto Racing 7%

5. NBA 6%

6. NHL 5%

7. College Basketball 3%

Where's soccer and tennis, you say?! Anyhow, those seven only add up to 81%. I know Golf got 2%, not sure about soccer, tennis, etc.

As the article said, in 1985, the first year this poll was taken, NFL led MLB 24% to 23%, so MLB's popularity has dropped in 30 years. It sounds like MLB's popularity went down with the 1994 strike and hasn't recovered (although it was at 13% last year).

I've written it once, I've written it a thousand times...the NFL's popularity is not a victory of the game of football. Its current success is a triumph of marketing.  The NFL, with its broadcasting allies, understand that the present day American wants a good excuse to cook, eat, drink and sit in front of the TV where we can compare over-sized jerseys and tattoos.  Plus, in the MMA era of trash talking and lifted trucks, the NFL is a likely ally. 

Baseball, with its hushed tone and - in the post-season - five or seven game series, is not built for instant gratification or tough talk.  The NFL marketing department has mastered the art of feeding our present day event-ized mentality where TV viewers are looking for an excuse to sit on their asses and eat and get hammered.  Every game is marketed with an angle, even if the teams involved are chum.

I'm surprised that the NBA is ranked so low.  I would bet those umpteen time outs in the final few minutes are part of its lack of popularity.  

I was going to post this in the Sports Forum but I rarely go there, plus this is relevant to baseball. Check it out here. The results are:

1. NFL 35%

2. MLB 14%

3. College Football 11%

4. Auto Racing 7%

5. NBA 6%

6. NHL 5%

7. College Basketball 3%

Where's soccer and tennis, you say?! Anyhow, those seven only add up to 81%. I know Golf got 2%, not sure about soccer, tennis, etc.

As the article said, in 1985, the first year this poll was taken, NFL led MLB 24% to 23%, so MLB's popularity has dropped in 30 years. It sounds like MLB's popularity went down with the 1994 strike and hasn't recovered (although it was at 13% last year).

Baseball will always be my favorite but I can see the need for improvement. The season is way to long starting with spring training in March and the playoffs run almost to November. Also the games need to speed up a bit. There's to much down time.

Ironically the game was more popular during the peak of the steroid era. That's the reality.

Baseball will always be my favorite but I can see the need for improvement. The season is way to long starting with spring training in March and the playoffs run almost to November. Also the games need to speed up a bit. There's to much down time.

Ironically the game was more popular during the peak of the steroid era. That's the reality.

Baseball will always be my favorite too. Your points on how baseball can improve are right on. Next year, the regular season doesn't end until October 4. This likely pushes the World Series into November. Baseball should end no later than October 31. 

DowningRules, I think you are right but where I most especially agree with you is with regards to how baseball doesn't offer the instant gratification or constant action of other sports. I think in that is a key to why baseball's popularity has declined, especially in the quick-fix era of texting, social media, etc. Attention spans have waned.

Unfortunately, CALZONE, a lot of what makes baseball dull for many is what makes it such a great sport - the stillness of it, the alternating rhythm, and how this plays out over a full season. In a way baseball is more reflective of life than any other sport, or at least more subtle in its dynamics.

For me I'd vote:

1. Baseball

2. Tennis

3. NFL

I'm not really interested in any other sport, other than passingly.

Wasn't there talk at one point of reducing the season to 154 games again? That's only 8 games, but it would make a difference - or at least make up for the relatively recent added layer of the postseason that the wildcard and divisional series brought. 154 games has a historical precedent and wouldn't skew statistics too much.

I doubt it will happen, though. There's just too much money tied up in each game. That's a lot of revenue lost.

I'm surprised that the NBA is ranked so low. 

Basketball used to be my favorite sport and the Lakers were my favorite team in all sports.  The late 90's and beyond changed all that. The game changed, the culture changed, the players changed.  From my view - it became a game of selfish athletes and one where bigger headlines were made off the court than on it.  I don't relate to any of it any more and don't follow it at all.  I'm one of the fans the game lost.

Basketball used to be my favorite sport and the Lakers were my favorite team in all sports. The late 90's and beyond changed all that. The game changed, the culture changed, the players changed. From my view - it became a game of selfish athletes and one where bigger headlines were made off the court than on it. I don't relate to any of it any more and don't follow it at all. I'm one of the fans the game lost.

Name 5 players on the New Orleans Pelicans roster. Yes I said Pelicans. :)

Basketball used to be my favorite sport and the Lakers were my favorite team in all sports.  The late 90's and beyond changed all that. The game changed, the culture changed, the players changed.  From my view - it became a game of selfish athletes and one where bigger headlines were made off the court than on it.  I don't relate to any of it any more and don't follow it at all.  I'm one of the fans the game lost.

The NFL is in the same territory.  People are becoming more aware of and disgusted by the NFL players' behavior.  Before, most fans would separate the behavior from the game.  Now, it's harder to support the NFL/teams and players at the same time.  

The NFL has a real problem on its hands.  The full effect won't be seen for a few years.  

Fantasy football is very popular but the same poll referenced above has been conducted for 30 years and over that time the interest in the NFL has continued to rise (majority of FF players weren't playing 7+ years ago) while it's decreased in baseball more than it has any other sport.  The NFL is a marketing juggernaut and it is more enjoyable to the casual fan which isn't the least bit surprising.  If you're a hardcore baseball fan like a lot of the people here you'll watch most or all of your teams games and even meet up with friends to watch a game.  To the vast majority though unless it's a pennant race or the playoffs they aren't going to go out and get a bite for the purpose of watching a baseball game.  I used to be a big fan of the NBA growing up in the 90's and watching that style of physical play which wasn't even as physical as the late 80's and today it's a wussified game of street ball with refs.

I've written it once, I've written it a thousand times...the NFL's popularity is not a victory of the game of football. Its current success is a triumph of marketing. The NFL, with its broadcasting allies, understand that the present day American wants a good excuse to cook, eat, drink and sit in front of the TV where we can compare over-sized jerseys and tattoos. Plus, in the MMA era of trash talking and lifted trucks, the NFL is a likely ally.

Baseball, with its hushed tone and - in the post-season - five or seven game series, is not built for instant gratification or tough talk. The NFL marketing department has mastered the art of feeding our present day event-ized mentality where TV viewers are looking for an excuse to sit on their asses and eat and get hammered. Every game is marketed with an angle, even if the teams involved are chum.

I'm surprised that the NBA is ranked so low. I would bet those umpteen time outs in the final few minutes are part of its lack of popularity.

I agree with your statements about the popularity of football - very well said

Unfortunately, CALZONE, a lot of what makes baseball dull for many is what makes it such a great sport - the stillness of it, the alternating rhythm, and how this plays out over a full season. In a way baseball is more reflective of life than any other sport, or at least more subtle in its dynamics.

This. Baseball is without a doubt the most nuanced of all the sports. Unfortunately, the majority of Americans think the Transformers series are quality filmmaking. That right there gives you an idea of how sophisticated and nuanced their tastes are.

The NFL playoffs can feature any of the 32 teams, and it will kill in the ratings.

Exactly.  Because NFL viewers in general don't give a toss about the match-up.  It's enough to have any match-up.  The NFL and the networks/cable broadcasters have made every game, big or small, an event.  Modern America doesn't need much of a push to turn on an NFL game, cook up a feces load of chili, buy a case of beer, and invite one or more persons over for the "big game."  

There's a reason the NFL is pushing hard to make the Thursday night game as big as the Sunday night game, which the NFL wanted to make as big as the Monday night game...It's the #1 reason they're gradually pulling the game off the NFL network while trying to save face.  It wasn't getting the ratings there.  As always with the NFL, the game is secondary.

It was inconceivable to the NFL that subscribers were not demanding their carrier pick-up the NFL network.  This harmed the NFL in two ways:  they couldn't make the millions in annual carriage fees they thought they would, and with the limited viewership, the NFL couldn't market its "can't miss match-ups" as effectively.  This hasn't been covered like the Doyyers/Time Warner spat, but it's a similar situation.  Understandably, the NFL doesn't want to talk up a carriage fee spat because it is presumably worried that viewers are quite happy with the amount of football they get now and doesn't want to appear like it's not the only sport everybody wants all the time.

Notice that the talk with the NFL is often about how big the ratings are.  The game is not the thing in the NFL.  It's the peripherals.