• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I hope Trout spends this off season fixing his swing so he can hit a high strike

rageous

He only missed 3 of 103 down and away? That's astounding. People have a higher miss rate in the home run derby.

That's down and in. Graph is from catchers POV (not Pitchers POV as on TV) and Trout is right handed.

am I reading this correctly?  Is he whiffing on 11% of the pitches right down the middle?

I can't say this enough. You people that post this blue and red chart of Trout's whiffs are ****ing losers. This is the future MVP we are talking about. the only reason baseball cares about the halos is Trout. This guy is amazing. Should I post the chart of him LEADING ALMOST EVERY ****ING BATTING CATEGORY ?!! 

2014 â˜…

22 LAA AL 157 705 602 115 173 39 9 36 111 16 2 83 184 .287 .377 .561 .939 167 338 6 10 0 10 6 *8/D AS

oh hmmm look how interesting he leads in almost everything. runs scored, RBI, total bases, 3rd in HRs, 6th in doubles, 3rd in triples, 2nd in off win percentage, 3rd in slugg %

oh crap he sucks. lets trade him pfft ***damn idiots 

That's down and in. Graph is from catchers POV (not Pitchers POV as on TV) and Trout is right handed.

Yeah I eventually figured that part out after posting. But still amazing that his contact rate can be so high in any zone.

You all say Trout needs to adjust, but do any of you even have the slightest idea what "adjustments" he needs to make in order to find success on high pitches or is this one of those things you all log under the title "logistics" or "schematics"?

Did any of you play? Do you think it's his front foot, or perhaps his hands? Has anyone considered such an adjustment isn't possible with his particular stance and approach?

What if by adjusting to the high pitches he leaves himself vulnerable somewhere else?

It's so easy for everyone to say he makes adjustments but most here wouldn't even begin to comprehend what he actually needs to do.

But yeah, make those adjustments Trout...you bum.

I can't say this enough. You people that post this blue and red chart of Trout's whiffs are ****ing losers. This is the future MVP we are talking about. the only reason baseball cares about the halos is Trout. This guy is amazing. Should I post the chart of him LEADING ALMOST EVERY ****ING BATTING CATEGORY ?!! 

I never said Trout sucked!  In fact I rarely criticize him.  I do wish he would stop trying to be a slugger and be the hitter he used to be.  

That comment has nothing to do with ability.  It is about his approach.  And my comments about him missing so many pitches down the middle is just one out of bewilderment.  I am really surprised he misses so many down the middle.  Why aren't you?  Do you expect a great hitter to miss the easiest location to hit more often than difficult locations?

Yes, okay agreed. But cheese n rice. wtf !!! okay so he didn't win the triple crown. I think you people are crazy this kid is amazing. this is insane. Trout is the best player I've seen since before they started injecting grade A horse steroid in their ass. Chill out people. I love the halos. go to all the games. For ****'s sake so he didn't bat .340 this year. Trout is amazing. Once in a lifetime 

A+ post.

I never said Trout sucked!  In fact I rarely criticize him.  I do wish he would stop trying to be a slugger and be the hitter he used to be.  

That comment has nothing to do with ability.  It is about his approach.  And my comments about him missing so many pitches down the middle is just one out of bewilderment.  I am really surprised he misses so many down the middle.  Why aren't you?  Do you expect a great hitter to miss the easiest location to hit more often than difficult locations?

"stop being a slugger and be a hitter" is such a strawman argument.

What proof do you have that he changed his approach? Because he struck out more often?

Newsflash... so did the entire league..

Edited by Poozy

You all say Trout needs to adjust, but do any of you even have the slightest idea what "adjustments" he needs to make in order to find success on high pitches or is this one of those things you all log under the title "logistics" or "schematics"?

Did any of you play? Do you think it's his front foot, or perhaps his hands? Has anyone considered such an adjustment isn't possible with his particular stance and approach?

What if by adjusting to the high pitches he leaves himself vulnerable somewhere else?

It's so easy for everyone to say he makes adjustments but most here wouldn't even begin to comprehend what he actually needs to do.

But yeah, make those adjustments Trout...you bum.

A lot of the adjustments he needs to make are mental.  He clearly got away from trying to stay up the middle with his approach.  He clearly needs to understand that pitchers aren't throwing him many hittable breaking balls anymore, especially with two strikes.  They saw what he did to Chris Sale and Tony Sipp, they won't let him do it again.  They know he crushes breaking stuff.  He needs to look fastball a lot more often, again, especially with two strikes.  As many others have pointed out, he's got to keep the pitchers honest by crushing a first pitch strike once in a while.  

But there are mechanical adjustments he can make too.  Last year about the time he got hot after his slow start, he started bending at the knees more and closed up his stance on the advice of Pujols if I recall.  That's the stance that is money for him.  It keeps him up the middle, and also allows his hands to not start so high, which keeps his bat on more of a level plane, though not completely level, which you don't want.  Go watch a video of his 470 foot homer off Santana last year to see what I'm talking about.  This year he was back to being more upright and a little open, which caused him to pull off way too many pitches.  If he goes back to that approach, he'll go back to being the .320/ .420 hitter he can be.  

A lot of the adjustments he needs to make are mental. He clearly got away from trying to stay up the middle with his approach. He clearly needs to understand that pitchers aren't throwing him many hittable breaking balls anymore, especially with two strikes. They saw what he did to Chris Sale and Tony Sipp, they won't let him do it again. They know he crushes breaking stuff. He needs to look fastball a lot more often, again, especially with two strikes. As many others have pointed out, he's got to keep the pitchers honest by crushing a first pitch strike once in a while.

But there are mechanical adjustments he can make too. Last year about the time he got hot after his slow start, he started bending at the knees more and closed up his stance on the advice of Pujols if I recall. That's the stance that is money for him. It keeps him up the middle, and also allows his hands to not start so high, which keeps his bat on more of a level plane, though not completely level, which you don't want. Go watch a video of his 470 foot homer off Santana last year to see what I'm talking about. This year he was back to being more upright and a little open, which caused him to pull off way too many pitches. If he goes back to that approach, he'll go back to being the .320/ .420 hitter he can be.

Thank you! That's the sort of commentary I'm looking for. I along with almost everyone would agree with you on the first pitch thing. That's pretty clear, as is the mentality of driving the ball to all fields and not becoming such a pull hitter. What isn't are the exact adjustments.

I feel that by closing off ones stance, it would typically make the vulnerable to anything in under the hands, but Trout has a shorter swing, and is quick and strong enough to offset this adjustment.

As for the hands, I agree with most hitting coaches in that I don't care where they start. They all end up in the same spot before swinging. Although one would think that if he lowered them just an inch or two down to shoulder level he'd gain that extra split second on catching up with higher pitches, though I don't know how this effects the rest if his coverage.

I also feel that anything we have to say about his swing likely pails in comparison to the depth of understanding Don Baylor has. It really can't be that easy.

Trout got exposed up in the zone more because he put himself in more counts for that to occur. Like I said in another thread, if he attacks some of the 1st pitch fastballs that he always gets, he'll be in a better situation. More hits on those 1st pitches, pitchers adjust after that by throwing balls rather than strikes and suddenly, Trout is finding himself in good counts more often. 

Trout's swing is more suited to go down and get a pitch rather than climb the ladder for one. Contrary to popular belief, the high pitch is more effective now than the low pitch. Many people struggle with the elevated fastball. It may be something that Trout has trouble with in his career. Nobody is perfect at the plate. 

I think the biggest thing Trout needs to do is attack early more often. He's probably had the "I'll watch the 1st pitch" approach his whole career and has got away with it based on natural ability. At this level, getting behind isn't a smart idea. 

He just needs to lower his strike out numbers. IMHO, I feel that by lowering him to the 2 hole he feels that he needs to increase his power numbers. I would rather have the Trout lead off and bat around .320. Or lower him to a true power spot in the lineup at #3. Then they would have to acquire a #2 hitter. It's a delicate balance and when it is all figured out, Trout is going to be really fun to watch. Not that it isn't fun already.

He just needs to lower his strike out numbers. IMHO, I feel that by lowering him to the 2 hole he feels that he needs to increase his power numbers. I would rather have the Trout lead off and bat around .320. Or lower him to a true power spot in the lineup at #3. Then they would have to acquire a #2 hitter. It's a delicate balance and when it is all figured out, Trout is going to be really fun to watch. Not that it isn't fun already.

I actually think Calhoun is good candidate for a #2 hitter moreso than leadoff. He'd get a fair bit more RBIs there as well as he has some pop. What we would benefit from is a prototypical leadoff guy. Resurrecting Chone Figgins in his prime would be perfect, then move down Calhoun and Trout.

Im in the camp that trout adjusted to try and up his power to increase his value. Its all just a theory, of course. But it definetely seems like that was his approach this year. Whether it was due to missing mvp 2 years in a row or trying to justify his contract, it at least appears that was the case.

I would prefer the old trout to the new one. He was more dynamic as the power speed guy.

I prefer the new Trout. I was happy to see his power numbers increase and RBI's. The speed will always be there ... and can be utilized when needed. Eventually Trout will be batting third but he has been flourishing in the #2 spot. I also wouldn't mind him batting lead off again and batting Calhoun second.

I'm not to keen on Trout messing with his swing.

I prefer the new Trout. I was happy to see his power numbers increase and RBI's. The speed will always be there ... and can be utilized when needed. Eventually Trout will be batting third but he has been flourishing in the #2 spot. I also wouldn't mind him batting lead off again and batting Calhoun second.

I'm not to keen on Trout messing with his swing.

But the experts have already deemed it "broken"...

Fat ass

Another category trout led mlb in

I'd rather see Trout enjoy tons of burgers this offseason than have him come back looking like the skinny-ass Josh Hamilton we saw immediately after his ill-advised "juicing" diet. 

Edited by ScottLux