• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

5-9

Angelsjunky

If the Angels lose today, that's their record over the last 14 games of the season. I realize they clinched ages ago, but should we be worried about this whimpering end? The hitting seems weak - Trout looks like Rob Deer these days, while Howie and Erick have cooled off, and Kole has been terrible for weeks now. We all know the problems with the rotation and the bullpen has been showing cracks of late.

Am I worrying needlessly or are we in trouble?

Edited by Angelsjunky

But if they fail to advance, and do so for reasons stated above, isn't there a connection? I mean, did they let up on the gas too early? Or is this just coasting until they press down again? I hope the latter.

Doubt it. Angels played the last 10 games just enough to stay competitive for the other teams still fighting for playoffs spots. But pitching and batting decisions were made to minimize the risk of injury. A LOT of minor leaguers saw action. The Angels starters are now rested and ready for the post season.

If the Angels lose today, that's their record over the last 14 games of the season. I realize they clinched ages ago, but should we be worried about this whimpering end? The hitting seems weak - Trout looks like Rob Deer these days, while Howie and Erick have cooled off, and Kole has been terrible for weeks now. We all know the problems with the rotation and the bullpen has been showing cracks of late.

Am I worrying needlessly or are we in trouble?

Calhoun, since 9/1, is hitting .263/.320/.463.

Not great, but absolutely not terrible. And not for "weeks".

Good grief.

2002 team finished 4-7

2004:  7-2

2005:  14-2

MLB Now referenced a study recently that showed end of the season momentum is nonsense.  The Angels haven't really been trying to win for a while now. They have been playing it safe, getting the bullpen rest, etc.  

It's not ideal, but momentum probably means nothing. The 2008 team went into the playoffs hot as sh*t and look what happened there. Same with 2004. The 2002 struggled a bit to end the season.

There were some positives over the last week over the season (Wilson, LeBlanc) and some negatives (most of the hitters, Thatcher). It's not worth getting too worked up over, but it's not the way you'd want it to end either.

Any time i'm feeling blue about our offense cooling down I remind myself that our starters are really only seeing about 2-3 at bats per game before being pulled. Throughout the season this has been a "come from behind" team and often the starters go 0'for for the first few innings (remember Chris Sale?). They haven't been getting the chance to heat up in later innings because they are on the bench.

I'm choosing to see the positives. Shoe threw a bullpen session today. CJ's last 2 out of 3 starts were very solid, and Trout/Howie/Aybar/Pujols/Calhoun/Street/Smith/Weaver etc didn't get hurt playing meaningless innings. I can't stress that last one enough. 

obviously it would have been great to see Trout triple and Pujols homer today off of King Felix but you can't always get what you want. 

I really feel like, when looking at the last 10 games this season, that it was more of a test tube for players that were on the bubble for post season play. You saw a lot of Boesch, Cron, Navarro, Beckham and other bench guys getting their time in to show something for the post season. You also saw a lot of relievers that were bubble as well like Thatcher (I hope is not going to make it), Pestano, LeBlanc and Herrera (whom I like) getting in their innings and getting tested.

So the record isn't as important as the data they are going to crunch to build their best roster. A few days off for the veterans wouldn't be bad so they can heal some of the scraps and mentally get ready for whoever their first victim is in the playoffs.

I say that because I think there is only one Wildcard team worthy of a playoff spot this season, all of them in the hunt were sub 90 win teams.  The A's finished September 9-16 after an equally poor August of 12-17. Someone should euthanize that team and the Royals probably will put them down. The Royals at least had wining months of August 19-10 and September 14-11. They've played the A's 5-2, Angels even 3-3 and Baltimore well 4-3. This is the team that could play the Cinderella role.

4 days from now the first pitch gets thrown for the Angels post season. Let's hope the season prepared them.

Edited by Eric Notti

The league is void of even a very good team this year. Forget there being any great teams. Any of the division winners can win it IMO.

I feel like the playoffs will go as Calhoun goes. He performs well and gets on base I think the Angels will get through the AL.

I'd rank the teams as follows:

Baltimore

Dodgers

Angels

Nationals

Cardinals

Tigers

Giants

Royals

Pirates

A'th