• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Macbook Pro/TV Help

Brandon

I've tried so many help resources and videos with not much help, so I figured maybe I could try here. I'll just copy and paste what I put on the Apple forums:

Hello,

I am having an issue with an Insignia Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter. The picture is working just fine, however, I am not getting any audio as it continually comes through the Macbook Pro. I have scoured the web and watched endless help videos and read many help sites and forums.

The problem is I am not getting my TV on the audio output drop down list to select for audio. I only have Internal Speakers and a bluetooth speaker I set up a while back.

Things of note:

- The HDMI adapter does support sound.

- After seeing it mentioned a few times, I checked my TV audio settings. I am not sure what to change, if anything, as we had a regular PC hooked up to the TV last night and it worked perfectly and was the epitome of a plug and play.....no settings adjustments needed. The only audio settings listed are Digital Audio Out (PCM or Bitstream) and Analog Audio Out (Fixed or Variable)

- I have a soundbar set up as a surround sound system.

- My TV is  brand new, if that matters.

- To my knowledge, my Macbook is up to date and a newer model that shouldn't be affected like the older models were with regards to this issue.

I'm at a real loss as the solutions I have come across don't seem to apply.

MacBook Pro

Brandon, have you checked your TV settings?  Sometimes there is a setting on the TV to disable audio through a specific HDMI port.

Only other thing I can think of is try a different cable.  I know I have a mac specific "lightning" to HDMI cable that doesn't work on my PC.  Wondering if the display port to HDMI cable you have isn't fully compatible.

If you want to PM me your address I can send it to you, I don't have any more Macs.

Edit: just saw that you did check the TV settings.  Not sure what else it could be other than the cable.

Edited by nate

I keep thinking there may be some other TV setting because I'm going to guess that the Mac doesn't read the TV. I tinkered with the audio settings, but ended up leaving them the same because on the regular PC laptop it hooked up to the HDMI and no issue or messing around with settings like you need to with Mac.

I hate this company so much. (It's a work laptop or I would have tossed it over the balcony)

I'll shoot you a PM in a bit. Thanks dude. My post on Apple has been viewed a bunch and others have tagged it as same problem, but no responding posts.

Yeah, that's the issue. I only get Internal Speakers and a separate bluetooth speaker that pop up on that Output drop down. It doesn't detect or show HDMI or in some cases from help videos, the name of the TV.

It's suppose to auto detect as soon as it's hooked up and be on the drop down list.

I don't see an option to switch from Internal Speakers to HDMI under Sound Effects, Output, or Input.

And you are setting your tv to use the hdmi connection at the same time?

I'm trying to recall if there was another setting I had to change the first time I setup the Mac. Maybe I had to go to Display and have it detect the HDMI as the display first. You also might have to select "mirror displays" has to be selected under Displays in System Prefs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2639905?start=30&tstart=0

Might have some other ideas.

I've tried so many help resources and videos with not much help, so I figured maybe I could try here. I'll just copy and paste what I put on the Apple forums:

Hello,

I am having an issue with an Insignia Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter. The picture is working just fine, however, I am not getting any audio as it continually comes through the Macbook Pro. I have scoured the web and watched endless help videos and read many help sites and forums.

The problem is I am not getting my TV on the audio output drop down list to select for audio. I only have Internal Speakers and a bluetooth speaker I set up a while back.

Things of note:

- The HDMI adapter does support sound.

- After seeing it mentioned a few times, I checked my TV audio settings. I am not sure what to change, if anything, as we had a regular PC hooked up to the TV last night and it worked perfectly and was the epitome of a plug and play.....no settings adjustments needed. The only audio settings listed are Digital Audio Out (PCM or Bitstream) and Analog Audio Out (Fixed or Variable)

- I have a soundbar set up as a surround sound system.

- My TV is  brand new, if that matters.

- To my knowledge, my Macbook is up to date and a newer model that shouldn't be affected like the older models were with regards to this issue.

I'm at a real loss as the solutions I have come across don't seem to apply.

MacBook Pro

Looks like you solved the problem.

Looks like you solved the problem.

The PC is my buddies, it's not a constant at the house.

However, because it worked with no issue, one would think the Mac would work as well.....just needing the settings adjustments Red mentions.

Plus, streaming shows from sites I prefer the Mac network opposed to the virus and ad/spyware infected PC network.

Edited by Brandon

And you are setting your tv to use the hdmi connection at the same time?

I'm trying to recall if there was another setting I had to change the first time I setup the Mac. Maybe I had to go to Display and have it detect the HDMI as the display first. You also might have to select "mirror displays" has to be selected under Displays in System Prefs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2639905?start=30&tstart=0

Might have some other ideas.

My TV auto detects or rather just simply works as is plugged in.....whether PS3, cable, soundbar. There is no setting adjustment for HDMI or non-HDMI.

There is nothing to select display wise for HDMI. It just auto-reads and transposes. The only thing that need to be done is selecting the mirror option you mention then properly setting the resolution after. The picture is spot on and really good, just no sound.

The PC is my buddies, it's not a constant at the house.

However, because it worked with no issue, one would think the Mac would work as well.....just needing the settings adjustments Red mentions.

Plus, streaming shows from sites I prefer the Mac network opposed to the virus and ad/spyware infected PC network.

At least with a Mac your safe from someone stealing your photos and posting them on 4Chan.

This damn thing.

Through all the troubleshooting I wanted to make sure everything was up to date, so I upgraded to Maverick on this piece. Now I can't get anything and the options menu in the system preferences are different and don't have the same tabs or boxes to select things individually.

I found what I was looking for with the TV. There is a CEC option and in there it controls the HDMI ports. Nothing too advanced, it just names them and can manually detect. I use the PS3 HDMI cable and plug in. When the PS3 is hooked in it automatically recognizes it and is listed. When I unplug it and plug it into the Mac port it doesn't.

Sigh...

Yeah, the select Macs in this instance are pre-2010 where it simply isn't possible outside of using a port and a audio jack from the laptop to the TV.

Another Apple blunder. The reviews and questions of this process are nutty for something with stock prices through the roof.

What Macbook model is it?

Some of the older ones only send out video from the Mini DisplayPort.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4241

If your MacBook is one of these, just get an appletv and use AirPlay to send stuff to your tv (no cables needed). Appletv is already worth it anyways, but now you'll have a super legit reason.

Edited by mrwicked

Found out the problem.

I updated this laptop to Maverick and learned how to do simple Mac things like look up specs. Having looked it up again after the update, it states it's a Macbook Pro, 17 inch, mid 2009. That means it is an older model that will be on the list in Wickeds link. I thought this would be a newer model since I thought they bought all the laptops around the start of the start up....2010ish+.

Oh well.

Speaking of AppleTV, we have a Roku player and I believe that is the same, no? We have AppleTV at the main office. I can use it there.

Bummer. Sorry dude.

That's weak that it doesn't do audio - seems like a glaring goof on their part.

Yeah Roku is similar.

But with AppleTV you get AirPlay - which means you can send anything on your MacBook to the TV wirelessly (audio + video). So, no need for the little adapter + hdmi cable at all.

Yeah the second you start wanting to hook up an hdmi cable to an apple device, just go grab an Apple TV to avoid cables.

They are so worth it.

I have one in every room of my place, and I've probably bought a dozen to give friends/family.

Just got one for my girlfriend's grandma in Newport Beach last week actually. Setup takes 2 mins.

That's my opinion at least. I think they're a great little device if you're in the apple ecosystem.