• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

From the LA Times - Angels' Albert Pujols says his contract won't be a drag

He just won a lot of respect from myself by saying that.  I don't think he'll get through 10 years, personally I am hoping for 5-7 years of good production.  And if he makes good on that, yeah...  

There's a reason he has as much respect around the league as he does, it's not just the fact he's been one of the game's best.  It's also his approach, and what a genuinely good man he is.

I wouldn't make him out to be a saint...he turned down 200 million (or close to it) from his "home" team to squeeze a few more dollars from somebody (us it turned out) on the open market...he's like (most) everybody else, not a bad guy but not a saint either...

I wouldn't make him out to be a saint...he turned down 200 million (or close to it) from his "home" to squeeze a few more dollars from somebody (us it turned out) on the open market...he's like (most) everybody else, not a bad guy but nott a saint either...

I woudln't be surprised if the fact that AL has the DH rule played a major part in the decision. Even now just in the second year of his contract he's already going to be DH'ing a lot of the time so that he can still hit despite playing through injury. In a NL club the point at which he becomes "not competitive at a major league level" might be a couple years earlier.

I wouldn't make him out to be a saint...he turned down 200 million (or close to it) from his "home" team to squeeze a few more dollars from somebody (us it turned out) on the open market...he's like (most) everybody else, not a bad guy but not a saint either...

Unless you are holding out on info that NOBODY else has confirmed, below were the offers Pujols received:

Angels: 10 yrs / $254m (guaranteed), No trade clause, 10 years personal services contract

Miami: 10 yrs/$220m. Marlins would not waive the no trade clause

STL: 10 yrs /$220m (NOT guaranteed), would not consider a personal services contract.

No offer was "close" to the Angels offer.

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, Albert is not saying that he'll walk away when he stops producing at a hall of fame level but only if he feel incapable of contributing and would embarrass himself.

Probably good for 1, maybe 2 years on the back end of his contract, but my guess is that he plays out the whole thing.  No one is going to walk away from 30 million dollars. 

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, Albert is not saying that he'll walk away when he stops producing at a hall of fame level but only if he feel incapable of contributing and would embarrass himself.

Probably good for 1, maybe 2 years on the back end of his contract, but my guess is that he plays out the whole thing.  No one is going to walk away from 30 million dollars. 

I wonder if anyone will remember AP's quote in 6-8 years.

I'm curious how the MLBPA feels about this. Regardless, I hope Albert is able to fulfill all 10 years of his contract.

I agree... I hope he is able to fulfill the contract.  As far as how the MLBPA feels about it if he should not be able to?  They can go screw themselves.  They could use a lesson in scruples and character.

Not sure anyone who doesn't know what its like to have all the money in the world and more can actually make that statement with certainty.