• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

top 5 Yankees of all time.

stormngt

Seriously… I think it's gotta be Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Ford, Rivera, Jeter.

When you hear the Olberman arguments, it really does paint an interesting picture of how steadily average (that's politely putting it) he was, with just some amazing longevity and a fortunate health situation.

Solid player, overrated though IMO.   Those other guys were shock and awe when it came to the game.    Did things people had never seen pretty much.   Dominant players.

Also, older Yankee fans loved Munson.   Had his career not been cut short, he could have been a Berra, Dickey HOF type player.

Mickey Mantle was a far greater player than Jeter - yes, a shorter career, but it is like comparing 15 years of Mike Trout to 20 years of Garret Anderson. Maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture.

This is where Fangraphs is quite useful.

Top Five Yankees Position Players by Career WAR (Yankees career only)

149.9 Babe Ruth

116.3 Lou Gehrig

112.3 Mickey Mantle

83.1 Joe DiMaggio

73.6 Derek Jeter

63.8 Yogi Berra

I threw in Yogi because...well, he's Yogi.

Now I don't like to compare player and pitcher WAR, but if you're looking at a top ten of all players, then you've got to include Pettitte, Rivera, and Ford. Either way, Jeter is easily in the top ten and arguably in the top five. But I think there are four players that clearly had greater careers as a Yankee.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I didn't realize Yogi was that great. I didn't count Whitey because i was only thinking position players. But if you count pitchers you have have him in the top 5.

still say top 7 or 10 in the most storied Franchise in history is something.

Mickey Mantle was a far greater player than Jeter - yes, a shorter career, but it is like comparing 15 years of Mike Trout to 20 years of Garret Anderson. Maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture.

This is where Fangraphs is quite useful.

Top Five Yankees Position Players by Career WAR (Yankees career only)

149.9 Babe Ruth

116.3 Lou Gehrig

112.3 Mickey Mantle

83.1 Joe DiMaggio

73.6 Derek Jeter

63.8 Yogi Berra

I threw in Yogi because...well, he's Yogi.

Now I don't like to compare player and pitcher WAR, but if you're looking at a top ten of all players, then you've got to include Pettitte, Rivera, and Ford. Either way, Jeter is easily in the top ten and arguably in the top five. But I think there are four players that clearly had greater careers as a Yankee.

Mo Rivera belongs in the list.

No one has been better.

I agree. I'd put the big 4 (Ruth, Gerhig, Mantle, DiMaggio) then Rivera. Jeter could be 6, that's not a bad place when you're only a couple steps from the likes of those top 4.

The real question is where does Jeter place on the all time list of all of baseball. Would he crack the top 10? 20?

Are you really suggesting Jeter top 10 of all time?

You already said that four Yankees are better. So your suggesting there isn't 6 other all time who are not Yankees?

Let me give it a try

Ty Cobb

Willie Mays

Hank Aaron

Barry Bonds

Albert Pujols

Reggie Jackson

Johnny Bench

Ken Griffey Jr

Stan Musiel

Tony Gwen

Roger Hornsby

frank Robison

Cal rip kin

and that just off the top of my head.

I agree. I'd put the big 4 (Ruth, Gerhig, Mantle, DiMaggio) then Rivera. Jeter could be 6, that's not a bad place when you're only a couple steps from the likes of those top 4.

The real question is where does Jeter place on the all time list of all of baseball. Would he crack the top 10? 20?