• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

People here seem to be forgetting something about Jeter...

QuinlansMinion

Eric, what's with you going after anyone who says anything appreciative of non-Angels? (e.g. Beane and Jeter).

Most of it is comedic in nature and the rest is just sacred cow butchering. Like posting that Maddon should be fired for his miserable fourth place finish. You get a hundred different arguments how he is a genius and Scioscia an idiot for stepping on that sacred cow's toe.

The Jeter lovefest is way over the top but I guess you have to live on the West coast to really feel the bile every time the national media fawns over a guy that should have retired a few years ago. You know, when he was still good enough to earn his paycheck. But hey, he got a walkoff hit in his last game at Yankees stadium. I'm sure they have sent the ball, bat and first base to Cooperstown.

Two things

1) Why does all the attention Jeter gets bother you?  Hes one of the greatest players ever (notice I said one of).  No idea why you brought up Trout and the ASG award, but alright.

2) I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

1) There is already a current thread about St. Jeter of the Bronx, you could have placed this gem there,

2) Hell of a lot of fun, I just never invite Jeets because he always walks off with the best looking chicks.

Derek Jeter had a great career and is/was a fantastic ambassador of the game.

He never cheated, but his stats/awards/honors and even titles are EXTREMELY padded because of:

A.) He was on a team with no payroll

B.) He played for the New York Yankees

C.) Gold Gloves might as well mean most popular

You'd be a little pissed too if you had a career similar to say:

Todd Helton

Paul Konerko

Even Griffey Jr didn't get a 1/4 of the attention Jeter gets. Hell, he might have not got 1/10th.

It's not even Jeter, it's ESPN, MLB, etc.

Yeah, I know...real original....but, it's true.

Edited by DW711

He never cheated, but his stats/awards/honors and even titles are EXTREMELY padded because of:

Todd Helton

Paul Konerko

Even Griffey Jr didn't get a 1/4 of the attention Jeter gets. Hell, he might have not got 1/10th.

And how many of those guys are top 6 of all time in hits?  

There's a reason Jeter gets more attention then Todd Helton.

And how many of those guys are top 6 of all time in hits?  

There's a reason Jeter gets more attention then Todd Helton.

Those three guys are just examples because I didn't feel like doing 1/2 hour of research but since you asked....it has something to do with that Jeter played three more years and had roughly 3,200 more at bats than Helton.

Those three guys are just examples because I didn't feel like doing 1/2 hour of research but since you asked....it has something to do with that Jeter played three more years and had roughly 3,200 more at bats than Helton.

I get it now.  Hes only 6th all time in hits because he had 3,200 more at bats then Helton.

You're right, Todd Helton deserves more attention.

You must think that Juan Pierre (and his 2200+ career hits) was almost as good of an offensive player as Paul Konerko (2300+ hits) was.

Hey, Pierre only had 300 fewer career hits than Todd Helton (and Pierre had 1500 fewer PAs). Pierre>Helton?

Im sorry but what the heck are you babbling about?  I didnt say hits was the end all be all of stats but when you're 6th all time and have a career .309 BA with a career .377 OBP, thats kind of a big deal.

The first 10 years of his career he was fine on D too.  Not saying GG D, though he did earn maybe two of those GGs, but I have no idea why the Yanks didn't move him from SS.  I guess when you have Cano and Arod there is nowhere to put him.  Dude would have been fine at 2b in the second half of his career.

Todd Helton

Paul Konerko

-Jeter was instrumental in making the Yanks a great team. So why are his stats "padded" when he created those opportunities. That's like saying Mantle, Gehrig, Ruth, etc... have padded stats because they were on winning teams. Despite the fact THEY are the reason for being on a winning team.

-Interesting you talk about Jeter having padded stats then counter with Helton. I feel Helton deserves more recognition, but he played in Coors before the humidifier.  I could argue Helton's numbers would have been lower if he played on the Yanks.

-Konerko??? Doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Jeter. Konerko is having a great career, but Jeter's was incredible.

-Griffey's legacy is still intact. Jeter's success has had no impact on that. Ken announced his retirement mid season and only played in 33 games. Kind of hard to celebrate a guy when he's not on the field. If Griffey retired this year under the same circumstances as Jeter, I would expect the same the same national attention.

Edited by mancini79

Im sorry but what the heck are you babbling about? I didnt say hits was the end all be all of stats but when you're 6th all time and have a career .309 BA with a career .377 OBP, thats kind of a big deal.

You're making it sound like Jeter was a better offensive player than someone like Helton. And you keep mentioning his career hits... as if that somehow proves it. Jeter was a great hitting SS. Compared to other SS of his time, he was great. But compared to a player like Helton... No. He was not a better offensive player

Edited by Angels

You're making it sound like Jeter was a better offensive player than someone like Helton. And you keep mentioning his career hits... as if that somehow proves it. Jeter was a great hitting SS. Compared to other SS of his time, he was great. But compared to a player like Helton... No. He was not a better offensive player

Id take Jeter in his prime over Helton in his prime for a few reasons

1) Its much easier to field a solid lineup with a dominant SS as opposed to having a dominant 1B.  Power hitting 1st basemen are not that rare especially in the era Helton played in.  

2) Helton has a .584 OPS in 57 career playoff AB's.

3) Jeter has a .308 AVG with an .838 OPS, to along with 20 career postseason home runs.

I never said Jeter wasn't a better player than Helton (with context). I said he wasn't a better offensive player. It's an invalid comparison anyway, considering they played wildly different positions. But it was only brought up because you made it sound like Jeter was a better offensive player than Helton because Jeter had way more career hits.

Jeter had longevity and health on his side. He played at a high level consistently from 1995-2012. That's what makes him great. He was consistently good for a long time. A guy like Helton had some amazing peak years but not the consistency of a Jeter.

Edited by Angels

I never said Jeter wasn't a better player than Helton (with context). I said he wasn't a better offensive player. It's an invalid comparison anyway, considering they played wildly different positions. But it was only brought up because you made it sound like Jeter was a better offensive player than Helton because Jeter had way more career hits.

Jeter had longevity and health on his side. He played at a high level consistently from 1995-2012. That's what makes him great. He was consistently good. A guy like Helton had some amazing peak years but not the consistency of a Jeter.

Thats fine I just dont understand why that A's fan said Helton should get as much attention as Jeter?  It shouldnt even be a close comparsion.  Helton's career is largely irrelevant, just a slugging 1st basemen in Coors Field with a horrible postseason resume.

-Jeter was instrumental in making the Yanks a great team. So why are his stats "padded" when he created those opportunities. That's like saying Mantle, Gehrig, Ruth, etc... have padded stats because they were on winning teams. Despite the fact THEY are the reason for being on a winning team.

-Interesting you talk about Jeter having padded stats then counter with Helton. I feel Helton deserves more recognition, but he played in Coors before the humidifier.  I could argue Helton's numbers would have been lower if he played on the Yanks.

-Konerko??? Doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Jeter. Konerko is having a great career, but Jeter's was incredible.

-Griffey's legacy is still intact. Jeter's success has had no impact on that. Ken announced his retirement mid season and only played in 33 games. Kind of hard to celebrate a guy when he's not on the field. If Griffey retired this year under the same circumstances as Jeter, I would expect the same the same national attention.

Fair enough on padded stats based on stacked line ups, but still..gold gloves, all star games he clearly didn't deserve to be in, etc,,,that's more what I was talking about.

I wasn't even talking about Helton's numbers vs Jeters specifically..I was talking about recognition.

Jeter played in Yankee stadium and four other parks geared for offense roughly 70% of his career while Helton played in Coors Field...I get it.

Konerko not being in the same sentence as Jeter?

Griffey Jr getting the same notoriety as Jeter if it happened today?

No, sorry.

Jeter did have a great career, but incredible? Ruth was incredible. Mays, Rickey, etc...not Jeter.

Is he a top 50 all time player?

Maybe, maybe not

I'd compare his career to current players like Adrian Beltre and Carlos Beltran.

That's far from an insult.

Fair enough on padded stats based on stacked line ups, but still..gold gloves, all star games he clearly didn't deserve to be in, etc,,,that's more what I was talking about.

I wasn't even talking about Helton's numbers vs Jeters specifically..I was talking about recognition.

Jeter played in Yankee stadium and four other parks geared for offense roughly 70% of his career while Helton played in Coors Field...I get it.

Konerko not being in the same sentence as Jeter?

Griffey Jr getting the same notoriety as Jeter if it happened today?

No, sorry.

Jeter did have a great career, but incredible? Ruth was incredible. Mays, Rickey, etc...not Jeter.

Is he a top 50 all time player?

Maybe, maybe not

I'd compare his career to current players like Adrian Beltre and Carlos Beltran.

That's far from an insult.

When any of those players have the postseason resume as well as all the clutch moments and hits, then you may have an argument.

Just watched the video of Jeter's last game in NY. Pretty cool.

The coolest thing about it was that it put us closer to clinching home field advantage.

I have to admit, though, it was like theater. Just when it appeared that the Yankees were going to win and Jeter had already batted for the final time, Baltimore ties the game with three in the top of the ninth. Then base hit, sacrifice and game winner on the first pitch.