• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeterfest Officailly Over

Glen

Again -- yeah there's been a lot of hype over "Jeter-fest' and it may be a bit over done (everything out of NY is) but he's clearly been a great player for this game and the game will miss him.

He deserves the accolades.

One aspect over-looked, however, is this could be Ichiro's final MLB game as well (is he signed through next year? He's 40 now but plays like he's younger but obviously not like he did when he first entered the league from the Japanese major leagues).....what did Ichiro have ? something like 200 hits a season for 10 straight year? I mean he had some ridiculously great stat like that, a stat that really puts him in some very select company in the history of MLB.

He also has a combined 4,000-plus hits when you combine his HOF like career in Japan stats with his HOF like career in MLB stats........he had, at one time, one of the most incredible arms from RF which resulted in a number of assists (runners thrown out) from RF..........he stole bases and had some power (hit 20 HRs a season for a while there) so he's close to a five tool player -- little weak on the power side -----

if you watch the Japanese little league team entries during the time Ichiro has been playing -- they all seem to immolate his batting stance and style.......he's likely had a larger influence on the game in Japan than Jeter has had in the US.

The TBS announcers just stated something along the lines of "now that Jeter's made his exit, there's not much to talk about, blah, blah, blah........."

I'd suggest they spend the remainder of the game talking about the a player who may be the only guy to be a HOF'er in both the Japan major leagues and MLB........Ichiro.

And -- Ichiro also hit a triple today which gives him 100 hits this season, a total he has reached in every one of his MLB seasons.........another accomplishment. I don't think they even mentioned it.

I'm with you on Ichiro being a great player, but he never had the power you suggest. His major league high for HRs is 15. He hit over 20 professionally twice (25 in '95 and 21 in '99).

Eric -- -well you are right and I don't know what his contract status is --- but if I were in the shoes of the TBS announcers -- you bet I'd be talking about Ichiro's MLB accomplishments today.......

Ichiro has another year left on his deal with New York. He says that he has no plans to join Jeter in retirement.

Ruth was probably right, too. lol. 

AVG and total base hits were what Ichiro cared about. I think he might have had a more balanced focus if he hadn't come in at the end of the juice era.

Ichiro was a player who was completely about himself and his stats. I mean, he went into each year saying his goal was to get 200 hits, and nothing else.

He was the highest paid player, but he even bunted for an infield hit with RISP and 2 outs, just to pad his hit totals.  Ichiro would get a single, but runners wouldn't advance, and the next guy would strand them.

I remember his teammates saying they hated him.

It's evident with how Robinson Cano is making the M's a much better team than when they had Ichiro in his prime. 

John McDonald ended his career today with a line drive double to break up the shutout today by scoring Boesch from 2nd base. The Angels asked for the baseball but for some reason there was no standing ovation from the fans, a post game ceremony or a parade scheduled. It might be because he came up 2,895 hits short of Derek Jeters career totals.