• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does extra WC spot truly add intrigue?

Angel Oracle

In 2011, if the 2 WC teams system was in place, the Red Sux would have made the WC game despite the beer and chicken fueled collapse. It would not have been as big of a news item.

In 2014, both leagues have pretty much determined all 5 post-season teams.

Under the old format, both leagues would have furious 3 team battles going on with 2 post-season spots at stake (Central champ and WC spot).

I don't think the wild card team should get a free pass into the Division Series. There should be a penalty for not winning your division. However, I do think the wild card game should be a best of three series. have all three games at the stadium of the team with the better record. That way it puts more incentive on winning the first wild card spot and it cuts down on wasted days spent traveling.

it isnt just intrigue, its also making it more of a penalty to be the WC

dont get me wrong, i hate it, but the extra play-in game makes people have to make very difficult choices on their pitching selections and puts a premium on winning the division to avoid that 1 game crapshoot.

that having been said i think it adds a little to what might otherwise be a rather uneventful final week.

It was set up to punish the Wild Card teams. I don't know how many wild card teams other than the Angels, Red Sox and Cardinals won the World Series, but too many as far as Bud and his bosses in the Bronx were concerned. I liked the system the way it was, I just hate the one and done part. Even a 2 out of 3 would be better  but then if a Wild Card were to win, they would say the division winners had too much time off between games and lost their edge.

I'd rather see a closer to balanced schedule, a single wild card berth, and the division round be made best of 7.

Part of the reason for going to two wild cards (instead of one) was complaint about unequal strength of schedule due to some divisions being weaker than others. This problem would be somewhat reduced if the schedule were more even

instead of 19 games vs teams in the division and 6-7 games/each against other teams in the same league they should do 13 games against division rivals and 9 games against the others, with 20 games left over for interleague.

No day's off for the wild card teams. Regular season ends and the next day they start a best of 3 series. Then the very next day they play in the LDS.

problem is they need to leave a day off for possible tiebreakers and makeup games. If you want to do best of three without the division winners sitting around too long do it as a planned doubleheader, then rubber game the next day. Allow full expanded rosters to participate. Then if you make the divisional round 7 games there will still be a handicap due to the WC team using up pitchers but it wouldn't be too ridiculous.

They could still have an off day on a Monday and have the best of three wildcard series on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Make the Thursday game a day game to allow the winner to travel that night. Then start the Division Series on Friday.

It's not that big of a deal. If you look at the NLDS this year, they don't start until Friday. So the NL division leaders are getting 4 days off this year from the end of the season to game 1 of the NLDS. It would work the same way if there was a wildcard series.

Edited by Chimi

I would start the season the end of March like this year not April 4th or 5th like next year. Then I would have scheduled double headers one Sunday a Month, followed by those teams having the next day off. That would cut a week off the schedule. Then the Tuesday after the regular season start the three game WC series. Then the ALDS and NLDS starts on Friday. Maybe you can have the first 3 games of the ALDS at the home team of the division champs, or no travel day between game two and three.

The Answer is not less games because of revenue. The answer is not fewer days off because they hardly get any to begin with. The answer is one of three things, scheduled double headers (maybe you allow an extra pitcher on the roster for those games), start in March in warmer areas or in some stadiums, or play in November.