• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offseason Trades/FA Acquisitions?

CAAngelsLifer

Is it too early to talk about this? It comes up in pretty much every other thread so I figured I'd just make an official one in case anyone else doesn't have to work today. 

Who do you think we can get for $9.5M in the starting pitching category?

Hint: it's not Scherzer and it's not Lester so let's not waste our time.

Plus, you gotta figure they'll need to replace Grilli & Thatcher as well in the BP. Pretty much everyone was up or traded this year so they've gotta find someone unless Jerry has a couple more Matt Shoemakers stashed in the farm somewhere. 

Is there a Sams Club for pitchers? 

My guess is if Arte wants Lester or Scherzer then he will spend the money to get one of those guys, regardless to what it does to the luxury cap. Those are both the kind of pitchers you go after regardless of the tax. In my opinion we should go after one of those guys whether we win it all or not, because this team can still be good for a few years, but will always need good to great starting pitching.

I find it interesting that the general understanding is that Arte Moreno is dead set against going over the luxury tax when I think he said in February that he would do it if it meant "putting his team over the top". The MLB rumor mill always seems to add as the postscript to any potential Angels deal "but Moreno will be reluctant to go over the luxury tax in the offseason..."
He's had some kind of embarrassing busts in recent high end FA signings so I would be really surprised if they aren't at least a little more cautious this time around.

Do we have any medium level big leaguers who would be realistic trade bait for young pitchers like Skaggs/Santiago last season? Just looking for opinions. Conger/Cowgill/Green types... although conger would bring up catching depth issues.

Edited by JeanneusP

Nibs' self-destruction does make one leery of signing a big money guy from elsewhere, granted his salary is no longer truly big money in 2015 dollars.

Assuming GRich is good to go by no later than May 1, 2015, they really should focus on a solid not great guy who would not command $200 million+ long term.

who do you think that is? Someone like McCarthy or someone a little fancier? 

I think we'll get one of Scherzer or Shields.

I also hear that Garrett Richards may be ready by April/May, not the All-Star Break like some have said. He slated to start running in December. 

The rotation we'll begin the season with will be Weaver, Shoemaker, Rasmus, Wilson (FA acquisition or trade, who could be our #1 guy entering the season).

From what I hear, depending on what Josh does for us in the postseason, we may Vernon Wells his arse in the offseason.  

From what I hear, depending on what Josh does for us in the postseason, we may Vernon Wells his arse in the offseason.  

Interesting. It would be a mistake IMO to not wait and see how he did when the season starts. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses for Josh, but I really think that thumb injury screwed up his season this year. He looked like his old self the first couple weeks of the season. I would wait and see how he looks at the start of the next season. Give him a couple months, if he still looks completely lost and apathetic, then I'd think about releasing him. Doing it this offseason feels more like trying to make a point, which you're only hurting yourself, since you're the one that has to pay him still.

Speaking of Vernon Wells, dude took a lot of teams to the cleaners: 

"When the contract ends after the 2014 season, Wells will have received ~$45 million from the Blue Jays, $67.1 million from the Angels, and $13.9 million from the Yankees since 2008. During that time, Wells hit .255 (.302 OBP), averaged 19 home runs and eight stolen bases per season, and was named to one All-Star team (2010)."

-Business Insider

in 2014 we paid him what, $18.5M? That's a nightmare. 

Is it too early to talk about this? It comes up in pretty much every other thread so I figured I'd just make an official one in case anyone else doesn't have to work today. 

Who do you think we can get for $9.5M in the starting pitching category?

Hint: it's not Scherzer and it's not Lester so let's not waste our time.

Plus, you gotta figure they'll need to replace Grilli & Thatcher as well in the BP. Pretty much everyone was up or traded this year so they've gotta find someone unless Jerry has a couple more Matt Shoemakers stashed in the farm somewhere. 

Is there a Sams Club for pitchers? 

Why are we limited to a 9.5 budget?

My guess is if Arte wants Lester or Scherzer then he will spend the money to get one of those guys, regardless to what it does to the luxury cap. Those are both the kind of pitchers you go after regardless of the tax. In my opinion we should go after one of those guys whether we win it all or not, because this team can still be good for a few years, but will always need good to great starting pitching.

Id be cool with Lester, want no part of Scherzer...   He's already turned down huge money and given his age and the type of pitcher he is, I wouldn't be shocked if he goes Verlander on whoever signs him.   I like Shields a lot too but he will likely cost a pick to sign. 

I do think Arte might be tempted to dip into the FA pool again, not sure they want to lose a first rounder.

I find it interesting that the general understanding is that Arte Moreno is dead set against going over the luxury tax when I think he said in February that he would do it if it meant "putting his team over the top". The MLB rumor mill always seems to add as the postscript to any potential Angels deal "but Moreno will be reluctant to go over the luxury tax in the offseason..."

He's had some kind of embarrassing busts in recent high end FA signings so I would be really surprised if they aren't at least a little more cautious this time around.

Do we have any medium level big leaguers who would be realistic trade bait for young pitchers like Skaggs/Santiago last season? Just looking for opinions. Conger/Cowgill/Green types... although conger would bring up catching depth issues.

Kendrick or Aybar.  With how those two are playing this year I would be reluctant to trade them.  Especially after trading the players most readily able to replace them.   

Green seems like a good player.  He also seems to be blocked with the addition of Beckham.  Could he get us anything?

Why are we limited to a 9.5 budget?

Because once our budget goes over that threshold, Arte has to start paying into the luxury tax. basically you start paying an additional % of your payroll to the league as a penalty for spending more money than the poor teams can afford. The percentage goes up and up depending on how far above the threshold you go.

It's hard to explain, here's an old link.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/9/11/4719062/mlb-yankees-dodgers-luxury-tax-2013-penalty

but Arte may not care. we'll found out fairly soon. 

Kendrick or Aybar. With how those two are playing this year I would be reluctant to trade them. Especially after trading the players most readily able to replace them.

Green seems like a good player. He also seems to be blocked with the addition of Beckham. Could he get us anything?

I thought Green was going to be a trade deadline casualty for pitching. but either they didn't want to get rid of him, as desperate as we were for pitchers, or they tried and couldn't get anyone worth it.

Howie and Aybar- that's risky... they are fairly important team chemistry components I think.

Edited by JeanneusP

Because once our budget goes over that threshold, Arte has to start paying into the luxury tax. basically you start paying an additional % of your payroll to the league as a penalty for spending more money than the poor teams can afford. The percentage goes up and up depending on how far above the threshold you go.

It's hard to explain, here's an old link.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/9/11/4719062/mlb-yankees-dodgers-luxury-tax-2013-penalty

but Arte may not care. we'll found out fairly soon. 

Actually, the percentage goes up the more years a team is over the threshold, not how much over the threshold the team is.

Of course, the percentage will determine the total amount of money that a team has to pay.

Actually, the percentage goes up the more years a team is over the threshold, not how much over the threshold the team is.

Of course, the percentage will determine the total amount of money that a team has to pay.

Thank you. I had been trying to explain the luxury tax, got lost, posted that link instead, then didn't backspace far enough before posting. haha... i guess I'll never make it as a journalist now. 

who do you think that is? Someone like McCarthy or someone a little fancier?

McCarthy is intriguing, given how he pitched this season.

Cueto has never been known as an endurance guy, lots of nagging issues.

Hamilton is not going anywhere after 2014, he's still owed about $90 million.

That may end up being the worst ever Halos contract, unless his thumb did prove to be his undoing in 2014 and he hits well from the start in 2015.

Edited by Angel Oracle

McCarthy is intriguing, given how he pitched this season.

Cueto has never been known as an endurance guy, lots of nagging issues.

Hamilton is not going anywhere after 2014, he's still owed about $90 million.

That may end up being the worst ever Halos contract, unless his thumb did prove to be his undoing in 2014 and he hits well from the start in 2015.

I think McCarthy would be a good acquisition for down-rotation, however, I think that the uncertainty about Richards and whether he'll immediately step in and be this year's version when he is back, requires a substantial financial commitment to a Scherzer or Lester-type. Barring that, at least Shields, or, if not renewed, Cueto.