• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Derek Jeter is not the greatest baseball player in the last 5 million years.

lovetheangels

He's definitely a HOFer, but if he played out his career with any other team he wouldn't be getting this farewell tour. His legacy is propped up because he played on the Yankees and because they won a lot of WS early in his career

I don't even hate Jeter, but these farewell tours are lame. Did it last year with Mo, this year with Jeter...is this the new thing for some reason? WIll Pujols get the same treatment when he's wrapping up his career, which was far more impressive than Jeter's?

I'll have to check it out later, but without having watched it I think Jeter is a classic over/under-rated player. The fanboys overrate him, while the "haters" underrate him. It is worth considering the all-time list in fWAR for shortstops. Jeter is 6th, which is pretty damn good but part of that is longevity. For instance, Jeter (2743 games, 73.7 fWAR) is higher than Barry Larkin (2180, 67.6) but that's largely due to him playing in almost 600 more games. Per game played Larkin was a better player - a very similar hitter, but much better defender.

But it is hard to slight a player for hitting .310/.377/.440 and a 119 wRC+ with average defense at short year in and year out for two decades. A comparable player at second base would be Rod Carew, who hit .328/.393/.429 with a 132 wRC+ and 72.3 fWAR in 2469 games, and similar defensive mediocrity. Neither Carew or Jeter should be considered among the very, very best at their position, but they're both in the next group down.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Whenever I bring up Jeter being over celebrated a Yankees fan always bring up how they'll do the same to Trout. Fair enough, but the difference is that if Trout continues on his current path and if he has a career as long as Jeter's, he'll end it all as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, player of all time. So it's kind of justified.

Facts:

Jeter will retire with the sixth most hits in baseball history.

He did that in 20 seasons which is fewer seasons than the rest of the 15 players in the top 16. 

Tony Gwynn and Robin Young also played 20 seasons and don't have as many hits.

Keep in mind he also got to play almost an entire season in the playoffs throughout his career, which netted him another 200 hits.

.308 lifetime in the playoffs, not bad at all.

He's definitely a HOFer, but if he played out his career with any other team he wouldn't be getting this farewell tour. His legacy is propped up because he played on the Yankees and because they won a lot of WS early in his career

I don't even hate Jeter, but these farewell tours are lame. Did it last year with Mo, this year with Jeter...is this the new thing for some reason? WIll Pujols get the same treatment when he's wrapping up his career, which was far more impressive than Jeter's?

I have no problem with the retirement tour as you guys say it.  He had a great HOF career.  What pisses me off is the "Derek Jeter" Day the Angels gave him LAST YEAR.  which wasn't his retirement year.

When a player like Jeter retires he should be honored as a farewell.  So should Pujols.  

So should Vernon Wells....

OK......drug test on that last one.

Facts:

Jeter will retire with the sixth most hits in baseball history.   That's quite an accomplishment. http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/H_career.shtml

He did that in 20 seasons which is fewer seasons than the rest of the 15 players in the top 16. 

Tony Gwynn and Robin Young also played 20 seasons and don't have as many hits. 

No other Yankee has 3,000 hits.

No one is saying he's the greatest of all time - but he's definitely a HOF'er.

The tour is a little over the top, but I don't mind it too much.  I think more players should get recognized at the end of their careers.

Gwynn's and Yount's numbers are far more impressive if you consider the quality of the teams they played for compared to those Yankee teams.