• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not start Rasmus in the post-season?

The team only has 2 reliable starters. Even though he had a strong start last time out, Wilson's still a question mark? Santiago has really struggled. Rasmus has pretty much exceeded what many of us could have expected out of him. If he isn't already in the plans to be one of the starters next season, he definitely should be.

Since, any game not started by Weaver or Shoemaker, will most likely end up being a bullpen game, why not start a pitcher who has consistently thrown up zeros? I really just want to not have to rely on the offense too much.

I am usually up for questioning or criticizing but I think you have to trust Scioscia and Butcher on this one....the plan, since the "bullpen day" strategy was hatched, has been not to push Rasmus or "stretch him out" too far, too fast....I think he might get a shot in the spring but they obviously are being careful now....if Shoemaker is out, it could be a possibility but not sure otherwise...

Edited by DMVol

I am usually up for questioning or criticizing but I think you have to trust Scioscia and Butcher on this one....the plan, since the "bullpen day" strategy was hatched, has been not to push Rasmus or "stretch him out" too far, too fast....I think he might get a shot in the spring but they obviously are being careful now....if Shoemaker is out, it could be a possibility but not sure otherwise...

I agree. Rasmus had multiple shoulder injuries as a starter, which is why he was converted to a reliever. It's best not to push him too far, too fast.

Edited by SoWhat

There is a very good reason to not start Rasmus during the postseason.

It's actually very simple. We cannot afford a designated "bullpen game" in the playoffs. The reason why it's (sort of) working now is because since the call ups on September 1, we have eleventy billion arms in the bullpen.

And yet, the mainstays are showing signs of overuse.

We have Weaver, who struggles to make it past the 6th. We have Shoemaker, who will probably have to be limited (assuming that he recovers from his oblique strain in time). We have Wilson, who could go 2 innings, or could go 8. The same could be said for Santiago (although more likely between 2 & 6 innings). There is already enough uncertainty, and we will not have enough arms to cover a bullpen game.

Here's the 411.

Santiago rarely ever exceeds 5 innings anyway.

Rasmus has worked his way up to 4 innings his past 2 starts.

You can NOT pitch anyone on just 3 days rest.

Therefore, a 4 man rotation is 100% in stone for October.

Therefore, starting Rasmus instead of Santiago will not put THAT much extra strain on the pen; and based on Santiago's tanking lately gives the team a better chance to win.

Heck, if LeBlanc pitches well on Tuesday, I'd even start him over Santiago if Rasmus has to be carried as a reliever. Then have Santiago over Thatcher in the pen.

Edited by Angel Oracle

...Heck, if LeBlanc pitches well on Tuesday, I'd even start him over Santiago if Rasmus has to be carried as a reliever. Then have Santiago over Thatcher in the pen....

I don't think Thatcher makes the playoff roster, although a couple of strong outings this week could change that....if Santiago bombs again this week, not sure what the plan will be...could be LeBlanc....

Just let him throw 65-70 pitches in his last start before the ALDS. Then he can throw 70-75 pitches in each post-season start.

Rasmus >>>>>>> Santiago!!!!!!!

You didn't notice he ran out of gas yesterday at 59 pitches? You are promoting the same idea of converting a reliever to pitcher in short order that blew up Neftali Feliz.

You didn't notice he ran out of gas yesterday at 59 pitches? You are promoting the same idea of converting a reliever to pitcher in short order that blew up Neftali Feliz.

It's only for one more regular season start, plus at most 2-3 post-season starts as the 4th starter then.   That's hardly doing to him what Tejas did to Feliz and Ogando in pitching them as starters for an entire season after a few years of relief.   Plus, they were throwing 110 pitches per start.

And again, which is better for the 4th starter spot in this post-season?   

A tanking Santiago who can only give you 5 innings tops even when okay?    Or a Rasmus who now cruises through 50 pitches and may be able to do that through 60 pitches in the post-season and give them ONE less inning than Santiago and much better pitching?

If they have any doubts in the off-season due to prior shoulder issues when starting, then yes feel free to focus on him as a key late innings reliever going forward AFTER 2014.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

Something like moving Santiago to the pen, even for Rasmus (who has admittedly been good) seems reactionary to me.  This is the same Santiago that, in spite of the recent meltdown, has a post All-Star Break ERA under 3.5 and is holding batters to a .232 average with runners in scoring position on the season.

Considering the lack of other options I'd rather see them trust in Santiago to pull it together and be the reasonable starter he's been most of the year.  I know this is the playoffs we're talking about and there isn't much room to mess around but many pitchers have a stretch of a few bad starts and pull out of it.  Of course, Santiago isn't exactly the most dominant pitcher to start with but it's not like he's generally terrible either.

Rasmus was clearly gassed in the 5th yesterday... I was there and it was pretty clear.  I doubt he gets stretched out enough in the last few games of the year to pitch 5-7 innings in the playoffs, especially considering the arm issues that caused him to be converted in the first place.  I can see him being incredibly useful if CJ or Santiago decide to blow up but I'd rather start them than him.

Edited by Link

On Saturday I asked Scioscia specifically about stretching Rasmus further. He insisted that he had been going as far as he could go and he was tired each time they took him out.

Just because you got out the last batter you faced doesn't mean you aren't tired.

Also, don't forget, pitching is not just how many times your arm can throw a ball so you can just crank it up 10 more each time. It's a whole body thing. And his whole body hasn't been training to start in 3 years.

And this isn't spring training when you can just crank up 10 more pitches just for the exercise. These are the most important, most intense pitches he has ever thrown in his life.

Wilson is not a question mark, hes in the rotation and should be.
in his last 9 starts he has given up more than 3 ER only once. 
peripherals haven't been awesome but hes gotten it done and has the ability to do what he did in his last start, can you say that about Rasmus?
Rasmus has done well, but lets not get carried away.

<p>Wilson is a rollercoaster ride and inconsistent but he IS a starting pitcher and he's paid like a one. He's in shape for it and the Angels wouldn't be risking his arm/shoulder/career to expect a full start out of him.  He CAN be a very good one when he's on. I think we're stuck with him. If we had Skaggs OR Richards it would be a discussion but it's just not an option. Scioscia has to start him. We just have to invest in extra beers those nights. </p>

Edited by JeanneusP

The bright sides are Weaver finding his old arm angle, and the extra couple mph with it, and Wilson hopefully having made his adjustments.

Now if only Shoemaker could be healthy by no later than ALDS game 3, then maybe we can skate by with a Santiago/Rasmus combo for any start in their rotation spot.  

Would they then still likely need 7 relievers to go with those 5 pitchers?   Or could they skate by with 6 relievers to go with those 5 pitchers?

Edited by Angel Oracle

On Saturday I asked Scioscia specifically about stretching Rasmus further. He insisted that he had been going as far as he could go and he was tired each time they took him out.

Just because you got out the last batter you faced doesn't mean you aren't tired.

Also, don't forget, pitching is not just how many times your arm can throw a ball so you can just crank it up 10 more each time. It's a whole body thing. And his whole body hasn't been training to start in 3 years.

And this isn't spring training when you can just crank up 10 more pitches just for the exercise. These are the most important, most intense pitches he has ever thrown in his life.

^^^^^^This x1000000