• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone else getting concerned about parts of the 'pen?

Oz27

well, of course, the number one concern is the rotation but then the issues with the pen are a related concern particularly if 50 pitch a start Rasmus is used as a starter in the playoffs.

Friday/ Saturday's LA Times had an article regarding playoff roster decisions and whether the Halos might carry 12 pitchers which would limit the number of position players available off the bench.

That concerns me --- most teams, at this point, in a playoff series, are in a position where they might be able to 'cheat' on the side of carrying 9 or even 8 (8 seems a bit risky) pitchers because they go with a three man rotation, have the fourth starter available as a long relief, pre set up guy and then go to their closer, set up guy and two of their best depth pen guys.

that frees the team up to keep that speedster/ defensive guys on the roster to insert in the late innings to bring home the tying/ winning run or to have play 3B/ MIF during the 8th/9th.

If the Halos go with an increased number of pitchers -- it means that a guy like John McDonald doesn't make the playoff roster..........and I realize that October (in fact, September, it appears) is when Freese comes alive with the bat and all -- but think about Freese at third in the 8th inning of a 1 run game and a groundball between SS and third goes for a two run single instead of GIDP or a third out force play..........

when things are generally going so well, its pretty easy to get worried about different parts of the team I think.  Im terrified that the offense is going to fizzle out. The bullpen stuff as well.  Like some others have said, lots of work those arms in the pen have gotten.  Really concerned about Shoemaker also.

Edited by UndertheHalo

I'm concerned about the bullpen as much as the next guy but I am also concerned about whether our offense will be hot or cold in two weeks and whether Shoemaker will be back in time and if he is if he'll be the same Shoemaker we had in August. But it doesn't do much good to be concerned. We have who we have and I'm pretty grateful for them right about now because we just won the division. I know we don't want to be content with just that but it was quite the hard fought victory over Oakland (the best team MLB had ever seen according to everyone a month ago). 

The thing with the bullpen is that you have to look at those numbers with some perspective- Scioscia and Butcher have a LARGE bullpen right now. They've also had some VERY large leads in the month of September where they were putting in Cam Bedrosian, Herrera, Thatcher etc. and if Maronde/Frieri/kohn were still on the roster they would have thrown them in too. They've been eating a LOT of innings in games that either didn't matter or weren't close. 

I'm choosing to look at this glass half full.

October baseball isn't about who has the perfect team- it's about who is playing the best during that few week period. I hope it's us. If all cylinders are cranking, i still think we have a shot. This week they had the look of a team that clinched and was taking a bit of a breather. that better change soon so they can get that momentum going into the ALDS. 

Right now none of the wildcard teams are playing .500 ball in their last 10 games.

I know- i was just discussing this with my husband! suddenly no one is playing like they even want to be in the playoffs. even the Orioles (probably the more complete AL playoff teams) just lost a couple to the Last Sox. The division champs at least already clinched at are resting starters here and there so it's not that unexpected. But Houston and Texas are really throwing a wrench into the WC race! I thought the Mariners should have overtaken Oakland by now. 

IP... I heard you and I agree... the bullpen was probably a little too rested and didn't get enough work.  I'm not concerned to the point where I'm projecting doom and gloom.

I don't like the fact that they will have 3 days off before they start the ALDS - I'm concerned that the offense will come out flat.