• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAUSD: "an astonishing success"

I know right. God forbid someone speak a language other than English, the most flawed and confusing language on the planet.

there should be English cops roaming the streets, beating anyone who utters a foreign word

or maybe if one expects to learn they should speak the language of the curriculum?

teachers cant speak multiple languages simultaneously and at the end of the day its on the student to make the effort to learn so... what would you have the schools do ?

• 2 weeks later...

Who could forget that wonderful purple type?

my first two years of teaching we still had to use that old mimeograph machine. i remember going home with tons of purple ink on my fingers and under my nails. it didn't wash off all that easily.

Edited by Tank

people automatically think that having technology available is going to make our kids smarter just like that. kids still need basic tools like how to read and how to find information, then understand what that info means. you can use technology for that, but ipads in and of themselves are not a cure all.

we're doing a little research on benedict arnold in my 8th grade history class. i've had 5 or 6 kids come up to me with an encyclopedia, volume B, saying they couldn't find him anywhere.

oy vey.

Whatever happened to just learning by reading a textbook? Does that not work anymore?

it's a google society these days. kids want to be able to simply type in a name or word, get the info to complete an assignment, and move on. absorbing information so that your general knowledge increases is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. it's why jimmy kimmel's man on the street interviews and jay leno's jay walking were so wildly awful - people don't know squat anymore.

we're doing a little research on benedict arnold in my 8th grade history class. i've had 5 or 6 kids come up to me with an encyclopedia, volume B, saying they couldn't find him anywhere.

oy vey.

Benedict Arnold.  He's the one that invented that egg right?

oy vey.

I wouldn't have the patience for that.

oy vey.

Next time teach them about Babe Ruth and finish by saying think of the Red Sox as the Americans and the Yankees as the Brits...  Damn I guess that doesn't work.

iPads and tablets in general have at least the POTENTIAL of breaking the cartel that are textbook publishers, plus the added benefit of not weighing a metric crap-ton (technical term). The technology is still slightly under mature but we're almost there. Multimedia applications (to steal a 90s term) is really only an added bonus.

iPads and tablets in general have at least the POTENTIAL of breaking the cartel that are textbook publishers, plus the added benefit of not weighing a metric crap-ton (technical term). The technology is still slightly under mature but we're almost there. Multimedia applications (to steal a 90s term) is really only an added bonus.

I agree in this, in theory.  But what is surprising, going at another media, or medium, ah whatever English Cop.  But looking at movie prices.  I don't buy movies, but occassionally look at the Play store.  But it seems that even digital downloads are the same as what a new DVD/Blu Ray disc would cost.  So the digital way has had little effect on mass media.  

eBooks even seem to cost as much as a new actual Book cost.  And way more expensive then a book on Amazon's used bookstore or Abe Books.  For instance.  I bought hardcovers of the Catching Fire series for about $5 bucks used including shipping each.  On sale, on google play the digital download is $8.57.  And new, the paperback sells for $8.32 at Barnes and Noble.

So I just don't think that there is going to be any kind of savings at all.  Probably more of a cost, since now you have to have techs everywhere.  And on top of that, it seems that the big trend lately is to teach some obscure way that confuses most parents on how it works.  Which also means that teachers have to be trained on these obscure teaching methods, then having to explain it to parents.  

i'm hopeful that when my daughter gets to college in three years, all of her textbooks will be digital. i have no interest in paying $250+ for a chemistry or biology book. the digital prices ought to be significantly cheaper.

i saw a demo of an 8th grade science book on an ipad that was very impressive. it had the ability to read the pages to you (if you so desired), but the most amazing thing was that some of the pictures in the book were actually video clips. we looked at some chapter that discussed ants and how they leave pheromone trails. we hit play on the picture of that particular page, and some british researcher comes on the screen and shows you his little experiment. it was outstanding. am hopeful we can have something like that in the not so distant future.

I agree in this, in theory.  But what is surprising, going at another media, or medium, ah whatever English Cop.  But looking at movie prices.  I don't buy movies, but occassionally look at the Play store.  But it seems that even digital downloads are the same as what a new DVD/Blu Ray disc would cost.  So the digital way has had little effect on mass media.  

eBooks even seem to cost as much as a new actual Book cost.  And way more expensive then a book on Amazon's used bookstore or Abe Books.  For instance.  I bought hardcovers of the Catching Fire series for about $5 bucks used including shipping each.  On sale, on google play the digital download is $8.57.  And new, the paperback sells for $8.32 at Barnes and Noble.

So I just don't think that there is going to be any kind of savings at all.  Probably more of a cost, since now you have to have techs everywhere.  And on top of that, it seems that the big trend lately is to teach some obscure way that confuses most parents on how it works.  Which also means that teachers have to be trained on these obscure teaching methods, then having to explain it to parents.  

If you are interested you should see the battle Amazon is fighting with publishers over digital prices. Amazon believes that if ebook prices are lowered that more books will be bought and everyone will make more money overall. See also the Steam sale theory. The publishers in general disagree. While editing and formatting services will always be required, publishers are seeing their role of distribution disappear. They are fighting this inevitability.

If you are interested you should see the battle Amazon is fighting with publishers over digital prices. Amazon believes that if ebook prices are lowered that more books will be bought and everyone will make more money overall. See also the Steam sale theory. The publishers in general disagree. While editing and formatting services will always be required, publishers are seeing their role of distribution disappear. They are fighting this inevitability.

Oh don't get me wrong.  I can believe it.  I was just surprised when thinking about buying a movie that it was the same price.  Same as books.  It just didn't make any sense.  But it's what is happening.