• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Social Service pro's

Roomate here is trying to be a good person and help out some crazy lady who (supposedly) already burnt bridges with all her family, is not a drug addict (allegedly) and her problem is that she just lost it all upstairs some undetermined time ago

The assumption is that she is not battered, not on drugs, but has nowhere else to turn to and is firing on maybe 1 cylinder upstairs

This lady needs a place to live, other than my house

Who do I call, or what do I search for?  I presume California allocates millions of dollars each year for these kind of people

thanks for your time, I hope this lady turns out OK

Nother, try your local community resources.  It might be called the Family Resource Center or something similar.  They will be able to find appropriate services (possibly housing, mental health referral, etc) for her and it's probably faster than trying to contact Social Services yourself.

You are very wise not bringing her into your own home. Once a person establishes residence there they acquire tenant rights under most state laws - even if they pay no rent - and you must go through the legal process of evicting them if they won't leave. I went through this with a stepdaughter who was supposed to be with us for a couple of months and two years later she was still here, demanding this and that.

People can also do unpredictable things when you try to throw them out. A former coworker took in a homeless couple, who seemed to be all right for a while. Things quickly deteriorated and when he got an eviction order they beat him so badly that he nearly died. He still has permanent neurological problems from the beating.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

You are very wise not bringing her into your own home. Once a person establishes residence there they acquire tenant rights under most state laws - even if they pay no rent - and you must go through the legal process of evicting them if they won't leave. I went through this with a stepdaughter who was supposed to be with us for a couple of months and two years later she was still here, demanding this and that.

People can also do unpredictable things when you try to throw them out. A former coworker took in a homeless couple, who seemed to be all right for a while. Things quickly deteriorated and when he got an eviction order they beat him so badly that he nearly died. He still has permanent neurological problems from the beating.

This isn't accurate.

There are squatters rights, but it needs to meet criteria...mainly length of residency, which you provided.

A guest of no relation that pays nothing (they need to at least contribute something where it be for rent or even a utility) can be asked to leave at any time...so long as squatters right are enacted by any time of length.

What you're describing may not even fit under adverse possession.

• 2 weeks later...

so crazy lady came back around 9, started sleeping on the front porch

Called the cops, and she walked away, police didnt chase her much

came back around midnight, pounding on the door, screaming all sorts of stuff, roomate called 911

after the cops had shown up around 20 min later, they put her in cuffs, asked her questions in which she started yelling at the cop

"I SAID NO COMMMENT!!!!" , "you think I look cute in handcuffs dont you?  you want to F___ me now?" etc

huge fire truck came, then an ambulance to put her on a stretcher, I guess she was claiming the guy here was her boyfriend and he had beat her (obviously not true)

Now, I suppose I have to get a restraining order and eat away a portion of my day