• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shoemaker: rib cage injury, will have MRI tomorrow

fan_since79

On May 12 if someone told me our #2 starter (arguably #1) would be missing a start the night after clinching a playoff berth, my first thought would be a very Jim Moraesque "Playoffs???". My second thought would be to ask them if it was Weaver, Wilson or Richards. If they came back with Shoemaker, I would have taken them in for a psych hold.'

By the way, the Angels are 75-38 since his first start. I don't know if he's going to get any MVP votes, but he's definitely earned some.

According to ESPN the injury is pretty serious

"There's no guarantee Shoemaker -- whose 16 wins are a franchise rookie record -- will be able to pitch in the postseason, with manager Mike Scioscia saying his return will be dictated strictly by his healing and not by the club's situation."

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=340917103&teams=seattle-mariners-vs-los-angeles-angels

People who never had an oblique strain think this is not a big deal. I guess you need to work them at some point to injure them. I had an oblique strain pop up our of nowhere every couple of tears for a decade after first injuring it. It was irritating to feel such a small muscle debilitate you immediately. Maybe if Shoe gets some painkillers/cortisone he should be able to pitch some playoffs if not too serious.

Time to bring up Drew Rucinski for a start or 2

Rucinski has been in Phoenix throwing pens and simulated games since last Monday.

If you are talking about Texas this weekend, with no playoff repercussions, that seems like a good plan....for next week, if Shoe can't go, even though we will have likely clinched the division, you might not run Rucinski out against Oakland and/or Seattle....those games do have playoff implications....the question would be, who do you throw out there? Bullpen by committee, LeBlanc....dunno....