• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can the ANGELS sweep the major awards?

JoJo26

He did! It was Bartolo Colon, who I voted for. I look back now and realize I should have voted for someone else. I forget who. Maybe Pedro Martinez?

And there are only 5 spots on the Cy Young ballot.

Johan Santana. He "only" had 16 wins, despite leading the league in virtually every other category.

The only chance Weaver has a shot is if he gave up no more ER this reg season, throws a no-hitter or perfect game, and Sale and Felix really shit the bed the last 2-3 starts they have.

It would have to be blow out city for those two and Weaver to really light it up, like his last performance.   3 starts, 10-12 Ks, no ER, and 3 W.

But I still think it goes Felix-Sale or Sale-Felix.

Shoe has been awesome, hosed for ROY because of Abreu.

He did! It was Bartolo Colon, who I voted for. I look back now and realize I should have voted for someone else. I forget who. Maybe Pedro Martinez?

And there are only 5 spots on the Cy Young ballot.

Jeff - do you give Shoe or Weave one of your 5 votes?

To do what Sale has done in that ballpark is pretty impressive.  Even with less innings, I still might give him my vote.

12 - 3 1.99 ERA   163 IP 2 CG 116 H 34 BB 192 K 0.92 WHIP 195 ERA + (Leads AL)

Agreed. He should win it, but I think in the end he'll be penalized for the games missed and the innings gap between him and Felix

Sale

Felix

Kluber

those should be the top 3. Not much is separating these guys

Edited by bloodbrother

Jeff - do you give Shoe or Weave one of your 5 votes?

I don't have a Cy Young vote this year. I have MVP.

I'd say it would be pretty tough to slip either guy on the top 5 for Cy with Felix, Sale, Lester, Kluber, Iwakuma, etc.

EDIT: I'd add that I actually think Cy Young is the easiest of the 3 player awards to vote for. Rookie is tough because you have pitchers and hitters and guys who spent parts of the season up. MVP is tough because you have to figure out how to factor in defense and baserunning as well as figure out what "valuable" means. (I happen to think it means "best," but a lot of people don't.)

Cy Young, on the other hand, is relatively easy: Who's the best pitcher? And there are plenty of good numbers for evaluating pitching. I happen to think ERA+ is a pretty good, quick and dirty, way to stack them up.

<PRE>                          

Rk               Name ERA+

1          ChrisSale*  195

2      FelixHernandez  172

3          JonLester*  157

4         CoreyKluber  150

5     GarrettRichards  138

6      DallasKeuchel*  131

7        JamesShields  127

8        RickPorcello  124

9         MaxScherzer  123

10     YordanoVentura  122

11         DrewSmyly*  121

12      JoseQuintana*  118

13          SonnyGray  117

14        DavidPrice*  117

15       JasonVargas*  117

16       ChrisTillman  116

17       MarkBuehrle*  115

18       ScottKazmir*  112

19         PhilHughes  111

20         ChrisYoung  111

21     HisashiIwakuma  108

22       Wei-YinChen*  106

23        ChrisArcher  105

24        JeredWeaver  103

25         R.A.Dickey  102

26          BudNorris  102

27       HirokiKuroda  101

LgAvg per 180 IP  100

28       ScottFeldman   99

29       RoenisElias*   97

30      JeremyGuthrie   92

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

<More derision towards the OP for having a 20th century view on awards and statistics/>

Well, I mean, Weaver has absolutely 0 chance at winning the Cy Young award. I'd say he has 0 chance of even finishing in the top 5. Maybe 10-15 years ago he would have gotten some votes. Even if we use other "outdated" stats, he's not even in the top 10. 21st in ERA, 17th in WHIP, 17th in K's. 20th in WAR (lol). 23rd in K/BB ratio. 23rd in K/9. He's 7th in IP and 1st in Wins. That's it. The derision is kind of warranted.

Well, I mean, Weaver has absolutely 0 chance at winning the Cy Young award. I'd say he has 0 chance of even finishing in the top 5. Maybe 10-15 years ago he would have gotten some votes. Even if we use other "outdated" stats, he's not even in the top 10. 21st in ERA, 17th in WHIP, 17th in K's. 20th in WAR (lol). 23rd in K/BB ratio. 23rd in K/9. He's 7th in IP and 1st in Wins. That's it. The derision is kind of warranted.

Yeah, I get it. I'm just bitter because I wanted to deride him but didn't get a chance until there was already a pile-up, which I find to be in poor taste.

On a side note, I do think there is more than a 0% chance that he's in the top 5 because some of the voters are still living in the past and 18-19 wins is still sexy in their minds. But I totally agree - Jered isn't even a top 10 AL pitcher at this point, maybe top 20.