• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Friday Night Shenanigans

Going to give this one about a 7 out of 10 (thus far).

Just returned from taking my friend home.  We call him Tiny Rob.  He had a bizarro stroke some years ago and can't drive.  So I made plans with him to pick him up at his folk's house and grab some food to go and hang out at my joint.

He's a funny guy.  Never was the smartest man in the room.  He once refered to the star of David as a 'jewish cross,' for example.  He also once asked me if I wanted to go look at 'used antiques' with him. 

Recently, he told me that when he had his car, he decided to save some money and detail the car himself.  So to really clean the seats, he decided to take the entire drivers' seat out.  When he was finished cleaning the seat, he went to go to the car wash, but the seat was still too damp so he drove to the car wash without the seat, kind of kneeling in the car.   I don't know how he didn't get in an accident.

Anyways, Tiny Rob and I walked into a pizza place and it was riddled with kids.  Just brutal.  But we used to go there before Rob's stroke, so I thought it would be fun so we stuck with it.  We got the pizza to go.  Tiny Rob got pepperoni.  DR got sausage.  Good.

Then, our friend Dave came over and said he need to go jam with a band for 15 minutes and could we join him.  Dave has a 9:30pm appointment to play D&D so he's really trying to get his jam session appearance over with, but he also really wants to play his guitar.  We all went over to the jam session and Dave played guitar (Gibson SG) while I sang backing vocals on "Homicide" by 999.  I also did backing on "Mongoloid" by Devo, which wasn't really a challenge.  I took the lead on Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me."

So that was pretty fun.  Tiny Rob was getting tired and wanted to go home.  So we bailed.  Dave drove us back to my house and told us he had to go to another jam session a street over.  Hard to believe his wife puts up with all this. 

Trying to decide which Miami Vice to watch tonight.  Maybe "Red Tape," a third season number.

You make good points, and your summary sounds better than mine.  I didn't go higher than 7 because we weren't able to score that bindle of coke.

Was this a flashback to the 80's post?

DR picking tiny rob up at his parents house, getting pizza, jam session with the band, D&D, and Miami Vice.

That night is a minimum 9/10.

Tiny Rob never worked in post-production.  That would be way too much pressure for him.  And he has the attention span of Ervin Santana in a batting cage.

He trained to be a hair cutter (people in the trade prefer hair 'stylist') and he has a little salon his folks set up for him in Laguna on PCH (he's not gay, but should have been).  Because of his stroke, his peripheral vision is a little messed up, so most of his customers, or 'client's, as 'stylists' call them, are first-timers.  Usually tourists in town for a wedding or what have you.  Not alot of repeat 'clients' here except for some 80 year old dude who looks like Oscar Goldman who complains about lawyers on every visit. 

Rob offers to cut my hair on occasion, so I pop by and he makes me a coffee.  It's sort of a black people's hair cut in that I only have him trim about a centimeter in places.  Then, I go to a Supercuts or Fantastic Sams (get them mixed up) where it's all Vietnamese chicks.  It's the greatest experience ever for a haircut.  They don't talk to you, you don't have to make any small talk with them and you're out of there in about 10 - 15 minutes.  They're trying to Americanize, so some of them wear these low-cut Abercrombie tops made for 14 year old American girls along with tight capris.  Their shoes are usually 'come love me long time' pumps.

It's really something when a pasty white guy with no swagger (most everyone reading this right now, self included) waits to get his hair cut by his #1 charlie chick.  I was in there once when a dude who looked like Napolean Dynamite's brother tried to give 'his' Vietnamese Abercrombie Fun Time haircutter chick a hug.  Perhaps the most awkward moment I've ever witnessed and that includes the time I took a dump at the office late night and the cleaning crew was waiting outside the bathroom door.

I have heard people before refer to the star of David as the Jewish cross. My wife looks at me like, really?

Did Tiny Rob ever work in Post Production?

He had a bizarro stroke some years ago and can't drive.

but the seat was still too damp so he drove to the car wash without the seat, 

This confused me.

I found the complete series of Miami Vice on Hulu+ and seriously am contemplating running through it all.

Been going to the same hair chick for about 6-7 years. I get my haircut about every month or month and a half and the main chick that owns the place always says hello to me and either asks or tries to talk about a client of hers that I went on a date with many years ago. She always does it in that way of making small talk but like the date happened recently. Ironically, saw the chick recently bartending/serving at a bar and grill. We both obviously did the thing of acting like we never knew each other while she asked what I wanted or if my food was ok.

Which part confused you?  The bit about Tiny driving to the car wash without the driver's seat?  Welcome to Tiny Rob's world. 

Miami Vice will look dated to a lot of people, but especially with the pilot, the story and characters hold up very well.  One thing to keep in mind while watching is that there was nothing like it on tv at the time.  We take this sort of production value on tv for granted these days.  Watch the first (pilot) episode and go from there.  The pilot is called "Brother's Keeper" whereupon Tubbs finds his way to Miami.  You will see Jimmy Smits in the Act 1.  The second episode, "Heart of Darkness" is also very, very solid.  Ed O'Neil as a sort of good cop/bad cop.

The series looses some steam after the third season, so if you think you're going to watch all 111 episodes, focus on the the first two seasons for sure.

How did the bartender look?

Did you put any money on Flashback, Mark?  He took second, not bad.

No.  Was looking more for the win.  Goldencents is the killer.  I put money on him and he looks like a glue horse.  I don't put money on him, and he looks like Secretariat.  

did you and the wife and kid have fun?  And did you try any of the food trucks?

Which part confused you? The bit about Tiny driving to the car wash without the driver's seat? Welcome to Tiny Rob's world.

Miami Vice will look dated to a lot of people, but especially with the pilot, the story and characters hold up very well. One thing to keep in mind while watching is that there was nothing like it on tv at the time. We take this sort of production value on tv for granted these days. Watch the first (pilot) episode and go from there. The pilot is called "Brother's Keeper" whereupon Tubbs finds his way to Miami. You will see Jimmy Smits in the Act 1. The second episode, "Heart of Darkness" is also very, very solid. Ed O'Neil as a sort of good cop/bad cop.

The series looses some steam after the third season, so if you think you're going to watch all 111 episodes, focus on the the first two seasons for sure.

How did the bartender look?

No, how you said he couldn't drive because of a stroke but then mention he drove to a car wash. Driving without the seat would be legit.

I remember the show as a kid, but in the same familiarity as 21 Jump Street. I watched a random episode a while back during the day on FX. I know what you mean about the age of the show. But I already have the context. It sure was a big deal when I was a kid. 5 seasons, right?

She was probably more cute than hot. But still very attractive to where random dudes would always comment on her pics. We only went out once courtesy of her contacting me on MySpace. It wasn't a bad date by any means and think there was intention to go out again but our schedules never meshed. My fondest memory would be when she randomly texted me but I was just starting to date someone and she did some sort of awkward plea for us to date and make things right (she didn't do anything wrong, but apparently thought us not dating was her fault) and I just felt kind of bad for her.

No.  Was looking more for the win.  Goldencents is the killer.  I put money on him and he looks like a glue horse.  I don't put money on him, and he looks like Secretariat.  

did you and the wife and kid have fun?  And did you try any of the food trucks?

We had fun.  Watching the races was fun but I would imagine it is a lot more fun with money on the horse.

We did eat at one of the food trucks before the first race.  It was pretty good.  I think it was called Potato Tornado.  Based out of Anaheim actually.  I think we might go back this coming weekend because they are going to be doing pony rides and stuff that Abby would love.