• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Velocity returning for Weave?

Angel Oracle

In the last few outings I have noticed more 91 mph pitches and at least one 92 mph. While he isn't hitting these numbers consistently, it is a good sign I know he mentioned that he had done some core and arm strenthening work over the offseason. It seems to be paying dividends. The thing is, he pitches smart, has movement, and that circle change moves in a nasty way. He was dominant last night.

One thing I never understood on pitch trackers is how a 2D image measures a theoretical 3D area. If the pitch catches the front of said 3D area, then dips out, does pitch track count that as out of the zone?

I just assumed they pick one part of the plate and use that for every pitch track, for example, the front line of the plate.

So no, I don't think it would count as out of the zone.

Here's the chart you want:

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=4235&position=P&pitch=FA

Just eyeballing it, it looks like last night was his fastest average velocity (the little green dots) since 2012. His overall fastball velocity is still down a bit from last year, 86.5 to 86.1, but last night is encouraging. I wonder what he was doing differently? It reminds me of how good Weaver was, and can be if he's got a few more MPH on his heat.

Watching Weaver deal like he did Saturday night is one of my favorite things in baseball, without question.  When he's got everything working - he's just flat out fun to watch.  The fact that he no longer throws real hard makes it all the more enjoyable for me.