• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Team MVP?

Inside Pitch

I think Trout leads the team in almost every offensive category so I'll go with him as team MVP.

Trout leads the league in RBI, Runs Scored and Total Bases. 

Kendrick leads the team in batting average and Aybar leads the team in stolen bases but Trout is a close second in both those cases.

Edited by ScottLux

Kendrick and Aybar are both incredibly streaky players.

Kendrick has a .928 OPS in his last 21 games while hitting .360.

He had a .561 OPS in the 21 games before this streak.

So with that being said, I wouldn't really lump them as team MVPs because you can't really count on them.

Don't get me wrong, they are still very valuable because they solidify this team's offense at the bottom end of the order.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kendrick and Aybar hit at the top of the order for most teams.

The Angels don't have to do that.

My team MVPs would be

1.Trout(obviously)

2.Kole

3.Shoemaker

4.The collective effort of the pen

Edited by Poozy

Too much love for Shoemaker and not enough for Richards in this thread. Both have exceded expectations by a ton this year. However Richards has 5 more starts, 40 more innings, and was extremely important to keeping the angels in the race until he went down.

Good point. Completely forgot about RIchards lol..

Dude was a cy young candidate and has pitched a lot more than Shoe.

Edited by Poozy

Efren Navarro, because of that hit he got back earlier in the season that put runs on the board.

Seriously, though, it really depends upon how you define "MVP." I've still got to say that it should go to the player who has the most impact through the course of the year on how many games the team wins--in other words, the best player--and that's clearly Trout, and by a long-shot.

On the other hand, if you want to talk about the player that has been the biggest surprise help, the grace of God if you will, then I'd vote for Shoemaker. But his impact on the win-loss record isn't as significant as Trout's (and I'm not just talking WAR).

Yeah it should be MVP not named Trout

Kendrick and Aybar are both incredibly streaky players.

Kendrick has a .928 OPS in his last 21 games while hitting .360.

He had a .561 OPS in the 21 games before this streak.

So with that being said, I wouldn't really lump them as team MVPs because you can't really count on them.

Don't get me wrong, they are still very valuable because they solidify this team's offense at the bottom end of the order.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kendrick and Aybar hit at the top of the order for most teams.

The Angels don't have to do that.

My team MVPs would be

1.Trout(obviously)

2.Kole

3.Shoemaker

4.The collective effort of the pen

I would add GRich and Pujols to that list.

GRich helped to get the games to the pen in good shape.

Pujols has regained most of his 2012 form at the plate, and has excelled defensively.

I don't like to pick MVPs for baseball since the sport relies on team cohesion as a whole rather than individual accomplishments.

However, I believe that this team would be unrecognizable without the contributions of Albert Pujols. He has had an excellent season, and he's delivered important hits at crucial moments (I.e: HR in 19th inning vs BOS). I also think he's worthy of a Gold Glove this season.

I don't like to pick MVPs for baseball since the sport relies on team cohesion as a whole rather than individual accomplishments.

However, I believe that this team would be unrecognizable without the contributions of Albert Pujols. He has had an excellent season, and he's delivered important hits at crucial moments (I.e: HR in 19th inning vs BOS). I also think he's worthy of a Gold Glove this season.

Pujols is considered the favorite for comeback player of the year

Pujols is considered the favorite for comeback player of the year

He deserves it.

He's been remarkably consistent all year long. I can't think of a noteworthy Pujols slump this season aside from that week he had some lump on his groin. *knock on wood*

Everyone in the lineup has had long slumps—even Trout, and Albert has lifted the team through those periods.

If we're looking at fWAR(flawed but a valuable tool to use to evaluate a player) 

1.Trout-6.9 WAR

2.Richards-4.4 WAR

3.Calhoun, Aybar, Kendrick-3.7 WAR

4.Pujols-3.5 WAR

I think I agree with fangraphs on this one. Calhoun has been invaluable at the leadoff spot, so maybe rank him ahead of richards.

Kendrick and Aybar a virtual tie at number 4.

Shoemaker just misses out on the top 5 because he didn't really start full time till mid july.

*disclaimer: Calhoun has played 30 less games than Aybar, Kendrick and Pujols

Edited by Poozy

How about giving Iannetta some love for once?

I feel like no one is willing to talk about this dude unless he ****s up. 

The Pen and SP has been great and I think Iannetta deserves some credit for that since he seems to get a lot of the blame when they suck.

He has a 3.0 fWAR which ranks 8th out of 28 catchers with a min of 300 PA.