• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're still behind Oakland

Taylor

i lolz at the idea that luck has any significant power in a 162 game season.  Over that many games, things settle exactly as they should.  The stat heads and their notions have value, but they can also figure out a way to be contrarian in any situation. All teams need breaks here and there, I would argue that Oakland has got plenty of breaks squeezing every ounce of productivity out of a multitude of mediocre players over the past 2 and half years.  Congrats to them for making it happen, but if we're lucky, they sure as shit are as well.

Edited by UndertheHalo

on MLB tonight they were talking about how Donaldson could win a gold glove this year and have the highest amount of errors ever for a person to win a GG. I'd consider the GG even more of a joke if he did end up getting one.

If voters are factoring in errors above actual defensive ability then the gold glove is a joke.

It's better to be lucky than good I guess.

And for the record, losing Richards and Skaggs is hardly what I would consider luck. Not to mention no permanent DH or lefty in the pen and everyone already forgot about Mulder.

Grilli, Jepsen, Morin, Smith. Big spot in a game VS a left handed bat, which of these would you want Thatcher pitching instead of? Some of the Angels' best pens in recent memory did not feature a lefty and the current pen is right there with any of them. Personally I would rather see Thatcher left off the playoff roster.

on MLB tonight they were talking about how Donaldson could win a gold glove this year and have the highest amount of errors ever for a person to win a GG. I'd consider the GG even more of a joke if he did end up getting one. 

Errors don't inherently mean bad defense. Oftentimes players with greater range commit more errors because they get to more balls, including ones that are hard to play.

This isn't to say that errors are meaningless or that all players with good range commit more errors. Chase Headley and Josh Donaldson have similar range, but whereas Donaldson has committed 22 errors, Headley has committed 8. But reducing defense to errors and fielding percentage is like reducing hitting to Batting Average - it is important, but a very narrow slice (there's a huge difference between a player who bats .300 and walks 80 times a year and slugs .500, vs. one who walks 25 times a year and slugs .400).

Edited by Angelsjunky

personally i still think the As were the luckiest team in baseball for over 2 years.
every move worked, every platoon produced, every call up produced.. in fact is most of these cases they over produced or exceeded expectations.
has any other team ever had a run like that?

What all this tells me is that as has always been the case, the stats are valuable, and are embedded in the game forever at this point, but the game is still played on the field.

The A's broke thier own mold this season, and are now paying for it when they should have been better... what does this tell us?

And Trout is still behind Donaldson on best WAR for a position player....

The consensus on the boards now is that WAR is not a good stat because it no longer supports what we want to hear. 

The consensus on the boards now is that WAR is not a good stat because it no longer supports what we want to hear. 

lol, the consensus from almost everywhere is that WAR is a nice base stat that has flaws.

there are far too many examples of players being much higher than they should be for it to be taken as gospel at this point... whether they are anomalies or failures in defensive stat measurements, WAR has been exposed and needs to be adjusted to be taken seriously.

Jonathan Lucroy has the 6th best WAR in MLB

Juan Lagares is 12th

Steve Pierce 16th...

All of these ahead of Abreu or Victo Martinez for example?

This screams there is something wrong in the weightings, and devalues the stat as anything more than a guideline.

Errors don't inherently mean bad defense. Oftentimes players with greater range commit more errors because they get to more balls, including ones that are hard to play.

This isn't to say that errors are meaningless or that all players with good range commit more errors. Chase Headley and Josh Donaldson have similar range, but whereas Donaldson has committed 22 errors, Headley has committed 8. But reducing defense to errors and fielding percentage is like reducing hitting to Batting Average - it is important, but a very narrow slice (there's a huge difference between a player who bats .300 and walks 80 times a year and slugs .500, vs. one who walks 25 times a year and slugs .400).

It depends on the error. Some errors turn into plays much worse than the hit might have been. For example, a bad catch leads to a bad throw and then before you know it instead of a single all of the baserunners have scored.

Agreed.  I'm grossly oversimplifying here but assuming Donaldson's crazy range/reactions/fielding ability get him to 50 balls that would have been hits against another third baseman and he makes errors on 15 plays that a normal third baseman would have made, he's still coming out on top.  And that's discounting that it's possible that some of his "errors" might have been clean hits or at least plays that other fielders would have had a more "difficult" play on, turning it into a hit.  For example, Donaldson or Headley might get a great jump and quick reaction and then make a mistake on a play that would have been a diving attempt on a fielder like Freese.  Against Headley/Donaldson it's an "error" since they make it to the ball and against Freese it isn't because it was a diving attempt - on the same ball.  I doubt this happens frequently but it's certainly possible that 1 or 2 of the errors are situations like this.

Not saying that range is everything or that his errors don't matter but if I've got some theoretical fielder that makes it to 100 more ground balls than Freese while making 50 more errors I'd take that guy over Freese any day of the week.  Mathematically he's still making a higher percentage of the plays.

lol, the consensus from almost everywhere is that WAR is a nice base stat that has flaws.

there are far too many examples of players being much higher than they should be for it to be taken as gospel at this point... whether they are anomalies or failures in defensive stat measurements, WAR has been exposed and needs to be adjusted to be taken seriously.

Jonathan Lucroy has the 6th best WAR in MLB

Juan Lagares is 12th

Steve Pierce 16th...

All of these ahead of Abreu or Victo Martinez for example?

This screams there is something wrong in the weightings, and devalues the stat as anything more than a guideline.

I'm not a stat guy but I would assume that it has to do with positions. So Lucroy may not put up better numbers than Abreu, but there is a bigger gap between Lucroy and the average catcher than Abreu and other first basemen. I'm not defending the stat just thought I would add this. I don't have a problem with it as far as offense goes, I do think the defense is questionable. By the way, Freese has a 2 WAR offensively, man 3rd base sucks around MLB right now.