• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick

mtangelsfan

His WAR argues differently.  Regardless he has been solid for the team and is a key part of it.

WAR combines hitting, baserunning, and fielding - my post was focusing on hitting. Anyhow, compare his games played, fWAR, and wRC+ from the last four years:

2011: 140 games, 5.7, 123

2012: 147 games, 3.1, 103

2013: 122 games, 2.7, 117

2014: 140 games, 3.6, 112

2011 was clearly his best year. This year has a slight edge over 2012 and 2013, but not much when you adjust for games played in 2013 and is actually slightly lesser in terms of offense.

If you're talking about Baseball Reference, 2014 (4.4) is closing in on 2011 (4.6) but that's partially due to superior defensive numbers, which is where fWAR really disagrees. Regardless, my point is simply that his offense hasn't improved and is actually slightly worse than last year and a step down from 2011.

I'm not complaining, mind you, just disagreeing with the sentiment that 2014 is somehow a big step forward for him when the numbers clearly show that it is very much in line with his level from the last few years.

I like Howie a lot but if I could get either a Trumbo like package or some teams legitimate 3rd base prospect that is major league ready I pull the trigger

Either that, or wait a year when either Yarbrough or even Sherman Johnson could be ready to take over 2B. 

Although Johnson might be a decent long term option at 3B.

It's not his best season, but offensively he's pretty much on par with his career, though with less double plays, which is nice.  Defensively, he's so much better than he's been in the past 3 years. All in all, I'm quite pleased with Howie Kendrick.  

Before, I believed he'd be traded for pitching and the Angels would have Green, Yarbrough or Lindsey replace him.  Now, he's just doing too many little things right for a trade to even be an option.  He's exactly what the team needs right now.