• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels ain't won nothing thus far! The wary thread.

DowningRules

This is a public service announcement from an Angel fan who -- like so many others here -- has lived through way too much heartbreak with the Angels.  From '79 to "one more game 'til the World Series" in 1982, to "one more strike 'til the World Series" in 1986.  And of course, the one game tie-breaker in 1995.

I've lived through Joe Rudi's broken hand, Lyman Bostock's murder, Mo Vaughn's girth/dugout two-step, Terry Collins, Adam Riggs, and Bruce Bochte.  And Don Baylor's MVP season in '79 only to return in 2014 to eat it on the first pitch.  And most recently, as if to remind us we are Angels fans, I watched Garret Richards go down (and it happened in Boston for crying outs!).

I am wary of gloating about the Angels present record.  I am wary of thinking they're a shoe-in for the playoffs.  I am wary of the Angels performing well IF they do make the playoffs (who remembers the M's 116 win season with the fancy flag flying in right field at Safeco?)  And who else remembers how the Ms and those 116 wins did in the playoffs?

I am wary of kicking the A's while they're down (except Kazmir who deserves an ocean of bad luck for pissing away the hours while with the Angels).  

I am wary of peaking at the wrong time, if that is such a thing.  I am wary of anything other than playing OGAAT.

The Angels haven't won the west.  They haven't clinched even a wild card spot.  Not that I'm not going to get down with the creative countdown thread, but I am just plain wary.  

There's enough baseball left for the Angels to remind us how hard it is for a team to reach the post-season, then get through even the first round.  And the Angels will make you wary of pre-mature Angel-aculation.  

Let's consider this before we piss off the Baseball gods too much.  These gods seem to have a standing reservation at the Big A, but luckily, have been recently busy with Texas and especially Oakland.  I worry that the Baseball gods will conclude their long road trip in Anaheim in October.  They make me wary.

The playoffs are not a crap shoot. That phrase was an excuse Beane has made for his teams abysmal performance in the playoffs. Please do not insult the teams that found a way to win and move on.

Meh. I'll take an entire 162 game season sample size over losing one/two games that decide a 5-7 game series. Any great team can be upset by an overall inferior team any given night, you need to take variables like getting hot at the right time/matchups/injuries into consideration as well.

I think we are all aware the Angels have not won anything yet... as for the "baseball gods"... I don''t believe in any of that, so I will continue to enjoy the ride and hope for the best.

I get a little less nervous with each victory

This is a public service announcement from an Angel fan who -- like so many others here -- has lived through way too much heartbreak with the Angels.  From '79 to "one more game 'til the World Series" in 1982, to "one more strike 'til the World Series" in 1986.  And of course, the one game tie-breaker in 1995.

I've lived through Joe Rudi's broken hand, Lyman Bostock's murder, Mo Vaughn's girth/dugout two-step, Terry Collins, Adam Riggs, and Bruce Bochte.  And Don Baylor's MVP season in '79 only to return in 2014 to eat it on the first pitch.  And most recently, as if to remind us we are Angels fans, I watched Garret Richards go down (and it happened in Boston for crying outs!).

I am wary of gloating about the Angels present record.  I am wary of thinking they're a shoe-in for the playoffs.  I am wary of the Angels performing well IF they do make the playoffs (who remembers the M's 116 win season with the fancy flag flying in right field at Safeco?)  And who else remembers how the Ms and those 116 wins did in the playoffs?

I am wary of kicking the A's while they're down (except Kazmir who deserves an ocean of bad luck for pissing away the hours while with the Angels).  

I am wary of peaking at the wrong time, if that is such a thing.  I am wary of anything other than playing OGAAT.

The Angels haven't won the west.  They haven't clinched even a wild card spot.  Not that I'm not going to get down with the creative countdown thread, but I am just plain wary.  

There's enough baseball left for the Angels to remind us how hard it is for a team to reach the post-season, then get through even the first round.  And the Angels will make you wary of pre-mature Angel-aculation.  

Let's consider this before we piss off the Baseball gods too much.  These gods seem to have a standing reservation at the Big A, but luckily, have been recently busy with Texas and especially Oakland.  I worry that the Baseball gods will conclude their long road trip in Anaheim in October.  They make me wary.

As someone said in another thread, I can't remember where, do you really think anything we say or post here has even an iota of effect on this pennant race?  No one is going to place a hex on this team, or any other team for that matter.  They will win, or lose, in spite of anything posted here.  We only observe what is happening, there is no cause and effect in play.

Actually I consider the Angels chances of winning it all to be remote as the starting pitching is too fragile.  One more injury to either Weaver, Shoemaker, Santiago, or Wilson would likely ruin everything.  In the meantime it's full steam ahead - I intend to enjoy it as best as I can.

Edited by tomsred

Respecting history is sometimes lost on the youth.  I too endured all that you have mentioned, and I too know that nothing is a sure thing.

I'm guessing I've been following the team longer than DR or most fans that post on here.  If there was something to actually learn from how fans cheer for their team then I would learn it, but there just isn't.  

I've experienced all of that as well.  I just understand there is no such thing as "baseball gods" and that no matter how happy or miserable I may be it will not change how the team is playing.  So if they are losing, I'll be pissed.  If they are winning, I'm going to be happy.

*rant on why you shouldn't be happy we're winning*

Agree, except for the winning the west part.  That's pretty much a lock.  7 games back with 20 to go.  14 before we play the Oaks.  If we win just 6 and they lose 6 we are 5 up with six to go.  One win in Oakland and we are done.  

As for the playoffs, I will be a rootin', but with our pitching I am going to be satisfied with just getting there, after 5 years-though still disappointed, we have lost with better pitching before.