• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Magic Number Thread

JoJo26

fan_since79 -- '64 Phillies -- another Gene Mauch story.

as for the '64 Phillies -- just fyi -- was recently over in Bakersfield and stopped in a the famous Luigi's for lunch.

they have some great sports photos on the wall of the restaurant and a few very prominent photos of Bakersfield High product, Johnny Callison.......

that goes back a ways.........you won't be disappointed with the food and cold refreshments at Luigi's.

Thanks for that tip on Luigi's. I'll try it next time I'm up there.

Callison was my hero as a kid in Philly, along with Jim Bunning and Chris Short, the two pitchers who were the aces of that 1964 team.

Mauch overused them down the stretch as he panicked during that losing streak. It was a bitter disappointment for a ten-year old baseball fanatic.

So if the Angels go 11-10 the rest of the way they will end up with 97 wins. More importantly the A's would have to go 17-4 to tie us. There's a better chance the A's go 4-17 down the stretch than 17-4.

I was thinking about the same thing earlier.  Even if they go 10-11 Oakland would have to go 16-5.  Either way the goin is good.

I think back to 95 when I started hanging a magic# banner at the ballpark. Then the Angels went on a road trip and when they came back the number had only dropped by like 2. Well we all know how that ended.

And let us not forget that we still have a 3 game set in OAK that could tighten this up in a hurry if we were to lose a couple games off of our lead before then.

I think back to 95 when I started hanging a magic# banner at the ballpark. Then the Angels went on a road trip and when they came back the number had only dropped by like 2. Well we all know how that ended.

And let us not forget that we still have a 3 game set in OAK that could tighten this up in a hurry if we were to lose a couple games off of our lead before then.

In 1995 we had two different 9-game losing streaks near the end of the season which absolutely killed us. I don't see anything like that happening again, no way.

That being said, it's still best to take it OGAAT. Oakland's poor play has been a surprise and has definitely helped. Our comeback win last night after their dramatic 9th-inning win had to sting a little. Our offense seems to be waking up just in time, and that's a relief.

Of course not, but he was castigating me for not thinking positively all the time about this team, which has a long history of collapses.

LOL.... "castigating"....  hardly.   I made the connection between your apparent lasting trauma regarding the 1964 Phillies and your tendency to predict doom and gloom at every turn -- you're the one that openly stated he get's scared this time of year in some other thread..  At no point did I ask you to be positive all the time.  But hey, straw men are fun.

Breathe dude..  Nobody is out to get you.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Of course not, but he was castigating me for not thinking positively all the time about this team, which has a long history of collapses.

Your first post on here was to express being uncomfortable with the magic number talk.  Honestly, who gives a crap if some fans are even over confident?