• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angelsjunky

Whether he was or wasn't is irrelevant. Offense was prevalent back then. Nowadays, not so much. You can't compare different eras and environments without context. It doesn't work like that.

There are only 10 players (minimum 400 PAs) this year with an OPS over .880. In 2004 (minimum 400 PAs)? 40 players.

It's not the same.

Edited by Angels

Whether he was or wasn't is irrelevant. Offense was prevalent back then. Nowadays, not so much. You can't compare different eras and environments without context. It doesn't work like that.

There are only 10 players (minimum 400 PAs) this year with an OPS over .880. In 2004 (minimum 400 PAs)? 40 players.

It's not the same.

So what era was Miguel Cabrera playing in last season when he hit .348 / 44hrs / 137rbi's / 1.078ops? My point is that the MVP award will be watered down this season.

Agreed. One can argue that he was far and away the best player in baseball back then. As in not even close.

This year, not so much. But I still don't see anyone more deserving (at the moment) of the MVP than Trout. And even with his numbers down across the board, he's still arguably having the best overall season in baseball (compared with position players).

Edited by Angels

Agreed. One can argue that he was far and away the best player in baseball back then. As in not even close.

This year, not so much. But I still don't see anyone more deserving (at the moment) of the MVP than Trout. And even with his numbers down across the board, he's still arguably having the best overall season in baseball (compared with position players).

After watching Miggy hit last two seasons it's very difficult to say that Trout is having a monster MVP type season this year. Like I said, the season is not over.

How's Miggy doing this season?

Actually? Not that bad or that far off from Trout except for the home run numbers. This a real down year for him and yet he is one good month of September from catching Trout in OPS and RBI. Neither player right now is really putting in an MVP season compared to previous seasons, neither are leading the AL in the basic offensive categories.

Cabrera .308/.369/.502/.870 HR19 RBI 94

Trout  .286/.369/.550/.919 HR 31 RBI 100

Meanwhile Victor Martinez is plunking along putting up good numbers (.332/.404/.568/.972) and being ignored.

A-Rod 2003: 151 wRC+

Trout 2014: 161 wRC+

A-Rod only had two seasons where he had a wRC+ of 161 or higher (2005 and 2007)

When are people going to realize that offense is much, much harder to come by nowadays?

This

I love me some altuve. Guys like him are a lot of fun to watch (when hes not doing it to us). But hes got no power. Not daying he needs it...but if the argument is he has trout beat because of his average....

Abreu? Dudes a beast. But aside from aberage theyve (he and trout) have been about the same. Factor in trout isnt a DH, but plays one of the more important positions (and can run).....

Seriously, yes trouts struggled with contact this year....thats it. Everything else has been right where its always been (except sb's obviously). But no one else is blowing him away without flaws of their own....

.607  Team winning percentage.
im a lot more worried about that number than any one player on it... even Trout.
i love that this team is doing what its doing with him being human, Hamilton being a ghost, and most of the so-called power bats being less than powerful.
If any of those guys gets hot this team goes from strong to scary in a hurry.