• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols and Retirement

Biergott

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/09/02/albert-pujols-los-angeles-angels-oakland-athletics

He still maintains he won't milk every possible dollar.   Kinda cool to see the .282 avg since his family moved out.  And it does seems like he's actually having fun this year, especially his antics with Aybar.

"Dude I'm set."

Yeah he is, having earned $155 million over the course of his career so far. How much more does a person need? That money will keep his extended family wealthy for generations.

That said, he has almost another $200M left on his contract so it is hard to imagine him turning that down. From what he says, though, if he drops too far below his current "pretty good but not great" level, I could see him playing another 3-4 of those and then leaving a few years unplayed. Given his pride--and the fact that he's said this a couple times--I don't see him playing year after year hitting .240 with 15 HR. I think if he dips too far below .270, 25 HR he'll call it quits.

It would take a huge drop off and move down in the batting order to cause him to think of walking away. That being said, if he is slashing .240/.290/.400/.690 in three or four years, perhaps his pride will cause him to walk away.

It would really be nice if he just improved his strike zone command to pre-2012 levels so that we wouldn't even want to be talking about him retiring.

I stated this in the offseason and I still believe it.  The guy is very proud and he has every right to feel that way.  He was the greatest player in the game from the time Barroid retired until MCab was getting triple crowns and Trout emerged onto the scene.

He does not want his legacy to be tarnished.  He will walk away if he feels he cannot be the player he knows he can.  

I could be wrong but I think he would do it.  

This is very encouraging as a fan. I will take him at his word that he will walk away if he becomes just a guy. My gut tells me that he will walk away, but I believe it will still end up being a year or two too late. For example if next year he drops down to that .240 hitter with 15 homers and a sub .300 OBP he would still play the following year to see if it was a fluke or not. That is obviously my belief and not based on anything other than speculation.

Edited by Stradling

He has $100 million in a personal services contract to fall back on as a retirement package. I don't think he will hang around to be booed should his production fall off the edge.

I think you added a zero. There is no way Arte or anyone else is paying him $100 in a personal service contract.

His ceiling seems to be an .800 OPS or somewhere in that range.  Currently hes sitting at .796 and hovering around .800 for a while now.  He will most likely end up hitting 25 hrs and driving in over 100.  But still for a guy hitting 3rd behind Trout and Calhoun, we should expect better production.  I doubt he ever reaches anything close to a .900 OPS in an Angels uniform, which would be pretty sad considering the amount of money hes making.  

However if he has a good postseason run and brings a championship here, the contract was worth it regardless of his OPS the next 8 years.

This is very incouraging as a fan. I will take him at his word that he will walk away if he becomes just a guy. My gut tells me that he will walk away, but I believe it will still end up being a year or two too late. For example if next year he drops down to that .240 hitter with 15 homers and a sub .300 OBP he would still play the following year to see if it was a fluke or not. That is obviously my belief and not based on anything other than speculation.

+1