• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seriously, the dilemma of CJ

ghoetke

early in the season when CJ was still pitching fine but had had a couple of his less stellar starts (i think it was early june) I was talking to a client at work about my Halos pitching staff. This particular man is a retired pitcher who has two World Series rings and he sort of grimaced when I brought up CJ and said "well... i'm not sold on that guy. We'll see." Apparently he was smart and I was naive because when quoted CJ's stats from last season he said, "well maybe i'm wrong but I'm not convinced of his dependability." LOL. He wasn't wrong. Apparently real pitchers can spot the fakes.

If we still had Richards we could afford CJ but we really really can't now. it sucks that he's all we have and even if we had depth, Sosh would start him anyway to show him he believes in him. 

This is a venting thread right? I'm not going to be accused of being negative? 

We only have 3 starters. Two are unknowns. This is a potentially serious problem over the next several weeks.

It's not "potentially" a serious problem, it's a serious problem. It's survivable though. If Shoe, Weave and Hector can get quality starts in every game and the offense can pick up those other 2 spots enough to keep us playing .500 we'll be ok. It won't be fun but it will be enough to get us TO the postseason. Our offense is really going to have to man up though- our big 2,3,4 can't keep going 0-for every other game.

I'm also going to be optimistic and say that CJ probably won't be THIS bad every one of his starts.

Edited by CJ Wilson's Necklaces

Nibs?

Or stretch out Rasmus and make him one of the four post-season starters?

Guy has been nails all season in the pen and has stretched to some 50 pitches each of his past two games.

65, then 75, then 85, then 90 pitches in his 4 starts? By the post-season, potentially 90-100 pitches?

Send Nibs back to his pre-2010 role, the pen.

Maybe he can contribute more in October that way?

Rasmus hits 95-96, has 4 different pitches, and has been >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nibs since June.

NTC is reduced to 8 teams after this season, if an opportunity were to present itself, I would seriously consider it. Opens up another hole though. This team is a starter short now, they trade CJ and they'll need another solid arm. Just get two #3 types, no Scherzer or Lester, nothing too flashy is needed. 

Im as worried about the guy as anyone. But im more interested in what the hell is wrong with him. Hes probably been our most reliable starter since we got him (until now obviously).

Sans injury, what would make him drop totally off a table like that? No confidance?....i guess....but hes a vet. What would suddenly be going on thats messing him up?

Fire butcher

In the division series you only need 3 starters. In the LCS and World Series you need 4 but the No 4 starts only once in each series. There are also enough off days that your bullpen will be fresh enough so you can just yank him after 2-3 innings.

The Giants won the World Series with Jonathan Sanchez as their No 4. He was very much like CJ.

Of course Weaver-Shoemaker-Santiago are not Lincecum-Cain-Bumgarner either.

In the division series you only need 3 starters. In the LCS and World Series you need 4 but the No 4 starts only once in each series. There are also enough off days that your bullpen will be fresh enough so you can just yank him after 2-3 innings.

The Giants won the World Series with Jonathan Sanchez as their No 4. He was very much like CJ.

Of course Weaver-Shoemaker-Santiago are not Lincecum-Cain-Bumgarner either.

Wouldn't the ALDS with it's 2 games, off day, 2 games, off day, 1 game also necessitate a 4 man rotation?    Unless the Halos swept it in 3?

We are going to need 4 pitchers in the playoffs. 

We don't have even 4 pitchers now. 

CJ has been poor for 3 months now.

I love how Fox kept bringing up the stat "2-0 in the last 4 starts with a 2.50 something ERA" - that barely tells the story of how he actually pitched, walking several batters and keeping the team and fans on the edge of their seats. 

I have little faith he is going to turn it around. He has repeatedly shown that he can't pitch when it really matters. I still have visions of him giving up that 3 run jack to Fielder in the 2011 All star game, which cost his team home field in the WS that they so brutally lost. 

Edited by DoubleOffTheWall