• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowgill is 15th in the AL in WAR and 90% of the guys ahead of him have 200+ more ABs

Been saying it for awhile. Cowgill is a super solid bench piece. Can work counts, plus runner, and plus defense.

Hes been overshadowed, but IMO he was one of the main reasons we kept in the race that first wuarter of the season when calhoun and hamilton were hurt.

The difference this year has been pitching, mainly the improved pen. But the other big difference is we finally have a bench that provides something other than just filler.

Remember when we didn't like WAR because of it being new and players like GA never rating very high? But then we liked it because we signed Vlad and his WAR with Montreal was so high. But then his WAR slipped with us a little so the stat kinda sucked again. But then Trout came along and so the number was super cool again. But then Trout's defense slipped and Donaldson had a high WAR so the number wasn't so good anymore. But now Cowgill is 15th in the league (aka 53rd) and now the number matters.

It's getting really hard to keep track.

2.3 WAR

He basically replaced Bourjos as our 4th outfielder.

Another interesting tidbit, 7 out of the top 15 players in the AL in WAR are Angels (Trout, Pujols, Kendrick, Aybar, Calhoun, Iannetta and again Cowgill).

Where are you getting your stats? 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2014-value-batting.shtml

If you sort by WAR here, he's 51st among position players in the AL.

Remember when we didn't like WAR because of it being new and players like GA never rating very high? But then we liked it because we signed Vlad and his WAR with Montreal was so high. But then his WAR slipped with us a little so the stat kinda sucked again. But then Trout came along and so the number was super cool again. But then Trout's defense slipped and Donaldson had a high WAR so the number wasn't so good anymore. But now Cowgill is 15th in the league (aka 53rd) and now the number matters.

I kinda like this post a lot. I value the stat for offense but not for defense. Any stat that says Trout is below average defensively based solely on his arm is a shit stat. He has a weak arm but he is still a plus defensive center fielder for now.

I haven't looked deeply into the platoon numbers or anything like that, but why is Freese DHing when Cowgill is an option (assuming Beckham at 3rd and the regular starting outfield)?

Scioscia Veteran Bias?

I kinda like this post a lot. I value the stat for offense but not for defense. Any stat that says Trout is below average defensively based solely on his arm is a shit stat. He has a weak arm but he is still a plus defensive center fielder for now.

But you do realize, Stradling, that he's essentially saying "We see what we want to see, or what supports our bias."

I mean, I'll be the first to admit that when Trout's Defensive WAR was going down I started writing Def WAR off. But I think that speaks to my homerism more than it does to WAR being wrong about Trout. (FYI, Trout's Def has been going up again over the last couple weeks - so I'm starting to think WAR might be good again :P )

Edited by Angelsjunky