• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bo Porter Fired

Seems like a direct reaction to what happened with Porter going to Crane with his concerns about the GM and how he was essentially bypassing him on certain decisions.  The really interesting part is that based on the article by Evan Grant, Porter basically went to ownership on behalf of the players and everyone else who was put off by some of the stuff happening in Houston after the Appel situation.  Whoever takes the job there next better be someone comfortable with the idea of being the GM's lackey, because that seems to be what he is looking for from his manager.

Actually -- the team is better this year than last year (although not against the Halos -- our 2013 season vs. Houston was a total disaster.......I think we were something like 6-12 against them, perhaps worse.......A's were something like 15-3 and Texas was 14-4 or so)........

but who wants to manage Houston?

For Bo Porter -- wasn't this his first MLB managerial gig ?

This is what you have to go through to get MLB managerial experience.......he'll be back managing at the MLB level again at some point fairly soon I would think.

Houston is poised to finish ahead of Texas in the standings -- that should be a reason to extend Bo Porter right there.

I don't watch a ton of Astros games (most of them are against the Angels) but from what I have read from the writers I like is that he was a terrible in game strategist. He wasn't given a lot of talent and I don't think the expectation was for him to win a lot of games this year. But, making bad decisions with bad talent hasn't helped. 

I feel like they have done a nice job developing the young talent they've had and one risk in firing Porter is that the player development takes a step back. I'm sure Lunhow feels like it was more because of the minor league coaching.

Let's not forget how many times Porter has misinterpreted the rules like when he made the pitching change mistake against the Angels. Everyone makes mistakes but not knowing the rules of pitching changes is kind of a big deal when you're a manager. I'm not saying that's a reason to be fired but it's representative of the types of mistakes he has made at even the most basic level.

Also this isn't to say that Lunhow hasn't made a lot of mistakes, but Porter wasn't some genius manager either. 

Eric Notti -- was there more to his release (as in 'circumstances surrounding his release') other than the Astros lousy record and the GM constantly looking over his shoulder?

no reason to follow the Astros (which probably puts me on par with Astros fans!) so I am not aware of whatever local situation there is there that may have led to this strange departure time (Sept. 1 when your team has no chance of being in the playoff hunt? -- why not just wait until Oct. 1 to make this move?).......

oh well.

Houston with a lousy team, not much farm talent in the system and apparently with an over-bearing GM..........tough way to get your first MLB managerial gig but someone will accept the job.

Eric Notti -- was there more to his release (as in 'circumstances surrounding his release') other than the Astros lousy record and the GM constantly looking over his shoulder?

no reason to follow the Astros (which probably puts me on par with Astros fans!) so I am not aware of whatever local situation there is there that may have led to this strange departure time (Sept. 1 when your team has no chance of being in the playoff hunt? -- why not just wait until Oct. 1 to make this move?).......

oh well.

Houston with a lousy team, not much farm talent in the system and apparently with an over-bearing GM..........tough way to get your first MLB managerial gig but someone will accept the job.

Not much talent in the farm system? What?

Edited by sneaky_flute

oh well.

Not much talent in the farm system? What?

i think disarcina might underestimate his own spoken lack of knowledge on the astros.

what ? the Astros have a lot of talent in the farm system?

I don't know but from some of the things I've read, things seem pretty dismal there.

Isn't Nolan Ryan some how involved with the franchise these days after his departure from Texas?

Nolan Ryan seemed to be able to make the Rangers competitive -- not sure what's happened this year -- seems like it all fell apart the minute he left.

what ? the Astros have a lot of talent in the farm system?

I don't know but from some of the things I've read, things seem pretty dismal there.

Isn't Nolan Ryan some how involved with the franchise these days after his departure from Texas?

Nolan Ryan seemed to be able to make the Rangers competitive -- not sure what's happened this year -- seems like it all fell apart the minute he left.

Baseball Prospectus ranked their farm system #5 in the MLB before this season. That ranking may have been a little low too.

Baseball Prospectus ranked their farm system #5 in the MLB before this season. That ranking may have been a little low too.

...and that 5 spot excludes all the promotions they've made to the major leagues the past two years. they are incredibly young and talented. if it comes together, and in some respects it already has, then they'll be a very dangerous opponent sooner rather than later.