• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Great Beard Wall of Anaheim - and other musings

nate

Time for Shoe to lead us to a sweep!

A 5 game lead on Oakland would be huge going into Sept.  Of course anything can happen but after this series against Oakland the schedule gets much softer until Sept 16 (the best day of the year).

Angels are still the only team with 80 (82) wins on the season.  Baltimore and Oakland are second with 78.

Also, Jedi's trades this season have been amazing.

Grilli for Frieri

Salas and Freese for Bourjos and Grichuk

Skaggs :( and Santiago for Trumbo

Street and Gott for Rondon, Alvarez, Lindsey and Elliot

I am still not a huge fan of the Street trade because of the long term impact on the team but you can't deny that Jedi has done an amazing job building this team into a powerhouse.

Edited by nate

The Frieri deal was the result of Grilli's diminished velocity and Frieri have another 3 years of team control.

The Street trade was a horrible overpay and everyone knows it. I wouldn't go giving Dipoto kudos over it, but that's already been visited.

The Freese deal is a win for the Angels this season, but down the road. If Grichuk makes the adjustments and Petey finds some value then it's an obvious win for the Cards.

The Trumbo deal was pure unadulterated GENIUS on Jerry's part. Most figured we'd get a solid #4 starter with a couple years if control for him. To have received 5 years of Skaggs and Santiago, both of which are young and have upside considerably higher than a 4th starter and are left handed was brilliant.

My only regret other than Richards and Skaggs injuries is Mark Mulder. I would have LOVED to see what could have done with that new delivery of his. I know scouts sure were excited.

Was listening to MLB network on XM yesterday and they were interviewing a Cardinals beat writer who was saying they wish they had Freese back because they could use his bat and Bourjos isn't panning out, no mention of Salas though....Good times.

Once again, they did not overpay for Street. The padres were in.a great place due to market demand and his contract. Many teams were in thé market and this season thé relievrr market was barren. It was à steep price and one can say that they dont like it but one can nit say it was an overpay. The price may have escalated If they waited until near thé deadline.

Once again, they did not overpay for Street. The padres were in.a great place due to market demand and his contract. Many teams were in thé market and this season thé relievrr market was barren. It was à steep price and one can say that they dont like it but one can nit say it was an overpay. The price may have escalated If they waited until near thé deadline.

I agree. 

To the crowd who thinks we overpaid for Huston Street, close your eyes and ponder for a few seconds that the trade never happened. 

Now, open your eyes and enjoy the reality of battling the Tigers and Mariners for a wild card spot. 

For those who cling to the idea that the Street trade was an overpay, ask yourself if the players traded are going to impact a season the way Huston Street is impacting this one.

The Angels KNOW that if they get it to the 8th with a lead, they are winning.  And they are pretty darn certain that if a starter can get to the 7th with a lead, they are winning.

Street has changed the entire end of game mentality for a team that regularly threw away ten games a year by having a poor closer.  Scoscia now has the formula he needs to be successful, get to the 7th inning and turn it over to the bullpen, and the rest of MLB is noticing.  And it is largely because DiPoto traded some prospects for Huston Street.  Also, like it or not, the Pujols and Hamilton deals both put us in win now positions, and Street helps us do that.  By the time those prospects made a difference in the majors, our window may have closed.

That anyone can say we overpaid for Street at this point is just ... silly.

I think we gave up a ton of talent for him, so by that definition, we overpaid.

But seeing what the Tigers gave up for Soria, it makes me think we paid market for Street. And seeing as how important Street had been to us, and how Gott could be every bit as good as Alvarez, I no longer think the trade was lopsided.

Not an overpay to get Street. Look at how nearly perfect he's been with us plus the fact none of are on the white knuckle roller coaster in the 9th anymore.

If in three years Street is a ghost and the guys traded to San Diego are leading them consistently into the playoffs every year, we can revisit this. But as it stands now, not even close to an overpay.

I am still just dumbfounded by the Grilli for Frieri deal.  How the hell did that happen?!?!

He wasn't pitching well for them for the past season. But IMO everything I saw about Grilli I thought he had the mechanics and great stuff.

I don't know what they were thinking about getting Frieri. Yeah he got the job done, but he always made it tight, and I was never impressed by him.

I have NO problems with the Street trade the second it happened. I knew he would be a signifigant driving force behind the confidence for this team and that he'd also be the kind of guy that shrinks the game down to 8 innings. Love Street, he should be here for the rest of his career IMO.

Won't jump into again.  But in my mind, you have to either be stupid or delusional actually believe it wasn't an overpay.  But again, not going to argue. 

At what point does it become an issue of it having been an overpay, but a worthwhile overpay?   In my mind there is little doubt at this point that as costly as it may have been it was the missing piece to the pen.  As has been bantered about in a different thread -- MS is a much better manager when he has a capable BP.  

Ultimately if you have faith in the people who brought in Rondon and company, then you have faith in them bringing in people to replace them.

Edited by Inside Pitch