• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best bullpen in Angels history

This really may be the best bullpen in Angels history/recent history, up there with 2002 and possibly even better.  To see the way those 8 guys tonight pitched a shutout against one of the best teams in baseball was just unbelievable.  I've been at the games the last 2 nights, and in each game after about the 6th inning ended I knew we would win because we had Street/Smith/the other guys ready to go.  I was even talking to a guy in the 6th or 7th tonight how it would probably be an 8 man combined shutout tonight.  Just really refreshing to have a lockdown bullpen again, and to have a fun team to watch.  There's a special feel to this team, and you guys know me, I'm a realist, but the bullpen has been the backbone to me.  Props to Dipoto for the Street/Smith/Grilli movies, and while I still think Scioscia has been a doofus in recent years, he's been shying away from some of his bad tendencies he had before, and the fact that he has a great closer now makes his 'always go to the closer' mindset work again this year.

2002 Percy vs 2014 Street: Percy (nostalgia)

2002 K-Rod vs 2014 Smith: K-Rod

2002 Shields vs 2014 Jepsen: Shields (length)

2002 Donnelly vs 2014 Morin: Morin

2002 Weber vs 2014 Salas: Salas.

And then just for fun, 2014 puts a Grilli on top. So by my analysis.....

2002 was better in the 7th -9th, 2014 us better in the 6th, one out matchups and is deeper. I call it a wash.

The 2002 and 2004 pens didn't have this depth.

Since all 7 regulars have a sub 2.50 ERA (Grilli as a Halo), a sub 1.11 WHIP, and at least a 3.3/1.0 Ks/BBs ratio, I nominate the only true gloss for this pen.

The Magnificent Seven

I duno, the 2002 pen had Scot Sheilds in the mop up roll... although I can see a lot of comparisons between him and Rasmus at this point. Obviously sample size issues, and only time will ell.

2002 Percy vs 2014 Street: Percy (nostalgia)

2002 K-Rod vs 2014 Smith: K-Rod

2002 Shields vs 2014 Jepsen: Shields (length)

2002 Donnelly vs 2014 Morin: Morin

2002 Weber vs 2014 Salas: Salas.

And then just for fun, 2014 puts a Grilli on top. So by my analysis.....

2002 was better in the 7th -9th, 2014 us better in the 6th, one out matchups and is deeper. I call it a wash.

I disgaree scotty. Id say jepsen is more the krod this year, and they arent too far off. I think donkey was better than morin this year. And 02 shields (not 04) was more of the morin of this years team. Maybe even the salas to be fair

I admit this is probably the deepest 1-7 bullpen the Angel's have had. However, let those 2002 & 2004 pen face 2014 MLB hitters in a pitchers' year, and their numbers would be downright scary. Detroit is leading the AL in OPS with .752. That would put them 10th in 2002 and 11th in 2004.

Edited by gurn67