• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So is Scioscia good again?

An argument could be made that the problem wasn't Scioscia, it was the talent pool.  

The whole bullpen mismanagement thing is something fans bring up all the time but MS has always been extremely well regarded by the saber community for his BP management -- even as the Angels tanked.  It's the one area where the praise for him was pretty much universal.   That's not to say he's incapable of making mistakes or that the saber world is right and the fans are wrong but rather the point I'm making is that the mindset behind the decisions were based in more than just whims.   The problem with bullpen meltdowns is that they stick out like sore thumbs and get magnified.  They hurt more and are harder to come back from than a blown hit and run call in the second inning.  

Mike Scioscia is basically a Tony LaRussa Jr. when it comes to the bullpen.  Give either of those guys a strong bullpen and they have a fighting chance.

I'm not saying the 2010, 2011, or 2013 teams were going to make the playoffs if Scioscia had managed the bullpens better, but I do believe Scioscia's mismanagement of the pen is what cost them a chance to make the playoffs in 2012.  That team was close, and there were so many games I can recall where he made total boneheaded moves, and with a midlevel bullpen is when you've really got to use sound judgment.  I just recall going to a game in May of that year where he brought in Scott Downs for 4 pitches, and then pulled him and brought in Takahashi the next inning.  Takahashi blew it and we lost the game.  There were several instances like that from 2012.  In the last couple of months though Scioscia has had a lockdown pen like he had in the mid 2000's, so his 'LaRussaing' is working since he has a lot of pieces to play with.  Scioscia's flaw to me in the down years (particularly 2012) was he didn't know how to handle the game with less pieces.

I've definitely disagreed with Scioscia in the past, but I have to give credit where it is due. Outside of the Ibanez fiasco early in the season, he's done an amazing job. He's managed around injuries well, he's doing a great job with a taxed bullpen, and he's making great in-game situational calls.

MS and dipoto's philosophies are starting to mesh. Give mike a strong pen and he's gonna be around 90 wins and 'overachieve'.

I've been saying it from day one. The one thing this team needed to succeed is a lock down pen.

Yep...

You could do a SNL or Carol Burnett show type skit where JD and MS are having a meeting and JD tells him everything he wants to do and MS just responds to everything JD says with "and you're getting me a RP right?"

MS with a bullpen will find ways to steal games and piss off other teams.

MS and dipoto's philosophies are starting to mesh. Give mike a strong pen and he's gonna be around 90 wins and 'overachieve'.

I've been saying it from day one. The one thing this team needed to succeed is a lock down pen.

Yeah, I honestly believe that's the most important thing for a modern baseball team to be successful. Build a good pen and let the other chips fall where they may, and you're pretty easily a .500 team at least.

Mike Scioscia for come back manager of the year.

Jokes aside, he deserves credit for keeping the clubhouse together. I don't like his in game decisions that much(Like bringing in Roth today), but keeping the guys ready and united is something that is more important than that. 

I think IP hit the nail on the head. Sosh has been great, hes also been flawed. Last year was likely a wake up call.

We can have opinions of his in game stuff, but we'll never know whats going on behind the scenes. Not his fault if he gets bad players, nor his credi we have trout and a bullpen know. But hes a key part in the moral and how serious these guys approach each game. Its Apparent in the Results this year something has changed outside the lines.

His style has remained the same as long as I can remember.  He has preconcieved labels and roles for players and when those players perform, he is a genius and when those players fail he should be fired.

My only issue is with Scioscia taking soooooooooooo long to reconsider a players role requiring soooooooooooo many failings.

It's nice to have a place to voice your opinions with other fans ... but let's face it, they are the professionals and we are the amateurs.

Any team in baseball in need of a manager change would jump at the chance to hire Scioscia.

Managing game decisions is sometimes hit or miss. You have to rely on hope and faith in your players.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Sorry, it's you're.

I really don't know if he pulled the plug on Frieri and Ibanez. He stuck with them way too long. I think Dipoto did.

Frieri probably, Ibanez not at all. Ibanez was a veteran coming off a good season. He was loved in the clubhouse. He had less than 200 plate appearances, that's about right to show you still got it or not. Now if you'd like to say he should have not batted Ibanez 4th I would agree.

Yep...

You could do a SNL or Carol Burnett show type skit where JD and MS are having a meeting and JD tells him everything he wants to do and MS just responds to everything JD says with "and you're getting me a RP right?"

MS with a bullpen will find ways to steal games and piss off other teams.

Ear tug for this post.

Scioscia gets credit when the team wins.

He's also the dude who writes Freese and Conger's names on the lineup card.

Which sarcastic response should I use here? Forget I'll just ask you the obvious question, who should be starting in their place that is currently on the team. Now remember you can't say Ianetta because everyone knows catchers need a couple days off a week.

I think JD has made things work by shoring up the bullpen.   Without that, we'd still have problems.   The blown games (so far - fingers cross, pubes crossed) are gone in 14.   Yeah one here or there, like Street a few weeks ago.   But Pen has been solid.

Guys game around like Richards.

Still some question marks.   Why isn't Trout running as much.   Why don't they exploit the shift more.

I've always disliked MS, but I've always said he's a top 5 manager.   

I just thought the Angels needed a new voice.   I don't imagine it's him.   There's a chemistry in this clubhouse that feels 2002 -- Trout maturing, Pujols acquiesing, Hamilton obeying, Calhoun getting gritty, Aybar hustling, Weaver harnessing his arrogance, Bullpen believing, and some other great things.

They may not win the WS.   This season has been fun to watch.    It's been the perfect cocktail, and it seems like all of these guys have slightly altered their personalities as this season has gone on.

It's a great thing.. let's hope it continues for another 2 months.

Which sarcastic response should I use here? Forget I'll just ask you the obvious question, who should be starting in their place that is currently on the team. Now remember you can't say Ianetta because everyone knows catchers need a couple days off a week.

The bountiful contributions of Freese and Conger speak for themselves.

I think JD has made things work by shoring up the bullpen. Without that, we'd still have problems. The blown games (so far - fingers cross, pubes crossed) are gone in 14. Yeah one here or there, like Street a few weeks ago. But Pen has been solid.

Guys game around like Richards.

Still some question marks. Why isn't Trout running as much. Why don't they exploit the shift more.

I've always disliked MS, but I've always said he's a top 5 manager.

I just thought the Angels needed a new voice. I don't imagine it's him. There's a chemistry in this clubhouse that feels 2002 -- Trout maturing, Pujols acquiesing, Hamilton obeying, Calhoun getting gritty, Aybar hustling, Weaver harnessing his arrogance, Bullpen believing, and some other great things.

They may not win the WS. This season has been fun to watch. It's been the perfect cocktail, and it seems like all of these guys have slightly altered their personalities as this season has gone on.

It's a great thing.. let's hope it continues for another 2 months.

Spend 2 or 3 hours playing a slot machine and you're bound to hit sometime. Arte gave Jerry plenty of money and rope. He's hot right now but he could go cold again. That's the life of a GM. This years team is playing with heart like 2002. Next years team might play like 2003. I think we have everything we need to win it all. I'm actually rooting for a freeway World Series.