• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson article on FanGraphs

TEvans

I love how you phrase this, as if those people are just meanies for disliking the fact he rarely gets deep into a game.  You know 100 pitches in 5+innings isn't good right?  If you can't eat up at least six innings as a starter, you haven't really done your job, especially for a starter making as much as CJ Wilson.  

Ummm, using your own argument -- 6 IP..   He pitched at least 6 full innings in 22 of 34 starts in 2012,  25 of his 33 starts in 2013, and 14 of 24 starts this year.  So, yeah.

High pitch counts haven't kept him from consistently working into the 7th and beyond.  They may however likely shorten his career some.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Yes I know that, of course I know that. Tell me you won't refer back to this article the next time his pitch count is up there again. Of course you will. My point wasn't this will make new people talk shit on him, my point was the people who do talk shit on him will refer to this article. Oh and the money part at the end is non factor in how many pitches or innings he throws in any given start.

People seem to hate him because he's comfortable in his own skin and doesn't really give a rats ass what anyone else thinks of him.  Someone must have tipped CJ off to the reality that some people will hate you no matter what so he might as well do he whatever makes you happy.   He's cocksure, no doubt about it but he's a far cry from being a Barry Bonds level jackass

Edited by Inside Pitch

Ummm, using your own argument -- 6 IP..   He pitched at least 6 full innings in 22 of 34 starts in 2012,  25 of his 33 starts in 2013, and 14 of 24 starts this year.  So, yeah.

High pitch counts haven't kept him from consistently working into the 7th and beyond.  They may however likely shorten his career some.

So umm, yeah.  Sub par year in 2012, good year in 2013, and shaping up for another subpar year this year unless he can really get it rolling from here out.  I certainly hope he does.  Like I said in my first post, he's a good pitcher, but he should probably be a bit better than he is.  

So umm, yeah.  Sub par year in 2012, good year in 2013, and shaping up for another subpar year this year unless he can really get it rolling from here out.  I certainly hope he does.  Like I said in my first post, he's a good pitcher, but he should probably be a bit better than he is.  

Like I said -- the 6 inning thing was your definition.   I thought it was limited observation as well.

Yes I know that, of course I know that. Tell me you won't refer back to this article the next time his pitch count is up there again. Of course you will. My point wasn't this will make new people talk shit on him, my point was the people who do talk shit on him will refer to this article. Oh and the money part at the end is non factor in how many pitches or innings he throws in any given start.

So what?  If people do "talk shit", there will probably be valid reasons for doing so.  People won't need this article to make observations about his performances.  

Context just might be your friend.  I was responding to Stradling's 5+ comment.  I never said 6 full innings was the definition of a good performance.  

I responded to your post claiming he rarely worked deep into games, a post where you used 6 innings as the measuring stick.  I made no connections to 6 innings being a good performance.  You are the only person that chose to use 6 innings, you are the guy that said if you can't go 6 then you aren't doing your job.

My pointing out your statement was incorrect based on your 6 innings number isn't a context failure on my part, it wasn't even intended to be argumentative as much as it was to point out he's actually done a decent job of piling up innings even with his elevated pitch counts.  

In closing, I enjoyed the insight into what CJ thinks and agree with Eric, he will likely make a fine pitching coach should he ever go down that route.

Edited by Inside Pitch

It's not the nibbling itself that makes him struggle.    It's falling behind batters constantly.

Over his first 77 innings of 2014, he walked just 27 (a little over 3 per 9 inn). 

Over his next 47 innings (June 1 through first 2 Aug starts), which was his bad period in 2014, he also walked 27 (about 5.5 per 9 inn).

He has walked 10 in his past 17 innings though, but only allowed 4 runs.

The narcissism comes from CJ Winson Mazda, CJ Wilson Racing, Head and Shoulders, etc.

That's pretty common practice.   Racing teams are commonly named after their owners.   Auto dealerships likewise commonly named after their owners.  Joe Gibbs went from coaching football to owning a race team named after himself.  Karl Malone, John Elway, Michael Jordan, Mike Piazza -- they all own dealerships named after themselves.

That's pretty common practice. Racing teams are commonly named after their owners. Auto dealerships likewise commonly named after their owners. Joe Gibbs went from coaching football to owning a race team named after himself. Karl Malone, John Elway, Michael Jordan, Mike Piazza -- they all own dealerships named after themselves.

Must be the hair

I responded to your post claiming he rarely worked deep into games, a post where you used 6 innings as the measuring stick. I made no connections to 6 innings being a good performance. You are the only person that chose to use 6 innings, you are the guy that said if you can't go 6 then you aren't doing your job.

My pointing out your statement was incorrect based on your 6 innings number isn't a context failure on my part, it wasn't even intended to be argumentative as much as it was to point out he's actually done a decent job of piling up innings even with his elevated pitch counts.

In closing, I enjoyed the insight into what CJ thinks and agree with Eric, he will likely make a fine pitching coach should he ever go down that route.

Umm ya no my statement wasn't incorrect. Your numbers actually show he hasn't done a good job of getting deep into games. In 2012, Over 1/3 of his starts he couldn't make it thru 6, which is not asking a lot. He had a good year last year, and back to being subpar this year with an even worse percentage. My overarching point is that Cj Wilson doesn't do a good job of managing his pitch counts six innings or whatever aside. I think most here would agree with that. But you go on not being argumentative.

The article was great and I learned a lot.

Bu my opinion of him really hasn't changed. He's a perfectionist, and when things are going as planned, he's going to have a good game.

It's when things aren't going as he expected that's the problem. It seems like his plans are so precise that it's unadjustable on the fly and he gets rattled, then that big inning comes.

With him, it's always about the crooked number inning.

Good pitchers may get hit around, but they avoid the big inning and don't self destruct like him.