• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia says he wishes Mathis was his son

Hilarious stuff about Mathis, but it kind of reminds how dreadful our catching position has been since Bengie was in his prime. We've had nobody who could command a game with his defense and pitch calling abilities in forever. Watching zeros like wade Leblanc shake off iannetta time and again and then throw fastballs down the middle way ahead in counts highlights this fact. We need a solid catcher, bad.

Hilarious stuff about Mathis, but it kind of reminds how dreadful our catching position has been since Bengie was in his prime. We've had nobody who could command a game with his defense and pitch calling abilities in forever. Watching zeros like wade Leblanc shake off iannetta time and again and then throw fastballs down the middle way ahead in counts highlights this fact. We need a solid catcher, bad.

I know Iannetta's work behind the plate is a tad mediocre, but he's one of the better offensive catchers going around. Why he's constantly left in the 8th or 9th spot, I'll never know.

after mathis had been traded, i was at fanfest with everyone in arizona. we were doing the sunday morning Q & A with tim mead and i asked something about how the organization felt when trading away a guy like mathis. i wasn't trying to be disrespectful or mean-spirited or anything (i may have mentioned something about him not being terribly productive offensively, too) but boy oh boy did i hit a raw nerve with mead. he was very defensive of mathis and talked about how he was generally considered the best athlete on the team (not kiddingly) and that it was really hard to let him go because everyone thought so highly of him.

needless to say, mead and i did not have lunch together that day. he wasn't very happy with me.

after mathis had been traded, i was at fanfest with everyone in arizona. we were doing the sunday morning Q & A with tim mead and i asked something about how the organization felt when trading away a guy like mathis. i wasn't trying to be disrespectful or mean-spirited or anything (i may have mentioned something about him not being terribly productive offensively, too) but boy oh boy did i hit a raw nerve with mead. he was very defensive of mathis and talked about how he was generally considered the best athlete on the team (not kiddingly) and that it was really hard to let him go because everyone thought so highly of him.

needless to say, mead and i did not have lunch together that day. he wasn't very happy with me.

Yeah, there have been a lot of stories about his athleticism.   He was slated to play QB at FSU.   His bat never came around and wasn't able to translate his lower minors performance has he moved up the ladder but he's managed to hang around MLB long enough to retire with a full pension.

Crazy to think that Mathis and former Angels RP Bobby Cassevah may have ended up playing each other as QBs at FSU and LSU.   

Which makes it all the more odd that Scioscia would say something like this right now.

Mathis plays for the Marlins. The Marlins are in town. That's why it's relevant now.