• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where is Grant Green?

It seems he has been gone forever, and last I heard he was going to be on a rehab assignment.

Beckham so far looks terrible. It would be great to have green slotted in the DH role.

Beckham has played two games, what kind of sample is that?

I thought Grant Green played pretty well for us and was very versatile.

not sure why we got Beckham (to hit lefties is why).......

if Green isn't going to part of this club, Halos need to deal him (perhaps for some rental pitching help) so he can play the rest of this year and then catch on with that team for next year.

I felt Green was a pretty good depth guy for us -- could play INF and OF, could run pretty well and be called upon to sac bunt if situation called for it.

not great D in the INF -- but probably on par or better than Freese at 3B.....made a decent play in LF for us in one game this year for us.

Oh well.

So the Angels value defense and bring in Beckham and the experts here hate the move? That's reason enough for me to assume it's a solid move.

Pretty steep price for defense (I thnk he has a 4 million contract this year)....but at this point in the season, not a big deal, I guess.....

In his previous 101 games he hit .221 with a .598 OPS.

That's about what we can expect from him.

I think you're on the right track. I don't see Green as a starter next season. His defense is suspect ... which may take in out of a utility role on the team.

Baseball is a funny game ... I could be wrong.

Pretty steep price for defense (I thnk he has a 4 million contract this year)....but at this point in the season, not a big deal, I guess.....

His career isn't what anyone expected it to be but he is a major leaguer. He is a utility player and an insurance policy against injury. He is a solid pickup for the stretch drive when the team is going to be playing something like 40 games in 41 days.

Based on the fact that he played 3B and 2B, giving Freese and Kendrick days at DH, he's bench fodder brought in to give the guys a break due to the long stretch of games without a day.  Rosters expand this week and you'll have Green, McDonald, and Beckham on the bench to provide late-inning INF/OF relief or the odd day off.  There is a large enough sample size to show he's not a good offensive player but he's cheap for the remainder of the season and probably a non-tender candidate at the end of the year. 

In his previous 101 games he hit .221 with a .598 OPS.

That's about what we can expect from him.

It's an odd move for sure...  His defense has taken a dive in recent years -- it's still better than Grant Green's but not an attribute you give playing time to.  

I know JD referenced his numbers vs LHP and while he may be doing well this year, his career doesn't show the same sort of LHP dominance.  He's been pretty much equal LH/RH over the course of his career and his most recent three year sample shows he's been about  100 OPS points worse Vs. LHP than RHP.

I really hope they aren't looking at this guy as a long term help, if a guy can't put up league average numbers while playing in US Cellular, Angel Stadium and the AL West parks aren't going to make him look any better.

I still don't understand the people acting like he's a viable replacement for Kendrick next season. If he doesn't get non-tendered there's something seriously wrong, then when/if he does he'll get a cheap bench contract or maybe even a minor league deal. I don't like the deal because it delays the return of Green, may even mean Green misses the postseason roster and Beckham doesn't play shortstop (which would have allowed us to bring the McDonald thing to a long overdue close)...but it's not the sort of deal I'm going to lose much sleep over.

Oz, I asked you this in another thread but never saw a response from you. You seem to understand the game at a high level. What do you have against McDonald on the team as a defensive replacement? He is VERY good with the glove and will be a perfect post season late inning glove guy.

I have no problem with McDonald as a late innings replacement, however, I do have a problem with Beckham getting more than the occasional start at this point in the season. He has a terrible bat, and our hitting has struggled mightily since the ASB. Playing two games against Oakland is not what I want to see.

halo check your pm box.

I have no problem with McDonald as a late innings replacement, however, I do have a problem with Beckham getting more than the occasional start at this point in the season. He has a terrible bat, and our hitting has struggled mightily since the ASB. Playing two games against Oakland is not what I want to see.

I think he played back to back games to give the regulars a breather.

Oz, I asked you this in another thread but never saw a response from you. You seem to understand the game at a high level. What do you have against McDonald on the team as a defensive replacement? He is VERY good with the glove and will be a perfect post season late inning glove guy.

Guys who are of a similar level to McDonald defensively but better offensively aren't rare. They're everywhere you bloody look and all over AAA. In fact we had one earlier in the season and traded him away (Romine). The misfortune that is watching Freese play third base means we need a defensive replacement type, but we can do significantly better than McDonald. It's too late now to change it, rosters expand in a week, but I find it staggering that we've held onto him all season.

My thoughts are if it was that easy to find then most teams would have a utility guy that plays plus defense at three different infield positions that makes the major league minimum. Since most teams don't I'll assume it's not as easy to find as that. Now if you were to say you'd rather give up some defense for a more rounded player then I could see your point.

Edited by Stradling