• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dear CJ Wilson

Stradling

Sad you expect a number one starter for $15 million a year.

What, in your opinion, are respectable numbers out of a guy making $15M/year?

I'd say 3.50 ERA and 1.25 WHIP is what he should be producing. He's well off those numbers this year. I don't think anyone is "expecting a number one starter". 

People are frustrated because he's not producing like a 2 starter, and he's not producing like a 3 starter, and well, to be honest he hasn't produced like a quality 4th starter even. We're getting Dan Haren production out of this guy in the 3rd year of his big deal. You don't see that as frustrating at all?

I agree, he pitched well tonight, but overall his production is way below what should be expected out of him

What, in your opinion, are respectable numbers out of a guy making $15M/year?

I'd say 3.50 ERA and 1.25 WHIP is what he should be producing. He's well off those numbers this year. I don't think anyone is "expecting a number one starter".

People are frustrated because he's not producing like a 2 starter, and he's not producing like a 3 starter, and well, to be honest he hasn't produced like a quality 4th starter even. We're getting Dan Haren production out of this guy in the 3rd year of his big deal. You don't see that as frustrating at all?

I agree, he pitched well tonight, but overall his production is way below what should be expected out of him

He pitched well last season and started this season off looking pretty good. Now he has seen a drop in velocity so he has very little room for error. The results from him tonight is perfectly acceptable.

He's numbers as an Angel 3.85/1.362. Not what I would expect out of a 15 million per pitcher

Cliff Lee

CC Sabathia

Matt Cain

Justin Verlander

Mark Buerle

Tim Lincecum

All paid $17 million or more per year, none have been much better than CJ this season. Its called the price of pitching on the open market.

Cliff Lee

CC Sabathia

Matt Cain

Justin Verlander

Mark Buerle

Tim Lincecum

All paid $17 million or more per year, none have been much better than CJ this season. Its called the price of pitching on the open market.

And Cain and Verlander didn't even hit the open market so we really shouldn't complain about having a guy that can have a start like this against such a good offense.

All those guys are under performing though. I doubt any of the fans of those teams think they are getting their monies worth. I doubt they are chill with the performance and taking solace in the fact that even though their guy sucks, CJ Wilson is also doing bad so it's chill.

Also, if we can recognize those guys are underperforming their contracts then why can't we do the same about CJ?

Edited by HaloMagic

All those guys are under performing though. I doubt any of the fans of those teams think they are getting their monies worth. I doubt they are chill with the performance and taking solace in the fact that even though their guy sucks, CJ Wilson is also doing bad so it's chill.

Also, if we can recognize those guys are underperforming their contracts then why can't we do the same about CJ?

My point was and is that free agent pitchers are expensive and are a risky signing. The only three pitchers being paid more than $17 million that I didn't mention were Felix, Kershaw and Hamils. CJ pitched pretty well last year and he is struggling this year. I just think his stuff doesn't look as good as it has in years past so I assume he's got some sort of injury.

My point was and is that free agent pitchers are expensive and are a risky signing. The only three pitchers being paid more than $17 million that I didn't mention were Felix, Kershaw and Hamils. CJ pitched pretty well last year and he is struggling this year. I just think his stuff doesn't look as good as it has in years past so I assume he's got some sort of injury.

Not all free agent pitchers are expensive plus there are a bunch of pitchers getting paid less than CJ that are pitching better than him. The fact that you are including the likes of Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Mark Buerle, Tim Lincecum into your argument just shows what kind of pitcher the Angels expected him to be when they gave him the contract.

All of the above pitchers are pitching below expectations and so is CJ.

Not all free agent pitchers are expensive plus there are a bunch of pitchers getting paid less than CJ that are pitching better than him. The fact that you are including the likes of Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Mark Buerle, Tim Lincecum into your argument just shows what kind of pitcher the Angels expected him to be when they gave him the contract.

All of the above pitchers are pitching below expectations and so is CJ.

Fair enough, I was just picking expensive starters and showing that it isn't just the Angels who have players that are expensive and not playing at a really high level. Also When you are talking about a team like the Angels, who had world series aspirations when they signed CJ, they were looking to sign the best free agent starter, and they did. I also took exception to all of the CJ just sucks shit that you see on here, when in reality he hasn't really sucked for the length of his contract.

BTW Here are the numbers of the guys you mentioned over their respected current contracts: 

Lee: 2.89/1.085

Sabathia: 3.59/1.225

Cain: 3.27/1.103

Verlander: 3.21/1.153

Buerle: 3.79/1.300

Wilson: 3.85/1.362

They are all having bad years but aside from Buerle have all performed well throughout their contracts.

I guess so but to tell you the truth I don't really care about the other guys. As you say, CJ was signed by the Angels when they had World Series aspirations and gave him $15 mil to be their #2. Every year since he's been projected as the #2 to start the season and has mostly disappointed. He has been fairly inconsistent, pitching at times like a 2 and at times like a 5 and his numbers over the length of his contract are not #2 numbers.