• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ranger fans just can't wait....

From a close (Ranger fan) friend that I work with.  He believes that half of the 3.5 million fans last year were Cowboy fans...talking about how they need "2 more points to win the game".  Please don't tell us that the 3.5 million fans were ALL baseball fans.  I live in the metroplex and know it isn't the truth.  I work a bunch of Cowboy fans who have admitted to me, just this last week, that they are angry that Josh Hamilton left the team and went to a rival.  They didn't care that it was to the Angels so much as it he stayed in the division...of course, they really hate it now because he went to what they call "The Hated Angels".  The football town comments they all admit as true...but, "he shouldn't be the one saying it".  Like it matters!!

Suck it Rangers.  And...Harrison sucks.

You have to start somewhere.....and the average Ranger fan isn't nearly as misinformed as you would like to believe. I don't expect the casual fan to know every player on the 40 man is, but as long as they show up and cheer its a step in the right direction. I'm guessing I could go to any park on any given night and talk to countless "idiots" who don't live and breathe the stuff like we do. I remember when Angel fans thought it was a good idea to pepper the field with beach balls on a nightly basis.

Funny separating the die hard from the casual fan. Post game of out home opener I went back to my tailgate party, and play some games. When all of a sudden I flip out because none other than a former Ranger (and Angel) "great" wondered into my party. You could really separate the group by who knew who this man was:

Ne3qeKE.jpg?1

And Josh is a huge reason why that many football fans started to show up to The Ballpark in Arlington. Before Josh, the stadium was 60% full.

Where would they build it downtown? West End? Deep Ellum? Where the Baylor Med Center is? I just don't see where it would have been feasible without tearing something else down first. Too many existing (tall) buildings and freeway interchanges.

Honestly, when I lived there in the mid-90s, I never really liked the downtown area, except the West End. It seemed like everything else catered to the business crowd, and once the workday was over, downtown was like a ghost town.

Eh, hard to say but they could have made it work and developed around it.  I was pretty young when The Ballpark in Arlington was built so I wasn't that familiar with what the layout was then. DFW is just so spread out and while putting the stadium right in the middle makes it possible for many fans to attend it made it difficult for most fans to attend. Factor in the weather and one playoff win until 2010 and its understandable to see why it took a while to get fans out.

Benji Gil looks the same.  Except for that stupid shirt.

He's only like 40. Nice guy though, I wasn't able to talk him into playing on my softball team though :(

OKAY. Let's see if Hamilton's comment about Texas being a 'football' state and DFW being a 'football' town is correct.

A little test run TONIGHT and TOMORROW.

There's a great pitching match-up on the Sunday night ESPN game -- Halos ace Weaver vs. Texas near perfect game last time out, Darvish -- as good of a pitching match up of aces between division rivals as you're going to see. 

Monday night ESPNU features another highly anticipated and watched event -- Texas Spring Game -- College Football.

I predict  -- attendance at the Spring Game will be greater than that at Arlington tonight (well, the football stadium capacity is twice as much so that's easy. I think tonight's baseball game will be sold out -- although it may take late walk up sales to get there -- I am almost certain the Spring Football Game has been sold out for months and will be standing room only.

I also predict -- in the State of Texas as well as in the greater DFW market area -- the Monday night Spring Football game will have higher viewership than the Sunday night match-up between Weaver and Darvish.......

let's check the stats Tuesday / Wednesday and see if Hamilton is right. I think he is.

If I am not mistaken -- isn't the Texas Spring Game a University of Texas intramural scrimmage?  

yeah -- it packs the Stadium every year -- and will likely out draw in personal attendance and TV ratings tonight's Angels/ Rangers game in Texas and the DFW area.

I was at the game and I booed Hamilton....I also cheered when he struck out.......and again when he struck out.

If the Rangers had wanted to kepp Hamilton they could have thrown money at him and done so. They didn't, he is an injury risk, not a great clubhouse guy, and a headcase. He had an amazing first half of last season, but some switch flipped and he was done. He didn't even seem to care that he was struggling though. Lazy in the outfield, pathetic ABs, being very secretive about his issues in the media until he ultimately said that it was just god punishing him for sneaking a dip.

The whole situation was frustrating because we knew his potential. We have seen him do incredible things. His August 13, 2010 game against the Red Sox was the best individual performance I have ever seen from a player. He hit four HRs in a single game. On the flip side, he would turn into Manny Rameriz on defense. He would non-chalantly go up to bat with a toothpick in his mouth and miss three straight pitches by a total of 6 feet smile and walk back to the dugout. He quit on the rangers not the other way around.

As far as the baseball town thing goes. It was a statement made to ruffle feathers and it was a statement made with the sole intention of getting himself booed. He could have chose to leave on good terms, get an ad in the paper say thanks for the memories and for most fans that would have been enough. He wanted the attention, he wanted the spotlight and he got it. He will play in Texas close to 50 more times in his career so there is plenty of time for this to develop hopefully into a non-story.

My opinion on whether or not this is a "baseball town"....not really, but its getting there. There are a lot of diehards such as myself, but if I had to lable it a sports town it would be football. That said we put about 3.5 million fans in the stands last year and its hard to argue that we don't care about our baseball team.

Right on, Nick. He can't hit a baseball anymore so the only way he can get the attention he craves is to rile up Rangers fans.  He's pretty much marked himself as a drama queen with his incendiary remarks. He was even out there on the field the other day pretending to throw a pass into the stands to anger the fans. It'll die down and all that will be left for him is 175 strikeouts this season because that has been the pace he's been on since the middle of last year. Like you said, he could have handled the booing last year differently. Like he could have said he understood it because it wasn't like his best play and he'd try to get better. That's what good sports say about booing. Instead he used the opportunity to anger fans and draw attention to himself. LIke many alcoholics he's a drama queen who does not think about others. 

He can't hit a baseball anymore so the only way he can get the attention he craves is to rile up Rangers fans.

Last year, .285 with 43 home runs and 128 RBI. Not bad for a non-hitter. 

How will the Rangers ever replace his lack of production? Maybe they can pick up Jeff Mathis from the Marlins.

Right on, Nick. He can't hit a baseball anymore so the only way he can get the attention he craves is to rile up Rangers fans. He's pretty much marked himself as a drama queen with his incendiary remarks. He was even out there on the field the other day pretending to throw a pass into the stands to anger the fans. It'll die down and all that will be left for him is 175 strikeouts this season because that has been the pace he's been on since the middle of last year. Like you said, he could have handled the booing last year differently. Like he could have said he understood it because it wasn't like his best play and he'd try to get better. That's what good sports say about booing. Instead he used the opportunity to anger fans and draw attention to himself. LIke many alcoholics he's a drama queen who does not think about others.

I'll take "bitter choking bridesmaids" for $1000, Alex.

Last year, .285 with 43 home runs and 128 RBI. Not bad for a non-hitter. 

How will the Rangers ever replace his lack of production? Maybe they can pick up Jeff Mathis from the Marlins.

Yeah, but he was a .259 hitter with 86 strikeouts after the ASB, looking about like he does now for the Angels.  175 strikeouts for 2013 is a conservative estimate based on that pace.  You'd think someone who fell off the table like that with the way his season ended would be a little bit more humble and contrite. But, that would not draw attention to the Drama Queen.  So he disses Ranger fans, the Ranger front-office and the city, blaming others for his slip-shod performance, another characteristic of alcoholics.

Yeah, but he was a .259 hitter with 86 strikeouts after the ASB, looking about like he does now for the Angels.  175 strikeouts for 2013 is a conservative estimate based on that pace.  You'd think someone who fell off the table like that with the way his season ended would be a little bit more humble and contrite. But, that would not draw attention to the Drama Queen.  So he disses Ranger fans, the Ranger front-office and the city, blaming others for his slip-shod performance, another characteristic of alcoholics.

Speaking of drama queens, that was a nice Hamilton manifesto that you posted earlier.

Speaking of drama queens, that was a nice Hamilton manifesto that you posted earlier.

Sure... we can dish it out as long as Hamilton continues mocking Rangers fans.  Here is how you handle the situation Hamilton was in:

"I know better than to get myself down," he said. "And my message to the fans is, they have a reason to boo."

"They have the right. They pay a lot of money to come and watch me play, and I'm not performing the way I know how to perform. But I also understand I can't force it. I'm trying my best."

That was Albert Pujols last May when he was striking out a lot, disappointing Angels fans and getting booed.  Notice he did not blame Angels fans or criticize them.  Josh took it upon himself to say DFW is not a baseball town because they booed him. He also complained about how he was treated by the Rangers front office, I guess because they would not pay him what he wanted?  That's quite a contrast. Pujols was contrite, said he's trying his best, He didn't take it out on Angels fans.   Hamilton continues to mock Rangers fans by pretending to pass a football and all of that, even though he got the $125 million he wanted.

Looks like a lot of sour grapes on his part.  We like the defense and speed of Martin/Gentry in CF.  They and Berkman replace Young and Hamilton in the batting order.  That's pretty much a wash, mainly because of how poor Young was last year, so we  really didn't need him and would be happy for him and his new contract if he just kept his mouth shut and played baseball. 

I'm sure both Angels and Rangers fans alike would rather he zip it and play than continue to act like a spoiled, arrogant child and bring embarassment to himself and his his new uniform. 

He and CJ both need to get over the fact the Rangers are here to win games for the long term, and do not exist merely to massage their egos and pay them ridiculous sums of money. If they want to show what they are worth they can show it on the field, not by attacking Rangers fans or the owners and management of the Rangers.

Bring it.

And Josh is a huge reason why that many football fans started to show up to The Ballpark in Arlington. Before Josh, the stadium was 60% full.

who was responsible for getting all those hockey fans to show up to angel stadium? i love how you're convinced that those attendance trends are somehow unique to texas. at least people are showing up to games. when the marlins were good they played in empty stadiums.

and i'm sorry but you can't sustain a rapport with the fans if you're tactless and act like a child. the behavior that caused fans to resent him is the same behavior that got him traded from cincinnati.

Yeah, but he was a .259 hitter with 86 strikeouts after the ASB, looking about like he does now for the Angels.

That's some good cherry picking. He also hit 16 HR and had a respectable .833 OPS. Good enough for 3rd on the team during that time.

who was responsible for getting all those hockey fans to show up to angel stadium? i love how you're convinced that those attendance trends are somehow unique to texas. at least people are showing up to games. when the marlins were good they played in empty stadiums.

and i'm sorry but you can't sustain a rapport with the fans if you're tactless and act like a child. the behavior that caused fans to resent him is the same behavior that got him traded from cincinnati....

Texas Rangers fans: we'll put up with what we feel are objectionable behaviors when you're playing well.

Sure... we can dish it out as long as Hamilton continues mocking Rangers fans.  Here is how you handle the situation Hamilton was in:

"I know better than to get myself down," he said. "And my message to the fans is, they have a reason to boo."

"They have the right. They pay a lot of money to come and watch me play, and I'm not performing the way I know how to perform. But I also understand I can't force it. I'm trying my best."

That was Albert Pujols last May when he was striking out a lot, disappointing Angels fans and getting booed.  Notice he did not blame Angels fans or criticize them.  Josh took it upon himself to say DFW is not a baseball town because they booed him. He also complained about how he was treated by the Rangers front office, I guess because they would not pay him what he wanted?  That's quite a contrast. Pujols was contrite, said he's trying his best, He didn't take it out on Angels fans.   Hamilton continues to mock Rangers fans by pretending to pass a football and all of that, even though he got the $125 million he wanted.

Looks like a lot of sour grapes on his part.  We like the defense and speed of Martin/Gentry in CF.  They and Berkman replace Young and Hamilton in the batting order.  That's pretty much a wash, mainly because of how poor Young was last year, so we  really didn't need him and would be happy for him and his new contract if he just kept his mouth shut and played baseball. 

I'm sure both Angels and Rangers fans alike would rather he zip it and play than continue to act like a spoiled, arrogant child and bring embarassment to himself and his his new uniform. 

He and CJ both need to get over the fact the Rangers are here to win games for the long term, and do not exist merely to massage their egos and pay them ridiculous sums of money. If they want to show what they are worth they can show it on the field, not by attacking Rangers fans or the owners and management of the Rangers.

Bring it.

Give it a rest. It's much easier for Rangers fans to see him leave if they can vilify him.