• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting article from CBS Sports re: Richards Injury

Taylor

Still, a .566 winning percentage with him on the mound. That's really solid, but it's not like it was an automatic win when he pitched.

Richards has pitched 168.2 innings and has only given up 124 hits. That's dominating. 4.4 WAR is top 10 in all of MLB for pitchers. You can't replace that. The .566 winning percentage with him on the mound is skewed with four 1 run loses.

Another example. Angels 1995....then discarcina goes down.

The rotation completely imploding did more to derail that season than anything else.  Fin went from mid three to high 4s, Langston was over 5.00 the second half.  Boskie remembered he was Boskei and posted an ERA over 8.00 the second half.   Brian Anderson went form an ERA in the low 4s to over 7.00.   It was ugly.

I think this article and the ensuing comments on the board fail to take into account just how hot Richards has been.  Sure you can say it was statistically likely he'd have gone 4-3 to end the year, but Richards has been the hottest pitcher in baseball for 10+ starts now.  I feel like it's just as likely the Angels would've gone 5-2 or 6-1 in his remaining games.  

If Wade LeBlanc goes 3-4, in my mind that'll likely mean it cost the Angels 2 or 3 wins this season.  But LeBlanc just isn't a good pitcher.  If he was he wouldn't have been passed over so easily in the offseason.  Every team knows what he brings to the table by now.  I'd say a 3-4 record from him in his remaining 7 starts is quite optimistic.  

In games that he starts I'd say 2-5 is probably more likely, if not 1-6. 

I think losing Richard ends up costing the Angels 4-5 wins the remainder of the season and likely torpedoes their chances in the playoffs once they arrive. When you're in a tight race with the A's, 4-5 wins is practically saying it's the difference between a ticket to the ALDS and do-or-die wild card play in game.

I'm confident the Angels will be in the playoffs this year, but if it ends up being the Wild Card as a result of losing Richards, throwing Weaver out there against another playoff team's ace leads me to believe the Angels will be one and done. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I think this article and the ensuign comments on the board fail to take into account just how how Richards has been.  Sure you can say it was statistically likely he'd have gone 4-3 to end the year, but Richards has been the hottest pitcher in baseball for 10+ starts now.  I feel like it's just as likely the Angels would've gone 5-2 or 6-1 in his remaining games.  

If Wade LeBlanc goes 3-4, in my mind that'll likely mean it cost the Angels 2 or 3 wins this season.  But LeBlanc just isn't a good pitcher.  If he was he wouldn't have been passed over so easily in the offseason.  Every team knows what he brings to the table by now.  I'd say a 3-4 record from him in his remaining 7 starts is quite optimistic.  

In games that he starts I'd say 2-5 is probably more likely, if now 1-6. 

I think losing Richard ends up costing the Angels 4-5 wins the remainder of the season and likely torpedoes their chances in the playoffs once they arrive. When you're in a tight race with the A's, 4-5 wins is practically saying it's the difference between a ticket to the ALDS and do-or-die wild card play in game.

I'm confident the Angels will be in the playoffs this year, but if it ends up being the Wild Card as a result of losing Richards, throwing Weaver out there against another playoff team's ace leads me to believe the Angels will be one and done. 

If we take WAR into account (and I won't because pitching WAR is lol) then this post is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't see 7 starts costing the Angels 4-5 wins. That is just insane.

Weaver at home gives us a very good shot.

I think this article and the ensuing comments on the board fail to take into account just how hot Richards has been.  Sure you can say it was statistically likely he'd have gone 4-3 to end the year, but Richards has been the hottest pitcher in baseball for 10+ starts now.  I feel like it's just as likely the Angels would've gone 5-2 or 6-1 in his remaining games.  

In games that he starts I'd say 2-5 is probably more likely, if not 1-6. 

I'm sorry, but this post was terrible. Baseball just doesn't work like that. Our offense could choose to hit well in the game Leblanc pitches in, or the pitcher Leblanc ends up going up against could be just as bad/inexperienced as him. 4-3/3-4 is much more likely than 2-5/1-6 with this bullpen, he only needs to be stretched out for 5 innings for us to be competitive in games he pitches.

Your post just sounds like a big old pat on your own back for being the guy who foresaw Richards success before anybody -- and now that he's gone the world is over.

I think the biggest thing is that we need a lot more from CJ Wilson.  He's the most unpredictable factor in the rotation at this point. I think we pretty much know what we're getting out of the other guys at this point. CJ's number has been called, its time for that paycheck to be earned.  Oh and it would be nice if Hamilton could manage not being worthless for the remainder of the season.  He can resume all that next year. (i have no doubt that he will)

Edited by UndertheHalo

This coming from a guy that asks why the Angels would consider trading for a starting pitcher.

You have a serious hard-on for me. Did the 'simpleton' remark hit close to home? It wasn't specifically directed at you but if the shoe fits.

Richards has pitched 168.2 innings and has only given up 124 hits. That's dominating. 4.4 WAR is top 10 in all of MLB for pitchers. You can't replace that. The .566 winning percentage with him on the mound is skewed with four 1 run loses.

Team win % GR starting: .731

Team win % GR not starting: .566

If that non GR win% carries over then they don't have much to worry about as far as getting to the postseason goes.  As others have said the problems arise in the postseason where no matter who they face the opposition will be able to throw a better SP at us.

Whether it was Santiago early  or inconsistent Skaggs or CJ lately, there's been a weak link in the rotation pretty much all season but it's still a .600 team. As long as CJ and everybody else pitches decent they'll be fine. Obviously not as good as they were with G-Rich but still good enough to win it all.

There are 36 games left. Angels are 76-50.

Based on their current .600 winning percentage we could expect the Angels to finish the year 98-64.

With the loss of Richards we instead expect a .566 winning percentage which means a 96-66 record.

So the injury will probably cost us 2 games in the standings. Since we're 2 up on Oakland right now it's anyone division to take.